Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times

Advertisements

The Puna, Hawaii thread is so full of great information...how about a Ka'u thread for sharing updates and asking/answering questions about the Southern-most district of the Big Island?

There was an interesting article in the newspaper recently about the Pakini Nui Wind Farm located near South Point. It discusses some of the efforts being made to locally produce more energy from renewable sources.
Click here for a photo and to read the full article: starbulletin.com | News | /2007/07/20/

The discussion of the county's possible purchase of part of the Punaluu Black Sand Beach area also continues to make local headlines. The public meetings are consistently attracting many contributing voices from both sides of the issue.

(According to the Hawaii Information Service, there are approx 57 named 'subdivisions' in the Ka'u district. Some of the most well-known areas are HOVE--Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, Discovery Harbour, Naalehu, Wood Valley, Pahala and the Volcano Golf & Country Club Subdivision. Volcano Village is in the Puna district.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 AM

72 posts, read 346,719 times
Thanks so much for the info. I am curious about the area so I appreciate it. BTW, typically how far of a drive is it to Kona and to Hilo from Ka'u?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
We have a house in Discovery Harbour that we plan to live in when we retire. In the meantime we use it as a vacation rental and visit several times a year.

The drive to Kona is on a two-lane winding road through lots of small towns. Average speed is about 35 mph, if you're lucky. It takes, non-rush-hour, about an hour to the south end of Kona and an hour and a half to Costco. We don't travel to Kona during rush hour times; traffic is horrid between Kealakekua and Kona. The good part is that it is so picturesque!

The drive to Hilo is much easier. The road is straighter and we can actually go 55-60 mph. That said, it does take about an hour to get to town.

There is a forum specifically for the Ka'u area called South Point Hawaii. Lots of great information there.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM

72 posts, read 346,719 times
Thanks for the info on traffic and the website!!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 PM

Aloha Dreaming...

Would you share some of the reasons you chose Discovery Harbour over the other subdivisions and Ka'u rather than another district?

I've visited some great houses in Discovery Harbour...but since I don't live there, I would enjoy having a resident's perspective. Do you get a sense that more resident families are moving into the area as Kona continues to grow? Can you give us a golf course update?

Mahalo,

Cynthia

Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Cynmkohole,
We originally started looking in the Kona area in 2003. Immediately found that prices were too high. Through the internet, we had found HOVE, so we went down to check out that area. (by the way, I like Kona Paradise, too). My husband and I spent a full day just driving through HOVE, and I was not very pleased. Yes, some people do like it there, but it was way too stark and too far from the ocean for me.

We found a great realtor, Robyn Baglow with The Land Office in Na'alehu. She took us to Discovery Harbour, and I loved it immediately. It is very green and the golf course is a great amenity. Most all of the houses there are well landscaped and well kept (the HOA is working on the rest), and it is close enough to the ocean for some sweeping views. DH has county water, paved roads, cable tv and high speed internet. My husband worries that it is too much like a suburban neighborhood at home, but with 1/3 acre lots I think it will always have an open feel.

We finished our house in 2005 and manage to visit a couple of times a year, and keep in touch with friends who live there. We plan on being full-time residents when we retire in 2010. We have met a lot of our neighbors in DH, most of whom are retired. There are families who live there, some people work from home and some even commute to jobs in Kona. We like the community activities that are available in DH, and plan to be active in the Na'alehu community through volunteering.

We've met lots of people through various forums who are planning to move to the area within the next 3-5 years. Most of them will be retired. I think the area will continue to grow due to the affordability of housing and the large amount of un-built-on land. As the population increases, the retail opportunities should increase. As more local jobs become available, the area should attract more families.

The latest word on the golf course is that there is a sale in the works. No official announcement yet, but apparently the buyer will be improving the clubhouse, tennis courts and pool. We are looking forward to that happening!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76curlyq View Post
Aloha To All
If anyone could help me that would be wonderful...I had some questions about HOVE...I know this thread is mostly about Puna but I though someone may be able to help me out...
What I would like to know: are the extra wide lots better or are the speghetti lots better?... and what is a bubble cave? and do I want a lot with one on it?

Thank You for you time
Mahalo
76curlyq
Hi 76curlyq,

Hope you don't mind that I'm answering your question here about HOVE. The Puna thread is getting pretty long!

If I were searching in HOVE, I'd probably want a square lot, unless buying more than one was an option. There are also some interesting lots at the ends of some of the streets with curved street frontage. Of course, if picking up two lots is an option, then I'd probably go for two spaghetti lots together. Lots of separation from the neighbors in back.

As Dreaming of Hawaii said...either visit on-site, or if you decide to purchase sight-unseen, have someone send you photos or video of the surrounding area. Very important! Best to visit first, though.

Aloha,

Cynthia

Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM

This article from the Tribune-Herald discusses the hospital in Ka'u and outlines some of the planned improvements and needs of the facility.

"Rural Ka'u Hospital Tries to Meet Growing Needs" Click here: Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii (http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/02/13/local_news/local06.txt - broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks, Cynthia. Article is of particular interest to us, since we are part of those baby boomers planning to move in 2-1/2 years. We've been hearing bad stories about health care and physicians leaving the island.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 15,042 times
My son and daughter-in-law are moving to HOVE next month! They've been there to visit his uncle and like it. Don't know if they've experienced the VOG enough to know if it bothers them. He's a chef. She's a nanny. Both looking for jobs...any tips or offers? How much for a 3 bdrm. home that's nice? Is there any running water? Heathcare nearby? Hospital? If not, how far or how long to get to hospital? They want children so this is a concern for pregnacy & heathcare? Is heathcare in Hawaii free as I've heard for residents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island