Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 16,696 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - I have an opportunity to take a position in Hilo but don't particularly like all the precipitation all year. Thinking about living in the Kona area and driving to Hilo. How much driving time would that be or would it be better to get a small apt in Hilo and just go home on weekends? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
It would be over 2 hours each way. Alot of people are actually in the opposite situation, work in Kona and live in Hilo and they do just that sometimes. Stay with a friend or rent something small for the work days.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Aloha ,

The commute is done but its long and hard. Saddle road it the fastes rout it takes about 2 hours on a good clear day add a half hour on a good clear night. Now lets talk weather, traffic and road work! traffic can hold you up on the up and down slops there is few if any passing spots. weather can hit suddenly and hard and viability will drop to zero. road work has been going on in a continuous process for a few years now with no end in site and can stop traffic for a long time.
The other routs are the south rout over volcano it takes like 3 hours. the northern rout is about 2.5 hours and can be full of traffic speed limits range from 35 to 55 but lots of 35. I recomend looking on the east side of the island

Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 16,696 times
Thanks much for the comments, very helpful. I'm a high school teacher and will be teaching at Waiakea High School in Hilo. Really not crazy about all the rainfall in Hilo so will probably be going home on weekends. Still have a Sophmore and 5th grader at home so any ideas on best schools in the Kailua Kona area? Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM

312 posts, read 1,373,884 times
I can't tell you about schools, but I lived in Kona and would go to Mauna Kea once a week for a job, then I'd keep going to Hilo afterwards and do things over there 1-2 times a week. The Hilo part was purley for fun and nothing obligated me. I really think it depends on the person; i always looked forward to the drive and the sights, smells, etc. The drive never bothered me-but I wasn't forced to do it either. I think you'll be surprised that the weather/precipitation won't be as much of a downer as you think and you'll probably be fine with taking trips whenever you want to Kona or other parts of the island without needing to every weekend for a living situation. and really, save the money and use it for fun things instead of having to pay for 2 places to live. If you don't like just staying in Hilo, you can always mix it up later, i think it's best to start of there perminantly at first! They are both wonderful towns and both have their pluses over each other. Give it a shot beacause even Hilos rainy days probably won't be what you expect!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratd View Post
Thanks much for the comments, very helpful. I'm a high school teacher and will be teaching at Waiakea High School in Hilo. Really not crazy about all the rainfall in Hilo so will probably be going home on weekends. Still have a Sophmore and 5th grader at home so any ideas on best schools in the Kailua Kona area? Thanks again.
Ok I know you donʻt like rain but it does not rain all the time on the east side. Look at some rental properties and give it a try. My wife and I thought we only liked Kona but after a month in Hilo we do not like to go to Kona lol.

Now about the schools!

You have one high school-er and one soon to be. Did you know that you will be teaching at one of the best schools (Public! I donʻt want to start anything) on this Island so why wouldn't you want your kids there ?

Also I donʻt recommend alienating yourself from your co-workers by removing yourself from the area when not working Hawaii is a very social community and things happen all the time and by missing out you will miss out on making friends.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
As I said in another thread, you cannot use mainland experiences to guage what island experiences will be like. Do you even know what "rains a lot" in Hilo means? I live in Volcano, where it rains even more, but the rain often comes overnight, leaving everything fresh in the morning when the sun comes out.

Deliberately putting yourself in a position where you'd have to commute 2-2.5 hours each way on good days, with gasoline over $3.50 a gallon, seems to me an enormous waste of your time and money. That approach really only makes sense if you already own a home in one place and happen to get a job in the other, and are willing to make the big sacrifice of time and money necessary.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
There are places on the east side much drier than Hilo. Lower Paradise Park, Kapoho and the Kalapana coast receive much less rain and are only about 30-45 minutes from town.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
If you do decide to try living in Hilo, know that the Waiakea Uka area is possibly the wettest part of town! I lived at the bottom of Waiakea for about five years. But, it's not as bad as you might think. Especially the last few years. There will be weeks that get to you, but the rains come hard and fast, then disappear. 10-plus inches in a day is possible. I've seen a few of those days in Hilo...

I worked at Waiakea as an EA for about a year. You'll meet some great folks on staff there. Judy Kruse was my supervisor. She was a VP for a while, but I think she's back in the classroom again. Good luck with your first year!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 PM

84 posts, read 152,268 times
I must say, I wish I had your problem. Hawaii or Hawaii? Still, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island