Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times

Advertisements

We moved from Hilo about 5 years ago and are thinking of moving back. The wife has been over there visiting her sons, and from what I can gather the town hasn't changed much (it's Hilo after all) except that the economy is even worse than ever. Probably the same every where you go in these times. I know the property prices and rents have gone down, and a friend told me there are even FOR RENT signs in the windows, something I've never seen, so we may be OK on housing costs. What scares me is health care. I am retired and make too much to qualify for Quest, and any job the wife gets will probably be back w/ the DOE (yikes!), and it will take her a long time to be a permanent hire and get any benefits. So we'll be going to the Bay Clinic if we have no other choice, which is a place I have bad memories of. I called around and it would seem that doctors are not seeing new patients. You have to go on a waiting list just to see a primary care physician, which is worrisome to say the least. Or, as the woman at United Way told me, you have to know somebody. Same old Hawaii.

So, knowing all the downsides to this possible move, I have a big question. What are folks doing for health care over there? I know the state requires employers to provide coverage to their employees, but I also remember that they are really good about hiring someone for 1 hr less than the requirement, and that way they don't have to comply. W/ few primary care physicians, no sliding scale clinics that I know of other than Bay Clinic, and no access to Quest, how does one get health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Pahoa has a sliding scale clinic, but I don't believe they have an actual doctor; just a physicians assistant? Located in the Pahoa Woodlands Shopping Center.

The Bay Clinic's Pahoa location accepts new clients - I was recently there.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
Thanks for the help. I think the level of answers to this question answers the bigger question as far as Hilo is concerned. There's only the Bay Clinic or full pay at a doctor (once you get on a waiting list and actually get to see one as a new patient) or one of the 2 urgent care facilities in Hilo. Bit unnerving.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
When I moved to Kauai I had to wait 6 months to see an authorized provider within my insurance network.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
There are only a few insurance companies that have either to bothered to comply with or meet Hawaii's regulations about health care insurance.
Start here for answers:
Insurance — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

107 posts, read 91,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We moved from Hilo about 5 years ago and are thinking of moving back. The wife has been over there visiting her sons, and from what I can gather the town hasn't changed much (it's Hilo after all) except that the economy is even worse than ever. Probably the same every where you go in these times. I know the property prices and rents have gone down, and a friend told me there are even FOR RENT signs in the windows, something I've never seen, so we may be OK on housing costs. What scares me is health care. I am retired and make too much to qualify for Quest, and any job the wife gets will probably be back w/ the DOE (yikes!), and it will take her a long time to be a permanent hire and get any benefits. So we'll be going to the Bay Clinic if we have no other choice, which is a place I have bad memories of. I called around and it would seem that doctors are not seeing new patients. You have to go on a waiting list just to see a primary care physician, which is worrisome to say the least. Or, as the woman at United Way told me, you have to know somebody. Same old Hawaii.

So, knowing all the downsides to this possible move, I have a big question. What are folks doing for health care over there? I know the state requires employers to provide coverage to their employees, but I also remember that they are really good about hiring someone for 1 hr less than the requirement, and that way they don't have to comply. W/ few primary care physicians, no sliding scale clinics that I know of other than Bay Clinic, and no access to Quest, how does one get health care?
You do it the old fashioned way - you purchase it. Novel idea - huh!!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Say what, I gots to earn it?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM

138 posts, read 355,111 times
How is the care at the Kaiser in Hilo? I don't go to the doctor much but need to get check ups every 6 months for diabetes and then in case of emergency issues (ie I break a leg). I was looking at an insurance policy that seemed financially reasonable for Kaiser provided the service is at least decent.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM

107 posts, read 91,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
How is the care at the Kaiser in Hilo? I don't go to the doctor much but need to get check ups every 6 months for diabetes and then in case of emergency issues (ie I break a leg). I was looking at an insurance policy that seemed financially reasonable for Kaiser provided the service is at least decent.
You should ask someone who lives in Hilo.....wait a minute... YOU live in Hilo!!!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 AM

239 posts, read 520,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

I think that Hawaii Family Health is still taking new patients. The main doctor is Dr. Duehler. He's a good doctor and there are others in his practice including at least one female doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: