Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,950 times

Advertisements

We need some Bend advice. We are from Las Vegas and are planning a trip to Winchester Bay, but rather than driving we will be flying into Bend then getting a rental car. We are very excited to finally be able to see Bend as it is #1 on our dream relocation cities. The problem is that we will only have about 4 hours to kill, and we need to know how we could best spend this time. We want to be able to get a good feel for Bend, and maybe see some of its highlights. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in our mid-20's and have a 15mo old daughter. Your help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjames1 View Post
We need some Bend advice. We are from Las Vegas and are planning a trip to Winchester Bay, but rather than driving we will be flying into Bend then getting a rental car. We are very excited to finally be able to see Bend as it is #1 on our dream relocation cities. The problem is that we will only have about 4 hours to kill, and we need to know how we could best spend this time. We want to be able to get a good feel for Bend, and maybe see some of its highlights. We will be there the week of Thanksgiving. We are in our mid-20's and have a 15mo old daughter. Your help is much appreciated!
The airport is actually in Redmond not Bend which is about 20 minutes to the north of Bend. I'm not sure what I would recommend with only 4 hours. Maybe walk around downtown, have lunch and then cruise around Drake park for a bit. This would give you a feel of what downtown is like.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
The airport is actually in Redmond not Bend which is about 20 minutes to the north of Bend. I'm not sure what I would recommend with only 4 hours. Maybe walk around downtown, have lunch and then cruise around Drake park for a bit. This would give you a feel of what downtown is like.
Great advice.

The only thing I'd add is try and check out the Old Mill District just south of downtown, especially if you are interested in redevelopment projects as opposed to purely development. Albeit pretty chain driven area. None the less, it is a beautiful project.

Also, maybe we can give you better advice if you tell us what you are interested in? Do you want to get a sense of the city? The downtown? Housing? Neighborhoods? Or are you more into the outdoors? Like Delta said, 4hours isn't too much time considering you will be burning 1 hour going to a fro the Redmond airport.

Last edited by kapetrich; 07-19-2010 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

174 posts, read 430,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Seattle View Post
We now have put our home in Seattle on the market, so we will be making some decisions pretty soon.

Thanks.
Are you taking a severe hit on your existing home? Or are you just optimistic? We sold a home in 08, and got stomped by the market. We owned it clear, so we could do it, but if we had sold it 2 years earlier, we could have easily realized 30-40% more. Had to do it, and its over now. Cut into our nest egg, however! In fact, there ain't no yolk left!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Default Bend: Outdoors vs culture

We have 2 children, one 9year old and a new born. We would love to move to Bend mainly because of the beautiful outdoors. My husband works from home, I am a landscape architect hoping to find a job in Bend at some point within the next year. My question is, I seem to find a lot of good reviews about the outdoors, and how active people are. We love that too, but I cannot find any information regarding music, live music, museums, art galleries educational displays for kids etc. We live in DC right now, and there are so many places one can take kids to see all kinds of interesting things, or live music for a date night. Is there anything like this in Bend?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura schultz View Post
We have 2 children, one 9year old and a new born. We would love to move to Bend mainly because of the beautiful outdoors. My husband works from home, I am a landscape architect hoping to find a job in Bend at some point within the next year. My question is, I seem to find a lot of good reviews about the outdoors, and how active people are. We love that too, but I cannot find any information regarding music, live music, museums, art galleries educational displays for kids etc. We live in DC right now, and there are so many places one can take kids to see all kinds of interesting things, or live music for a date night. Is there anything like this in Bend?
You do realize that Bend is a relatively small city/large town in Central Oregon, right?!? There is live music going on, but you're going to have a much harder time finding museums, art galleries, and educational displays for kids. It's not a big city. We do have one museum, the High Desert Museum, which is a wildlife and living history museum. It's a beautiful facility, but nothing the likes of the museums in DC. You will find it pretty boring to return to multiple times in a year. We did have a small children's museum, but that has since closed. During the summer Bend has a ton of live music opportunities, check out the Les Schwab amphitheater. However, again, this is all relative to the size of Bend. Taking kids to see "interesting" things here mostly involves the outdoors. You can take your kids hiking, camping, skiing, fishing, etc. but there's not a whole lot of "things" to see other than a few tourism oriented places. You'd be trading big city stuff for small town living stuff.

Finding a job as a landscape architect could also prove to be pretty difficult. While Bend does have some beautifully planned neighborhoods, it's also pretty depressed right now. The city, which at one time employed upwards of 40+ planners, has laid off almost everyone. I imagine the same goes with the architecture department.

Have you actually been to Bend? If not, I would say visit first before committing to the move. It's quite a bit different than the east coast in terms of weather, and then you'll be adding to that the small town versus big city life.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM

76 posts, read 215,131 times
Bend is an amazing (small) city. It is rapidly growing which has also been a sore spot for the area as all the growth (homes/jobs) basically tanked along with the market. Jobs are hard to come by there and the housing market hasnt hit bottom quite yet. But for those who love the outdoors, it is a fantastic place to have a family and raise kids. My own family moved there from CA before coming to Portland. Cycling, skiing, hiking, fishing, camping are abundant. As far as touristy things to do - there isnt much. Living in the High Desert climate is great. Its dry...gets hot in the summer and snows in the winter. Its not rainy and dreary all the time. But when it gets cold, it gets COLD. And I mean freezing. My parents who still live over there were still having nights as low as 30 degrees early June. Everything Delta said is right on par - definitely visit and check things out. Oh and some of the bands that visit Les Schwab Amphitheatre are phenomenal
Welcome to the City of Bend Oregon Website - Home Page
Live on Stage | Old Mill District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend