Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times

Advertisements

That 35 MPH zone entering Kona from the airport is a real speed trap. Temptation is to go flyin' through there but Hawai'i's finest have that bookmarked on their Favorites page. I saw cars pulled over just ebout every day in that stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Talking Mongeese. Or is it mongooses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
There are also the mongoose in the Big Island; that's something that made me go "wha?". In fact the only islands that don't have them are Kauai and Lanai. The mongoose were brought over to squelch the rat problem that had been created by the introduction of sugar cane. There's some story about the wrong type or something or other,about the mongoose and now the little fellows are everywhere.

I lived on Kauai for 45 years and never saw a mongoose. I now live on Oahu and I know they are here but I've never seen one; not like you see them on the Big Island. They can be rather comical when observed doing there daily thing.
Heh. The way this question normally gets asked is "What the $%^&* was THAT?" as one streaks across the landscape in a long brown blur.

The story of the mongoose is just one of countless attempts to introduce foreign species to the islands that went awry. They were brought in to control the rats, but our rats are nocturnal, active at night and the mongoose (notice how I cleverly sidestepped the mongooses/mongeese issue?) is a diurnal animal, active only during the day. So they never met. Sadly, the mongoose now fills its lunch bucket with small birds and bird eggs, so they're actually an ecological problem , and a threat to several endangered species.

But there is no denying they are fun to watch, as they scamper around playing tag with each other. Kind of like otters, but without the water.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
That 35 MPH zone entering Kona from the airport is a real speed trap. Temptation is to go flyin' through there but Hawai'i's finest have that bookmarked on their Favorites page. I saw cars pulled over just ebout every day in that stretch.
Yeah, the downhill approach to Keau'u on Highway 11 is the same, where the speed limit goes from 55 to 45 to 35 and the highway widens to multiple lanes before the big intersection. It's so close to the Puna Police Station in Keau'u you'd think people would catch a clue, but nooooo.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Talking Can't drive there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The "realigned" portion of Saddle Road (Highway 200) is a pretty "fast road." Some locals have been known to go over 100 mph up there. :eek
Jonah reminds me of another fun fact about Saddle Road: "The rental car company socked me with a $200 surcharge for driving over Saddle Road? (or into Waimea Valley, or whatever) Wha?"

It's true, there are several roads on the Big Island that are not recommended unless you have four-wheel drive, and a few that are not permitted at all for rental cars. The agencies tell tourists that, and they have them sign agreements that say that, but then some tourists still go where they are prohibited anyway, under the "who will know?" theory. But then they get busted by the GPS tracking systems installed in many of the rental cars that automatically flag them for penalties. I call it the "Stupid Tourist Tax."

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Jonah reminds me of another fun fact about Saddle Road: "The rental car company socked me with a $200 surcharge for driving over Saddle Road? (or into Waimea Valley, or whatever) Wha?"

It's true, there are several roads on the Big Island that are not recommended unless you have four-wheel drive, and a few that are not permitted at all for rental cars. The agencies tell tourists that, and they have them sign agreements that say that, but then some tourists still go where they are prohibited anyway, under the "who will know?" theory. But then they get busted by the GPS tracking systems installed in many of the rental cars that automatically flag them for penalties. I call it the "Stupid Tourist Tax."
Whoa! That's definitely a gotcha.

I think Budget now allows the rentals over Saddle Road, but each company has different rules.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Whoa! That's definitely a gotcha.

I think Budget now allows the rentals over Saddle Road, but each company has different rules.
Yeah, in some cars, not all. Let's face it, driving over Saddle Back in a Cobalt would not be fun.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM

"What the $%^&* are frickin' geese/chickens/goats/cows/dogs doing in the middle of a frickin' STATE HIGHWAY???"

Ummm. Yeah. That. Didn't I mention it?

Well, they live here too. Welcome to Hawai'i !!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 54,280 times
Default Mongoose vs Mongeese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Heh. The way this question normally gets asked is "What the $%^&* was THAT?" as one streaks across the landscape in a long brown blur.

The story of the mongoose is just one of countless attempts to introduce foreign species to the islands that went awry. They were brought in to control the rats, but our rats are nocturnal, active at night and the mongoose (notice how I cleverly sidestepped the mongooses/mongeese issue?) is a diurnal animal, active only during the day. So they never met. Sadly, the mongoose now fills its lunch bucket with small birds and bird eggs, so they're actually an ecological problem , and a threat to several endangered species.

But there is no denying they are fun to watch, as they scamper around playing tag with each other. Kind of like otters, but without the water.
There was a agricultural agency which was giving away a free mongoose to local farmers. One farmer wasn't sure if the correct useage was mongoose or mongeese so he wrote:
Dear Sir,
Please send me one of the mongoose you are giving away.
Thanks, Farmer Smith
P.S. Maybe you had better send two.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 AM

11 posts, read 54,280 times
What the $%^&* are frickin' geese/chickens/goats/cows/dogs doing in the middle of a frickin' STATE HIGHWAY???"

Ummm. Yeah. That. Didn't I mention it?

In West Texas we have tons of deer and a some javelina hogs on the highways--much more prevalant at night. It is not unusual to see most pickups and some cares with "deer guards" on the front to lessen the damage. I guess there are unusual things wherever.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Drove the Saddle Road today. There is currently an 8 mile section near Hilo that is mostly gravel. Parts of it were so slick due to rain that it was like driving on ice.
Rental car companies don't want their cars on it because the tourists tend to trash the brakes on the downhill sections. (I know people at the rental car agencies in Hilo.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island