U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 PM

102 posts, read 164,424 times

Advertisements

I hear lots of bad generalizations about the public schools in Puna/Hilo. Can someone give more detail? Are the kids behavior problems, do the teachers not care, are the parents uninvolved, are the facilities bad? Anyone know anything about class size or the curriculum? Would love information on specific public schools in Puna. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,030,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkygirl View Post
I hear lots of bad generalizations about the public schools in Puna/Hilo. Can someone give more detail? Are the kids behavior problems, do the teachers not care, are the parents uninvolved, are the facilities bad? Anyone know anything about class size or the curriculum? Would love information on specific public schools in Puna. Thanks!
I can give you all kinds of info. My kids go to Pahoa.

It is NOT as bad as you hear or have heard, in the past.
Most of that progress is due to the principal, who has now been there about 3 years.

I am really glad my kids are there, instead of Keaau schools! However, Waiakea (spelling?) in Hilo is the best complex area. Unfortunately, housing in that area is much more expensive and difficult to get into, because of the schools.

My main issue is that ALL Hawaii schools spend more time and money worrying about special ed, No Child Left Behind, and troubled youth than they do with the extreme upper end students - who are more or less ignored.

Send me a direct message (DM) and I can give you additional details.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM

11,033 posts, read 22,605,079 times
Slinkygirl, we all live on an island and have to get along with each other so it isn't likely you are going to get very many answers to a question which involves someone having to say bad things about someone or something else. It's just an island thing. Mostly because the folks you say bad things about are likely to be your neighbors or related to your neighbors and then they'd hear you said rude things about them. If you were to ask which were the best schools and why, then you'd get a lot more answers. Frequently, it is what is NOT said which is more important than what is said - at least on an island.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 AM

102 posts, read 164,424 times
Gotcha. I'm a firm believer in public schools and trying to fix them in any way possible, so that's what I was wondering about, but of course you're right.

So, what are the best public schools in Hilo/Puna, and why?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,444,686 times
This is a slippery slope going down this subject

If you dm me I could give some more info without being corrected or angering some.

Koa

Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 AM

11,033 posts, read 22,605,079 times
The best one I've seen is the one right across from the U of H in Hilo, I'm not sure of the name. The campus was extremely tidy, though.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,444,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The best one I've seen is the one right across from the U of H in Hilo, I'm not sure of the name. The campus was extremely tidy, though.

Thats Waiakai High according to the reports that and Hilo high are the 2 best respectfully.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,954 times
There is nothing wrong with Hilo/Puna schools! There are great teachers, students, and parents at all these schools. I think they get a bad rap because they have some of the lowest socio-economic status in the state, but they are not bad schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island