Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 11,643 times

Advertisements

We are finally buying our first home and it is out in Waikoloa. I do have some questions about the area ..

1. How is it like living out there? Can it compare to Hilo or Kona?

2. I've been out Waikoloa about 6 times and everytime I'm there it was always windy and cold but everyone always tell me Waikoloa is crazy hot .. worst then Kona .. huh? is it true?

3. How much are the association dues? Is it due annually or monthly?

4. Private water .. I've never lived any where with private water before.. what's the prices like on avarage? We are a family of 4: mama, dada, kindergartener, and a toddler (2 years old).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 AM

Default One more question ...

How is Waikoloa school?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
I only have a "smarty pants" answer...when we looked, we were told it was called Waika-blowa, due to the winds that blew all the time. Hope you have a better experience. I love the Kona area. Good shopping, food and nice beaches. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Probably less vog then Kona so that's a positive.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
Aloha 808,

Are you working with a buyer's agent? If so he/she should be providing you with documentation to answer questions 3 and 4.

However, for general information that may be useful and for future readers, here are two links that may be good resources for you:

Waikoloa Village Association

Waikoloa Protective Covenants

When I worked with the brokerage that was doing sales for the company building out the Kilohana Kai lots, our Seller's Disclosure was fairly extensive. Hopefully you have had a chance to review a disclosure!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,057 times
My stepson lived in Waikaloa for a year when he worked at one of the hotels. He said that it did indeed get very hot. The sun heats up the bare lava fields, and the heat radiates. Some people like it, but he preferred the cooler, wetter climate of Hilo.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808girl View Post
We are finally buying our first home and it is out in Waikoloa. I do have some questions about the area ..

1. How is it like living out there? Can it compare to Hilo or Kona?

2. I've been out Waikoloa about 6 times and everytime I'm there it was always windy and cold but everyone always tell me Waikoloa is crazy hot .. worst then Kona .. huh? is it true?

3. How much are the association dues? Is it due annually or monthly?

4. Private water .. I've never lived any where with private water before.. what's the prices like on avarage? We are a family of 4: mama, dada, kindergartener, and a toddler (2 years old).

Thank you!
Not to be an a$$, but how can you be buying a home if you have not already researched this information? You better find out before you end up stuck with something you either don't like or can't sell to anyone else.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Not to be an a$$, but how can you be buying a home if you have not already researched this information? You better find out before you end up stuck with something you either don't like or can't sell to anyone else.
Well ... questions 1 and 2, I wanted other people input.

question 3: I heard it's $600 a year but that's it .. thats all our broker told us.

question 4: I honestly don't know how much water is and want some input. I lived on water catchment for 20 years and my broker didn't tell be what the rates are.

I love the house, love the location! And why wouldn't I be able to sell it to "anyone else"? It's not that I can't afford the fees or the water .. I just wanted the exact cost for the dues and to know a estimate for the water so I can make a budget.

Thank you everyone else!!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
This is why people who move to Hawaii, often move back. Something catches them by surprise, it becomes an issue, then doubt sets in and the packing for the mainland commences.

The amount of research people do obviously varies widely. Some people move someplace sight unseen, others have to live six months/a year before they settle on a neighborhood. And every increment in between.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
We moved to Waikoloa Village in August 2010. It's a very beautiful place. Warm, sometimes it seems hot, windy (usually, hence the name, Waiko-blowa). Less humidity than Kona or down by the ocean, gotta love that, also a bit cooler here than there. Less noise, less traffic. Perfect. Also, drier than Waimea ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island