U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 PM

64 posts, read 167,784 times

Advertisements

I left Hilo 4 years ago after graduating from UHH.

There is one movie theater in Hilo... it is decent. They have a walmart and a small mall (with the movie theater).

There are not many sandy beaches at all. The closest ones are kind of rocky, but there is one good surf spot about a 13-15 minute drive from Hilo.

It RAINS... It RAINS a lot lol. If you do not like rain, do not live in Hilo lol.

I love rain personally. Most of the rain falls at night after 4 pm to 9 am the next day. During the day time there is much less rain, but because it rains so much, it probably will not feel that way to you. If I woke up in the middle of the night, often it was pouring rain, and the sound would lull me right back to sleep.

Hilo is pretty safe as far as I could tell. The douchebags come out at night so I would not recommend walking the streets at 2 am. There are some sketchy folk out at that hour. It is not like Japan where attractive woman can walk home at 2 am in short skirts, but it is not like Washington D.C. either. I never had any problems, but a friend of mine had her TV jacked and her house robbed while she was at work. Another big thing is moped theft. If you drive a scooter and you do not lock it up with a couple locks, you are asking for it.

The people in Hilo are really friendly in my opinion. My neighbors would leave fresh fruit outside my door that I could eat when I woke up for breakfast. It was a pleasant surprise every time.

There is absolutely no night life. There is like, one bar, and like... well, basically nothing else... You will be limited to house parties.

When it is not raining, it is GORGEOUS.

I highly recommend Hilo to anyone that likes to relax.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,016,531 times
Lots of mis-info here.
Prince Kuhio Theaters (in the mall) has 9 screens, is stadium seating and is top of the line.
Rain in Hilo varies by season. November to February is generally considered to be the rainy season.
It doesn't rain every day, nor does it rain every night.
Hilo, like all of the Big Island, is a very sleepy area. After dark, things go quiet rather quickly.
At lunch time, many places either close or semi-shut down.

There are easily 15+ bars/taverns throughout Hilo.

However, people are very friendly and helpful. Be respectful and you will easily get respect back to you.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 AM

11,033 posts, read 22,566,532 times
As well as a festive new mural where the door into KTA used to be.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM

404 posts, read 823,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Lots of mis-info here.
Prince Kuhio Theaters (in the mall) has 9 screens, is stadium seating and is top of the line.
Rain in Hilo varies by season. November to February is generally considered to be the rainy season.
Hilo, like all of the Big Island, is a very sleepy area. After dark, things go quiet rather quickly.

However, people are very friendly and helpful. Be respectful and you will easily get respect back to you.
How about the Hilo Palace Theater at Palace Main Page ? I found out about it because I like theater organs and the Hilo Palace has one.

If all y'all young whippersnappers have not experienced the sounds of a theater organ, y'all better find one in your area and give it a listen. Great stuff - especially if they are showing a silent film and accompanying it with the organ.

Mickey

Last edited by MickeyE; 11-16-2010 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Add a comment!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 AM

64 posts, read 167,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Lots of mis-info here.

I can't help but feel that was directed towards me. I think perhaps you read my words incorrectly. My post was highly accurate and not mis-information.

Prince Kuhio Theater being "decent" means "good".

I did not say that it rained every day. I said that when it rains, it rains the most at night and tends to rain less during the day comparatively. I measured the rainfall in Hilo over the course of 3 months for a science report so I am well aware of the rainfall patterns there. I was just giving the OP a heads up on what kind of weather to expect.

You are correct, there were times in Hilo where I didn't see any rain for 2 weeks, and other times it RAINED EVERY DAY FOR 10 DAYS STRAIGHT. lol

It would be untrue to say that it doesn't rain all the time in Hilo. It rains a heck of a lot. There is roughly 150-180 inches of rainfall in Hilo every year, which is roughly 5 times more than most places on the mainland.

As for the bars and taverns, I don't doubt there being 13, but I never saw them ever. I am guessing they suck. I had never even heard of anyone going to a bar in Hilo. House parties were much more common in my experience.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM

129 posts, read 516,299 times
Maybe you don't get out much Lomistick, but there are about a half-dozen nice places to go have a drink or catch live music in Hilo. Pahoa has a more hopping night scene on the weekends, and is worth the drive if you're IN Hilo. But if you are, the Emerald is fun. But there are literally tons of pubs and such, you just have to seek them out.

I've "heard" of all these through word of mouth, been to a few, and have had a great time. But it's all about attitude I guess The live music is great, and so are the local beers.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 AM

74 posts, read 159,289 times
I don't live on the Big Island, but will be moving there. My place is about 15 miles from Hilo. I really like the town of Hilo very much. They have a fine farmers market. You can easily spend a day wandering around Hilo on foot. Nice waterfront areas and shops to check out. Good and reasonable restaurants. We ate at a little place this last November. Can't remember the name. I had a cup of clam chowder. I didn't know what to expect because I live near Seattle/Tacoma where every restaurant has clam chowder. I was pleasantly surprised when the clam chowder was every bit as good as the best I'd ever had. I told the cook how great it was, and that maybe they should play up that chowder!!

Went to the Astronomy Museum,and enjoyed that. We did get caught in a very heavy rain-that's when we ducked in to eat. You've got lots of shopping in Hilo. Sorry the Borders closed up. There is a Home Depot, Wal Mart, Sears, and, important to me as an old motorcyclist, a Suzuki shop on Kawili Street.

We're going to retire on the Big Island, and I'm sure we'll end up going to Hilo once a week or so.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM

53 posts, read 130,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
I don't live on the Big Island, but will be moving there. My place is about 15 miles from Hilo. I really like the town of Hilo very much. They have a fine farmers market. You can easily spend a day wandering around Hilo on foot. Nice waterfront areas and shops to check out. Good and reasonable restaurants. We ate at a little place this last November. Can't remember the name. I had a cup of clam chowder. I didn't know what to expect because I live near Seattle/Tacoma where every restaurant has clam chowder. I was pleasantly surprised when the clam chowder was every bit as good as the best I'd ever had. I told the cook how great it was, and that maybe they should play up that chowder!!
I was once a waitress in another lifetime and my small diner type place served clam chowder. One day a very elderly couple (they looked to be in their mid to late 80's) came in and ordered the clam chowder. Afterward they called me over and the man said to me, "I've been eating clam chowder up and down the eastern seaboard my whole life and this is the best clam chowder I've ever eaten! Make sure you tell the cook!".

It was Campbells. Out of a giant can. I didn't tell them this of course.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM

51 posts, read 75,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuicake View Post
I was once a waitress in another lifetime and my small diner type place served clam chowder. One day a very elderly couple (they looked to be in their mid to late 80's) came in and ordered the clam chowder. Afterward they called me over and the man said to me, "I've been eating clam chowder up and down the eastern seaboard my whole life and this is the best clam chowder I've ever eaten! Make sure you tell the cook!".

It was Campbells. Out of a giant can. I didn't tell them this of course.
MSG does do wonders

Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 26,987,791 times
A lot of visitors are surprised how small Hilo is. It's a sleepy town of 40,000+ , where the downtown area is pretty much the same as it was before WWII, and the stores mostly close at 4:30. The Post Office closes at 4. There are a few shops and restaurants open later, but the streets are pretty much deserted by 9.

There are several modern shopping centers clustered together on Highway 11 south of the beach where you can find some chain stores... WalMart, Sears, Macy's, Ross, Office Max, Home Depot... but most of the businesses there are local. There are a LOT of things you will not be able to find, even if you drive a couple of hours around to Kona to shop at Target or Costco.

But this is a remote island, farther from land than any other point on earth. Don't come here expecting mainland conveniences or lifestyle. Come here to explore a totally different lifestyle, or you will be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island