Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM

60 posts, read 74,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It does happen all the time, just read the Rural board on CD or the moving board or some of the local area boards, you will see people post over and over again about moving to an area and not being accepted. They move from the city and don't feel they are being accepted by the local folks. They move from the north to the south and feel they are not being accepted because they are yankees. back in the 2000's we heard it all the time about how local people here and there not accepting californians and not accepting them.
What make this a shocking thing on Hawaii is because the people not being accepted and the people not doing the accepting look different in some ethnic way. It is easy to make the reason racial or ethnical or cultural instead of coming out and saying, maybe its because I'm the new guy trying a little to hard to be accepted.
But its not anyones fault when you think that if it was a white moving from Oregon to a black area of Georgia, you can bet your last dollar that they would make the rejection as some black thing. But if they moved to a white community in Texas they can't play the race or ethnic card because thye are the same. they may say its because they are Catholic and the Texans are Baptist, or They drive a Hionda and the Texans drive Fords. But they can't use the race or ethnic excuse.
have you ever been to some places in the Us where a certain nationality is dominated? If your name isn;t Sven it takes a long time to be accepted in the local community, but do you hear anyone even mention the ethnic or cultural or racial issue? But if you moved to a place mostly of a group that has diffrent skin color, they can be doing the exact same thing but the race and ethcic card pops up because there is a racial diffrence. Same exact treatment but to some its now for a completely different reason.
Perhaps, but I have lived on the east coast, west coast, gulf coast, midwest, rocky mountains and Hawaii, and never really noted acceptance being an issue.

Maybe it is my good looks, charm, sense of humor or smile, but I seem to get along ok. My wife is Filipina, my doctor Chinese, my shrink from Pakistan or India (never asked), and I am the only cracker in our work group. Perhaps people need to check a calender for the year. I believe it is 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the county has the codes and the approval process allready in place and it been dealt with since 1950 or 51 era when the state wide system for this type of places came into effect from the civil defense act when it was passed from that time era that all building who could and did meet the codes and standards of the the hawaii civil defense building standard that where written in 1951 and revised in 1988 time frame . all you would have to do it do a basic rewite of the some of the codes to meet the new standards of underground home building along with new type of underground homes that come bult ready to be droped into the ground . ..

i did my homework on the building and codes along with checking out a couple of people who do engineering there and they said it would not have a problem passing hawaii building codes ....

theven with the process takeing time for have to figure out the how and the way of doing this i could understand.. but to get nothing from them is not a good way to run a county goverment ..
Iʻm sorry you donʻt get it I really am.
Whit what you say you are trying to change things.

you want an underground house! Why? cuz you like it . good ! no great there is nothing wrong with it I honestly commend you. But its new here so its a change! its that simple.
You say you talked to engineers and they say no problem it can be done. But back to the point its different and it would change things.
This happens all around the world every day not just here in Hawaii. Hawaii does not think of itself so special that they donʻt have to change they think like everyone else as to why should we change this is the way we do it I/We donʻt have to do it there way and they wonʻt make us.
Its a conundrum plane and simple.
Now that said it will not be impossible for you to get your tube planted int the ground in Hawaii it will just take you a lot longer than planned and it will cost you a lot more to deal with the road blocks you will encounter I see this everyday around the world.

Good luck
Now back to our regularly scheduled OP

Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Iʻm sorry you donʻt get it I really am.
Whit what you say you are trying to change things.

you want an underground house! Why? cuz you like it . good ! no great there is nothing wrong with it I honestly commend you. But its new here so its a change! its that simple.
You say you talked to engineers and they say no problem it can be done. But back to the point its different and it would change things.
This happens all around the world every day not just here in Hawaii. Hawaii does not think of itself so special that they donʻt have to change they think like everyone else as to why should we change this is the way we do it I/We donʻt have to do it there way and they wonʻt make us.
Its a conundrum plane and simple.
Now that said it will not be impossible for you to get your tube planted int the ground in Hawaii it will just take you a lot longer than planned and it will cost you a lot more to deal with the road blocks you will encounter I see this everyday around the world.

Good luck
Now back to our regularly scheduled OP
And they wonder why they are poor!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I have no idea who you are tasliking to but Honolulu County has the most regulations on the book to cover factory build or pre-built homes. yet there were still many things that were not addressed in local codes and those had to be addressed before approval. I seriously doubt that Hawaii County codes are more favorable to factory built or pre builts than Honolulu County so I think someone is yanking your chain on this.
1. Does your "home" have a Insignia of Approval?
2. Do you have stamped arcitect or engineer plans for the "home"
3. Do you have affidavits of inpspections by your local building inspectors saying what code it was inspected to?
4. Do you have Matreial Specification sheets that the wood product in this ghome meets hawaii codes?

I have no idea what missmash your talking about in this civil defense whatever nonsense. But if those items above are missing, they are not going to approve the home unless it can be physically inspected by their inspectors before being placed on the land. We bring over factory, modular, and prebuilt structersd all the time for diffrent industries and I know for a fact you can't just bring over what you have on the mainland and except Hawaii to accept it. The codes are what they are an no amount of 1950's era this ior that changes building codes for residential. Even premade modular structures that are outfitted for specific use such as a communication srelay building, or labortory, or school room has to meet Hawaii's codes if they are permeent buildings before they can be placed on the land.

We could have purchased a manufactured home in the west and shipped it to hawaii but it would have to be inspected just like any other home being built. Since the walls and everything were already inplace, we would need everything i mentioned above. our saving garce was buying a Hud Code tagged manufactured home that meet the regional requirments for a Pacific island and that allowed us to by-pass local building codes for the structure but not for everything else. What does your thing have to require Hawaii to accept it just because you want it to be accepted?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
Before I moved from the South to the Pacific Northwest 13 years ago, I read something on moving in general that said, "Expect to be homesick for at least six months to a year, to have trouble adapting to some of the changes you encounter, and to miss things you didn't expect to miss. If you're still unahppy after two years, then you probably made the wrong move. Remember, you can always move back." Based on that, I promised myself that I'd spend at least two years in the PNW. Even if I didn't like it, I reasoned that I'd at least see some spectacular new scenery and have some experiences I wouldn't otherwise have had. For the first year, I was indeed homesick, and I figured I'd move back to the South, but I was determined to stick it out for two years. By the end of the second year, the PNW was home, and I knew I'd never return to the South. So I respectfully suggest that two months isn't anywhere near long enough to decide that the BI isn't right for you, even though that ultimately might prove to be the case.

I haven't lived on the BI, but my wife is from there, I've spent a lot of time there, and we hope to retire there. We have several friends there (including whites) who moved from the Mainland long ago and became fully accepted into the community. On only a few occasions have I gotten attitude from locals based on what I assumed was my "Mainland haole" status -- but then, I've gotten attitude from some people in every place I've ever lived; there are jerks everywhere. Granted, the fact that I married a Hilo gal gave me instant entre into her circle of family and friends, after they checked me out and decided I was a decent guy and was treating her well. But there are behaviors that will help you get accepted, and behaviors that will prevent it. The kind of brusque, to-the-point attitude that's normal in the Northeast, for example (which is where I'm originally from), is considered rude in Hawaii. So is bragging or being sarcastic. What will get you accepted is being extremely friendly, polite, humble, helpful, and interested in what other people have to say, to an extent that would be considered over the top in many parts of the Mainland.

We recently got back from a trip to Hawaii, and I met a lot of my wife's old friends and classmates at a high-school reunion, and I found it extremely easy to connect with them. I understand the cultural norms, but it also helps that they're in line with my own personality and temperament. I feel comfortable there, because I'm able to shed some of the Mainland armor that never felt natural to me to begin with. In other words, most locals (or at least the ones I've associated with for the past decade) won't shun you on the basis of being a Mainlander, but they will shun you if they perceive you to be an arrogant, entitled Mainlander who feels superior to them. I've witnessed instances of Mainland tourists treating waiters, hotel desk clerks, and other service-industry people very badly, when they did nothing to deserve it. Dealing with that over the years does cause resentment in some people.

As for things getting done more slowly, and certain other "Third World" attributes, well, that's part of it, too. It bugs my wife now, having gotten used to Mainland efficiency and modernity. You just have to balance it against all the positive things about living in Hawaii. As many others have said, it isn't for everyone -- and that's fine.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminicricket View Post
Perhaps, but I have lived on the east coast, west coast, gulf coast, midwest, rocky mountains and Hawaii, and never really noted acceptance being an issue.

Maybe it is my good looks, charm, sense of humor or smile, but I seem to get along ok. My wife is Filipina, my doctor Chinese, my shrink from Pakistan or India (never asked), and I am the only cracker in our work group. Perhaps people need to check a calender for the year. I believe it is 2010.
Acceptance is a very wide road. When i moved to my current home, I knew that being new I wasn't going to be like the person who grew up down the road, thats just the way it was. I had people ask me when I first move here if i was Russian and I answered I'm Nevadan. I knew that when I wrote my name i would get the looks because as they start to pronounce it Zo-Co-Knock-O-Witches? Viches?, and they knew right away I not from these parts. I'm not morman so of course I;m looked at a little diffrent. I work for a foreign company does doen't have an amaerican flag on its tail, you know that raises the sideways glances alot. I walk into the diner still in my work cloths and you would think your in the movie The Russians Are Comming. Yet i am a third generation amaerican citizen but i know there is always going to be that hesitation to 100% fully accept me for everything but my skin color.

But I had that same exact response when I live on hawaii, and I get that exact same response when I'm in Philly. None of it has anything to do with my skin color (or lack of it ) or their skin color, or their race, or their ehtnicity, it has almost all to do with being a new person in a strange place and carrying questions for everyone. I travel all over the world and I get this many places even areas mostly white. So why is it racial on hawaii, but not racial in France? Why must it be about skin color on Hawaii and not skin color in the UK? Its the same thing.

Many of the people I met who once tried to live on hawaii don't understand why I don't think that the initial hesitation on being welcomed into the local hawaiian community with open arms was because of my skin color. I am almost an outcast among other white former Hawaii residents because I will not make race the reason things didn't work out. It didn't work out because I didn't listen to the native Hawaiian i was replacing and ran into problems of my own creation.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:07 PM

129 posts, read 535,299 times
Nice post Honuman!

But 'Third World'? Hahahah- none of these people saying that have ever been to a 'Third world' (correct: 'peripheral') nation, apparently....

Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
"Heck, they wouldn't even have iron, steel, copper or aluminum without the outside world spoon-feeding it to them. To be honest, I think their attitude is a bit an?l."

I fear it may be much more of a reaction to "attitude" than to skin color. I guess that we just should be grateful that such exalted personages deign to grace us with their superior knowledge of implements...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default oh Henry...Henry...

My friend, you can hollar and scream and jump up and down all you want. The more you do the longer it will take. I will say one thing, though, I sense a very serious language barrier.
Koale

Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
"Heck, they wouldn't even have iron, steel, copper or aluminum without the outside world spoon-feeding it to them. To be honest, I think their attitude is a bit an?l."

I fear it may be much more of a reaction to "attitude" than to skin color. I guess that we just should be grateful that such exalted personages deign to grace us with their superior knowledge of implements...
Exactly. Way too much attitude on the part of people who feel that they have a monopoly on some part of the USA.

It is 2010, and this acceptance BS is like black & white TV. I don't give a rip if you or anyone else doesn't accept me. It is America, I am an American, and I will live where I please. Your acceptance is not required, desired or sought. However, you can rest assured my acceptance of you is automatic. I don't play that game.

As I stated earlier, I have lived everywhere in the U.S. and overseas, and never had an issue. Perhaps some people didn't like it, but I never detected it. I just lived my life as I saw fit, and neither told others how to live, nor condemned their lives

Really, the bigotry on the part of some people is nauseating.

We all have something to offer to society. Cultural, technological etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island