Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times

Advertisements

I was ready to pack my bags, expecting high prices for everything, no jobs, human killing bugs, hurricanes, a volcano that could blow anytime, locals that hate whites, a sun that causes third degree burns, but then I heard about the limp chip and thought oh man that's just too much. I'm never coming to Hawaii now! This post may or may not be sarcastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I was ready to pack my bags, expecting high prices for everything, no jobs, human killing bugs, hurricanes, a volcano that could blow anytime, locals that hate whites, a sun that causes third degree burns, but then I heard about the limp chip and thought oh man that's just too much. I'm never coming to Hawaii now! This post may or may not be sarcastic!
LOL! The "limp chips" pushed me closer to the edge but it was a description I read somewhere of the giant centipedes being "meaty", will chase you down and having to go after them with BBQ tongs that got me right up against the edge! Crickey.

It's all in good fun and good information but it's like wanting to go to a nice restaurant for a steak dinner and only being told about the broccoli. Yes, broccoli is part of it and it's nasty, but you can't lose site of the fact that there is goodness there and the broccoli only accounts for a small part! Don't let your fear of broccoli stop you from having a juicy steak! Clear? No? There are certainly challenges to living in Hawaii but the rewards far out weigh those challenges. At least that's the way I think about it.

This post may or may not be sarcastic!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:26 AM

68 posts, read 107,176 times
Default Rebump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
Bump for the newbies. That's me! I saw a reference to this thread in another post so I searched for it. Wouldn't have known to look for it unless it was referenced, so I thought I would move it back up to the top and spend some time (15 pages?! Make that hours) reading through.

Thanks to OpenD and all the other contributors for their time, help and honesty in educating the hopefuls!
What he said...
RC

Old 11-27-2014, 04:34 AM

95 posts, read 129,651 times
In the most candid and respectful way... I thought tourist will be surprised at how some of the locals look. Now.. keep in mind the great half of my friends and family are in local and/or federal law enforcement. So I tend to view things sometimes a bit different..
My first visit to Puna... I saw many people hitch hiking.. and for lack of better terms, looking like homeless people. Sometimes you would see the same people hitching for rides, same clothes as the day before... some even looked "suspect".

One day I was down swimming at one of our favorite spots and this man, ruff, weathered, disheveled looking strolls up. I recognize him from hitch hiking. I notice his has a knife strapped to his leg. Here I am with my two young children.. and internally... freaking out. I take my eye off him for a few min, and next you know I can't see him anywhere. At this point I gather my children and decide its time to leave. As I walk past a bench I see this guy in swim trunks.. looks familiar, and shares a friendly smile. I smile back and that is when I realize.. this completely normal looking man... was the same one... when fully clothes.. made me nervous. ((smacks self on forehead))

Another incident, same location.. all our personals are sitting on a rock while me and my family swim. I see this guy.. again.. looking less than desirable walk towards our stuff. I am internally freaking out.. GREAT there goes my camera, cell phone, car keys.. So I float closer to my husband, and I am like.. do you see that guy. He says yeah (he is federal law enforcement).. and I was like.. Do you think I should get out of the water and hang by our stuff? He said no, its fine. I look at him baffled and say.. UMM.. did you see that guy.. ??? and he responds with Yeah... he's fine. Still baffled.. I am like.. HOW do you get that.. the guy looks like a criminal. My husband laughs at me.. and says... look at his dog, he's taken care of, the man loves his dog, he smiles at everyone says hi... he's fine. Sure enough the guy was fine, even had a car of his own.. as well as business (displayed on the side of his truck). I felt like a horses arse to say the least.

So, what I came to learn about Hawaii and mainly the Puna District, and what I love.. is the people. No one takes themselves too serious. No one is worried about matching clothes, or what brand they are wearing. People hitch hike.. not because they don't have a car.. just because at times. What mainlanders might view as a homeless person, transient, or criminal... is not the case here. People are simply less concerned with how they look and more concerned with how they treat one another. I foolishly judged a book by its cover. Oddly my husband was far more open, understanding, and accepting. It took time for me, to realize.. I didnt have to get "done up" to leave the house. Still strange for me at times. But that is not what matters.

So.... before you go and judge someone. Just realize.. if they give you a kind smile.. it don't matta' just live the aloha spirit and love! After all.. they may be one of the wealthiest people on the island.. or not.. but their wealth is greater than ours in kindness!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Bo Diddley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNn8ZHAMb0

Oh, can't you see, oh, you can't judge me?
Look like a farmer but I'm a lover
Can't judge a book by looking at the cover

Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 AM

Default Wait wait wait!!!

Just how much IS a '$5 footlong'?!? This just might be a dealbreaker fir me!!! ;-}

RC

Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Chetco View Post
Just how much IS a '$5 footlong'?!?
If you are referring to Subway - there is no such thing as a $5 footlong in Hawaii.

Sometimes we get a $6 special on Oahu - sometimes, we don't.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM

Wheew.....
I was worried. I thought it would be $12.50... (2.5%)

RC

*edited to add
"Pile on the olives and cheese"

Last edited by Rex Chetco; 12-10-2014 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: same

Old 12-10-2014, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
Default yes it is

yes it is

Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM

60 posts, read 100,561 times
Exclamation The horror....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Krispy Kreme? Nuh uh

Wait... WHA?? No Krispy Kreme?? but.....but..... those Hot Doughnuts....

-- slaps you back to reality doesn't it?

::Hunched Over:: ok....ok..... thats a sock to the gut. Good list OpenD, but before we start unpacking, are there any others we should know about?

I know, LOWES ... WALMART. You at least have those right?? Any Mexican / Tex-mex?? please??

Pizza Hut? yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island