Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,925 times

Advertisements

ok here is my basic question about getting the ammo along with my reloading gear and powder to my new home on the big island ..for this is going to a big issuse with me over moveing there or not moveing after my retirement ..

ammo and reloading gear on the manifest of the conex box and how much ammo can i legally bring with me ..i know about the socalled i.d card from the chiefs of police along haveing to have a doctor say iam not crazy and i can own a rifle or pistol as by hawaii law .. .. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,933 times
Really?
With whom are you at war with?
Perhaps Idaho is more your kinda place.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 AM

i belive in the old saying of it better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it ..beside i lived up there and i like the islands better..

Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
..i know about the socalled i.d card from the chiefs of police along haveing to have a doctor say iam not crazy and i can own a rifle or pistol as by hawaii law .. .. ..
What's that all about? Hawaii law about an i.d. card by chief of police.

Is that something unique to Hawaii...or common throughout most of the States?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 AM

you have to be fringerprinted and have a background check along with have a doctor check you out any mental health problems. to make sure you not crazy or a have drug or alcohol problems in your background ..so that means if you got drunk in 1999 as passed out in a car or a public place and got a dui or public drunkness out of it ..you may not get a permit if the chief of police thinks that you can not handle the facts of owning a firearms if you have a drug or alcohol problems ..

you have to go to the local police station and have the guns registered by 72 hours after comeing into the state of hawaii with the firearms then your firearms are now on file with the police dept ..which in my personal option is a joke ..it just tells someone who is smart enough to hack a computer system where to find a firearm ..then when go and buy a handgun or rifle the police chief has up to 14 days to do a basic background

i grew up hunting and handleing firearms all my life in Utah from beening kid that hunted with my family to the military and the gunsite training course that i have taken over the years to be on the sheriff dept as a revesrve deputy in Utah for over 15 years now and i think it funny that a doctor has to give me a clean bill of mental health to own a firearm along with the fact i own what is know as class three or title 4 weapons with a complete background check and fringer print card sent into the ATF crawled up my backside for about three months to the Neveda gameing commission background check to the military who have done a complete back ground check on me along with a four diff states CCW lics to carry a weapon as need in a concealed state when outside the house..

so i find it funny as heck to hear a person tell me on the phone that i need a doctor clearance paper to own a firearm when i have so many background checks in my file i feel that i have my own special drawer at the NCIC center and offered to fax over all the info about the other states paperwork .. ..

i own one full automatic m4 style assult rifles with suppressor or silencers on them along with two pistol suppressor unit for a 1911 and a 22.lr pistol.so if i move i have to get rid of them before i move the big island ..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 AM

i do not hunt anymore since it only me in the house and i do not see the need for takeing a animal life because of not needing the meat..when i had a wife and kids in the house ..we garden and hunted to put meat on the table and it was a way of helping keeping the cost of food down in the house ..plus it was a family affair with us takeing the kids out to the stands with us and letting them have a little fun in the woods with us as a family..

i do not belive in the socalled trophy hunter typles ..i mainly now target shoot for fun i love killing paper targets on the range and have a sidearm for personal protection as for now days i have worked in a few bad places and have had a few threats againest my life ..so it better to have and not ever need it and need it and not have it..

plus it take time for the police to arrive on scene and it can be up to a hour away if something happens so it better to have something than nothing ..

Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 PM

436 posts, read 953,285 times
Are guns unpopular in Hawaii? Odd. It seems like Hawaii is kind of a pro-freedom place.

I think that the mental check requirement will quickly be deemed unconstitutional in light of McDonald. The registration and I.D. card may be allowed to stand.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:26 PM

82 posts, read 205,804 times
As stated in the previous post you have 72 hours to register your firearms upon arrival in Hawaii with the police department of your county of residence (there are only four). You get to hold onto your guns during the two week registration period. If you buy additional guns once you get here though you will need to wait the two weeks before picking up your new firearms at the gun or sporting good store. Yes our gun laws are restrictive but we can still own AR-15s and even .50 cal. weapons. Just no pistol magazines greater than ten rounds. Check out Hawaii Rifle Association...

Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Are guns unpopular in Hawaii? Odd. It seems like Hawaii is kind of a pro-freedom place.

I think that the mental check requirement will quickly be deemed unconstitutional in light of McDonald. The registration and I.D. card may be allowed to stand.
Hawaii has one of the lowest crime rate involving firearms in the US, below that of places like North dakota and even Wyoming.

The medical check requirment is not a medical checkuop but the standard mental heath clearence. If you have some form of past mental health issue in your records, you will be required to get a clearnce examination, but for 99% of the people, it's a computerized check.

Hawaii lets you own guns for personal home protection but limits carry permits off your property.

When we arrive in Hawaii, we have to turn in our firearms to the Sheriff when we are finished our duties and pick them up when we return to work.

Hawaii is very tough on criminals using firearms when they pull off crimes. And I;m sure some criminals who have access to guns don't take them because of how hard things could get for them if caught.

Hawaii has a love hate relationship with guns. They love them for their personal use of home protection, shooting at the range and hunting, but hate them anywhere else in public. Of the handguns confiscated by criminals and set to mainland smelter, almost all were stolen from people who had them at their homes. few are imported for criminals. But that may be changing as more and more people from the mainland come to Hawaii and insist on having their dozen guns. More pople bring in guns just because they want guns makes for more guns to be stolen and in the hands of criminals.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
ammo and reloading gear on the manifest of the conex box and how much ammo can i legally bring with me
You list the reloading items just like a toaster or TV would be listed. Ammo has to be decalred so contact your shipper to see what they require. You can bring up to the weight of the contaioner so long as you can prove its for personal use. Most people don't bring lots of loaded rounds since it's easier to just ship hte parts and assemble them when they arrive.

The important thing is to make sure the shipper is aware that you have gunpowder in the container and how much. Not declaring it can jam you up. Although few containers are inspected leaving the mainland for Hawaii, if it is and gunpowder found and not declared, your container is sitting in an impound yard on the mainland until you physically show up and explain. This is not about guns or gun rights but a DOT & USCG hazardious materials shipping procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island