U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 157,942 times

Advertisements

As a person that will be moving to the Big Island in a year or so, I'm wondering about bringing firearms to Hawaii.

I have heard that handguns are quite frowned upon on the island, so am starting the process of selling them on consignment at gun shops. Generally rifles and shotguns are okay I believe, but one must take all firearms to a police station and register them. Is that correct? What about a semi-auto rifle? Specifically an SKS carbine.Anyone have any knowledge of the process?

I am only asking as I want to stay 100% within the laws of Hawaii. We'll be in the Puna District near Keauu.

Thank you for any comments,

Jon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 10,923,483 times
Yes, you have to take all guns to the police station and register them.
The process involved for gun ownership here is beyond reasonable.
Technically, Hawaii County has a concealed carry law as well.
However, it has been noted by the local newspapers that in the years since the law passed, no one has been allowed a permit. The Chief of Police has sole signing power and has refused all attempts.
The only exceptions are for police and a few people employed in the security industry (armored cars).

Firearms Registration (http://www.hawaiipolice.com/topPages/gunRegistration.html - broken link)

Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 124,943 times
Jon,
This has been talked about extensively on Punaweb and is still in the archives. I mention this because I see you there and loved your recent post about the oranges!
Lucy

Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM

74 posts, read 157,942 times
Thanks, Lucy.I'll do a search there also. We're comiong over from Feb 6th through the 14th and, especially after the 14 degree weather this morning,we are more than ready!! Alas--I hear that we probably won't have any ripe oranges. Words cannot desribe how much I love those oranges!

Mahalo, Jon

Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM

45 posts, read 124,943 times
Reading your post about the oranges made me want to be on the BI so badly, you don't know how much! I lived in Bellevue and have family in Kent, so I know what you mean!
After that cold you deserve a bit of warmth!
Lucy

Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,293,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
As a person that will be moving to the Big Island in a year or so, I'm wondering about bringing firearms to Hawaii.

I have heard that handguns are quite frowned upon on the island, so am starting the process of selling them on consignment at gun shops. Generally rifles and shotguns are okay I believe, but one must take all firearms to a police station and register them. Is that correct? What about a semi-auto rifle? Specifically an SKS carbine.Anyone have any knowledge of the process?

I am only asking as I want to stay 100% within the laws of Hawaii. We'll be in the Puna District near Keauu.

Thank you for any comments,

Jon
iam takeing a 1911 pistol and a S&W model 49 revolver with me when iam move there full time and they did not give me much trouble ..i do know nothing over 10.rds type of magazines are allowed on the island that way a lot of the guys i have talked to say the 1911 pistol is the king of the island for home defense there ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Yes, you have to take all guns to the police station and register them.
The process involved for gun ownership here is beyond reasonable.
Technically, Hawaii County has a concealed carry law as well.
However, it has been noted by the local newspapers that in the years since the law passed, no one has been allowed a permit. The Chief of Police has sole signing power and has refused all attempts.
The only exceptions are for police and a few people employed in the security industry (armored cars).

Firearms Registration (http://www.hawaiipolice.com/topPages/gunRegistration.html - broken link)

Is the Chief of Police a person who is voted in like the Sheriff in some of the states or is he put into office by the major of the city that he serves

I have seen this done before where the Chief will not sign off on the permits for the person to be able to be carry a weapon concealed on there person and a person get hurt or killed and the family goes after the police chief over the right to be able to carry CCW and it cost the city big time and the new Chief when he came into office allowed CCW by the people ..

It was somewhere back in the Mich or in the area around the state where the people family member was hurt over the fact that the city Chief of Police would not sign off for any civ personal outside of the area of law enforcement personal to be able to carry legally in the city where he was at ..

i just went the last time to check up on the permints and see where they are at ..so i thought i get over with and register my two handguns and a air rifle and the hunting rifle iam takeing to Hawaii for retirement there on the big island ..iam selling off a lot of the rifles i have to now because i can not take them there ..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM

12,971 posts, read 26,687,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post

Actually, if you want to own guns in Hawai'i, it's best to bring them with you. It's much simpler to register your guns here (within 72 hours) than it is to buy them. You just take them to the Hilo Police Firearms Registration office, unloaded, and with no ammo in your position, fill out a simple form, and they record your serial numbers.

The only handguns prohibited here are assault pistols, like Uzis, Tech 9s, etc. But it's a complex formula based on weight and caliber and barrel length, so you need to check the list, which you can get from the police or sheriff's offices. It has some oddities, like the Ruger 10/22 Charger. Banana clips for the 10/22 RIFLE are legal, but would violate the ban on pistol mags over 10 rounds, so the pistol is prohibited. I sold my Charger and my Sig Sauer 18 round 9mm mags in Texas before I moved for that reason.

To buy is much more complicated. First, you have to get a "Permission to Acquire" letter from the police, which involves being photographed and fingerprinted, and completing either a NRA Gun Safety course ($160 at Big Island Gun Club, 6 hrs including 2 on the range) or a Hunter Safety Course (free, but only held once a month and a waste of time because only 5% or so is about guns), and then waiting 14 days. Until you have that letter most shops won't even let you handle a gun, and they must have a gun lock on it to hand it to you.

You can get more details here: Hawaii Gun Laws

and here:

Beyond that you'll find the selection sparse and the prices high. Ammo runs double the cost as the mainland, and I only know of one guy on the whole island that deals in handloading supplies like powder and primers.

Not to mention that the Hilo Skeet range and the Big Island Gun club are about it for shooting ranges, and they are only open limited days and hours. But there is a LOT of hunting here, especially for wild pigs.

It's not exactly a paradise for shooters.

OpenD

Old 01-01-2011, 01:25 AM

PS, DON'T bring ammo with you unless you check it as baggage in an approved locked container declared to the airlines yadda, yadda. You CANNOT ship it. You can include unloaded guns with your household goods shipment, but no ammo. I chose to bring my guns as baggage.

Also, if I wasn't clear, PISTOL mags over 10 rounds are illegal. The only legal alternative is to disassemble the mags, but reassembly within Hawai'i boundaries is a felony.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,293,534 times
the cost of ammo to shoot a handgun or rifle there got me to thinking about adding a walther LG 300 177 cal single shot air pistol for target pratice for the cost of a year of target pratice with a regular pistol there on the big island would cover the cost and the ammo for a year there ..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Personally I prefer a .22 conversion barrel for my Sig Sauer 9mm for relatively low cost practice.

For self defense, practice with the exact same weapon beats anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island