Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Agreed. For example you missed the *very obvious* tourist joke that Hotzcatz was making with: "Weren't the stats for Waikiki something like 80% of the folks who sleep there leave within two weeks?"
No, I caught that one and replied with a silly answer.

And thanks for your friendly, fun post.

The emoticons on this board are very limited compared to other boards I've been active on for years. I think that's part of the problem I'm having.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 PM

But I do agree how weird it is that apparently people come to HI without doing their homework.

My spouse got his job offer totally out of the blue (he's got rare, mad skillz in his field and is highly employable) and we did two full days of research (although not on this forum) before he would even commit to an interview. The more we researched, the more we realized we should have settled there instead of here...although we LOVE it here.

I know that our situation is extremely unique, we are coming from a place where living conditions and cost of living are worse than HI, and we are only 5% of the population here (and have NO issues with that, none at all, we assimilate very well...although it's not uncommon to go for days without seeing another Caucasian face) but will be 25% of the population in HI. Here, it's incredibly difficult to get much of anything, and we pay Customs in AND out (yet we are supposedly the USA?) and you have COSTCO!!!!! OMG!!!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Maybe 20% read only the original post or two and then let fly with their opinion. Maybe 20% read only the last post or two, and then let fly with their opinion. Of the rest, maybe half really understand what you're saying and where you're coming from...
Do you have some links to back up your figures? Otherwise, I call BS.

Here's some more unsolicited advice (aka netiquette in HI):

- Read the whole thread before replying. Don't interrupt uncle when he's trying to tell you something.

- Don't use language that would require any smilies, then you won't be misunderstood.

- Don't tell us how much better it is back in the other forums you come from, even if it wasn't really the mainland.

- Don't share so much personal and identifying information--we really aren't impressed.

- Don't go around making demands, even just for statistics or links.

- Don't expect the people who are helping you to do all the work for you, especially if you get upset.

- Contribute and share sometimes.

- Enjoy a good ribbing and laugh along.

- Don't judge a place by the few people you meet, online or not.

- Relax, you're in a magical place known as the internet.

Back on topic: I too would be very interested in actual figures, but I know they don't exist. It would make for a fascinating study, to see what effect the in- and out-migration has on the economy--it would have to be a separate study for each island. People often speculate that it keeps wages low, to have a steady turnover. Then again, everyone spending there savings has to benefit someone (who? landlords? airlines?).

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I too would be very interested in actual figures, but I know they don't exist.
Ah, just as I thought. Random made up numbers get bandied about until they are taken as gospel, and nobody better dare ask where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island