Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM

14 posts, read 30,631 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are a family of 5 looking to move to Hilo. We visited the Big Island this summer and we felt like we had come home. When we were there, we made an effort to not "go tourist" so we could really get a feel for things - bought groceries, gas, did our own driving/sightseeing, ate at restaurants off the "tourist track". We even hung out with a couple of local families at Waipio Valley. After we sell our house in Texas, we will be in a position to live for a year or two comfortably, even if we have difficulty finding work. I will have my Texas standard teacher certification in May and my husband will be completing his degree in Hilo with a HI teaching certificate. Our goal is to both be teachers somewhere on the east side if the island.
We have 3 kids - ages 7, 8 and 14. Our oldest will be entering high school next fall and the little ones will be in 2nd and 3rd.
We have researched and researched nearly every day since we came home from our trip and think we have a good understanding of the pros and cons. Biggest pro for us: lifestyle change. We are not people addicted to convenience. Here in Texas, we are losing the battle of Keeping Up with the Jones's. We're the wierd people in our neighborhood who's cars aren't spit shined and nearly new, we don't panic if our yard han't been landscaped in the last week, and we usually get a lot of our clothes at thrift or resale.
My biggest (and almost only) con is the loss of being 10 miles away from my parents. Any thoughts from someone else who has had that expereince would be appreciated.
Just looking for input from those who are there already and those who have done the same. I think we can figure the logistics out, it's the psychological element I would like input on.
Thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Well, I think that it depends, but it is a lifestyle change. I think that you will adjust fine. Don't take alot of junk when you move, get rid of everything. Maybe store a few things at your parents home if you can. Then, when you move, you can sleep on ari mattresses until you can afford beds, live cheap. I have done this with kids, and it is like camping. The, only issue, as far as viisting relatives goes, is that plane fare can be very pricey. Once you make a big move, you may regret it..but you can always move back, it just takes you back financially.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
How are the grand parents going to handle having the kids so far away? Will they be ok with seeing the kids once a year instead of once a week/month? How will you handle holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas being so far away from family?

We try to Skype with our family a couple of times a month. It helps, but it's not nearly the same as being there. Depending on your level of closeness with your family, this could be a big issue.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Since you will be teachers, you should do fine. Teachers and nurses are about the only ones who can get jobs right now on the big island.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the input!
No, of course Mawmaw and Pawpaw will not like seeing the kids once or twice a year....this is a given. We would probably have them with us over Christmas and we would make a trip home in the summer.
We are very close, but my brother manages to have no issues - granted he only lives in Dallas (4 hours away), but his family and our parents really only see each other 3-4 times a year. They use Skype as well and it works for them. ugh......Even my ex doesn't have as many issues with our 14 year old being in Hawaii as my parents would about their grandkids being there! In actuality, he would see his son more this way (1-2 months of time in the summer/winter). They do not visit regularly even though we live in the same city.
This really just becomes an issue of family and nothing else.
Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 PM

81 posts, read 220,934 times
I'm getting my teaching cert right now here in Hilo and have been advised that the only teachers being placed are in Sped; English and Social studies are REALLY hard to get placed, you would have to move to Oahu or Maui for those. I had thought of getting my English Cert since this was my undergrad. I was told we had a huge influx of Teach for America grads that snatched up most of the openings and they have 2 year contracts. So teaching depends on your field. If you're willing to drive to Kau or Kona you may do ok. One thing to note is that moving your kids to a school system in Hawaii will be a big shock to them, so maybe renting for the first year to see how everyone adjusts would make sense. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Luckily, my cert is in SpecEd and middle school science. My husband will be getting his in Science as well. I also have my Bachelor's in Healthcare Admin, so I am hoping between the two, I will be ok. Thanks for that info - we need people with feet on the ground there to give us insight.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemom View Post
luckily, my cert is in speced and middle school science. My husband will be getting his in science as well.
b i n g o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island