Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM

181 posts, read 586,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Thank you for your information. How much does the 2 or 3 acres cost?
Rather than worry about how the land costs, you should first consider what is growing on the land right now.

Many inexpensive lots are covered with a thick forest of all kinds of hard to remove trees and plants. Getting rid of this growth to the point where you can plant is quite expensive and in some case will cost more than the land itself.

You really have to come to Puna to see the plant growth that covers the lots that have never been cleared or even the ones that were cleared only a few years ago and not maintained!

If you go to some real estate sites that list land in Puna, you'll see photos of these lots. Thick forest is what you will see in the photos, but you'll never know just how thick and impenetrable the growth is unless you come here and try to walk the lots yourself.

An acre for $15,000 sounds like a great deal (and it is!), but just be aware that you won't be planting anything in it any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
So are folks born with each type of microbe suite or can they change them over the years?
Like blood type, they seem to be permanent assignments.

Quote:
Do you have a link for that research they posted yesterday?
Here's one of several articles. (I can't tell you how much fun it was typing "Microbes in the News" into the search engine. ) Gut Bacteria Come In Three Flavors - Science News

Quote:
So, if there's three different types, then perhaps Kansoku is one of the proper types to thrive on a fruitarian diet. Then and again, there is apparently a one in three shot, so the odds are slightly against it.
Worse, but it's a start.

Quote:
Too much sugar is also really bad for livers as well as teeth.
Not to mention the pancreas. Pancreas gets no respect... until it goes on the fritz.

Quote:
Do you think the flaxseed cracker would work with sesame seeds?
Nope. It's a unique property of flaxseeds. I have added sesame to flax cracker mixes for taste, but sesame alone will just sit there getting moldy.

Quote:
I'd think folks would have eaten a lot more flax when they used to keep a field of it around for making cloth with. Flax is what linen is made out of and before the cotton gin was invented, flax was one of the fibers of choice for spinning into fiber to weave into summer weight cloth.
Today hemp seems to be taking that role.

In any case, the other name for flaxseed oil is linseed oil, which has been used for centuries as a binder for paints and a treatment for wood. Purified flaxseed oil is a dietary supplement contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, making it valuable to people not wanting to consume fish oil.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketMaker View Post
The diet strikes me as very sound; however, it also strikes me as little more than a clever repacking of, say, the South Beach diet.
Not at all. It's not a repackaging of anything, as it turns out, but an unexpected offshoot of original research to try to determine what our ancestors actually ate, and thus to determine what our bodies evolved to best take advantage of.

Quote:
The 'paleolithic' approach is primarily a low glycemic approach that avoids 'bad' fats & 'bad' carbs and mixes in high quality fiber & protein (hence, the 'South Beach' reference, but feel free to substitute your favorite variation of such a diet in the narrative).
Characterize it however you like, but the popular terms "paleolithic" and "paleolithic diet" and "paleo eating" are sourced in genuine interest about what works best in nutrition. None of the original researchers or popularizers is making money from this.

Quote:
In my opinion, all the talk about 'evolution', 'Natural Diet', etc. is simply a marketing angle to reach an audience not drawn in by terms like "South Beach".
No, not all. Among professional dancers, and body workers, for instance, there's been keen interest in this stuff from the beginning. The marketing you see is just what you see. But there is much more to this than the marketing, which straggled along later, and is kind of the tail on the dog as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Rather than worry about how the land costs, you should first consider what is growing on the land right now.

Many inexpensive lots are covered with a thick forest of all kinds of hard to remove trees and plants. Getting rid of this growth to the point where you can plant is quite expensive and in some case will cost more than the land itself.

You really have to come to Puna to see the plant growth that covers the lots that have never been cleared or even the ones that were cleared only a few years ago and not maintained!

If you go to some real estate sites that list land in Puna, you'll see photos of these lots. Thick forest is what you will see in the photos, but you'll never know just how thick and impenetrable the growth is unless you come here and try to walk the lots yourself.

An acre for $15,000 sounds like a great deal (and it is!), but just be aware that you won't be planting anything in it any time soon.
Are there any edible tropical fruits in those thick forested lots?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Are there any edible tropical fruits in those thick forested lots?
What's the fascination with fruits, anyway? Go to Costco and get some bananas and apples, and other regular stuff and live like a regular person. I suspect the wild feral pigs would get you anyway.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 389,907 times
Quote:

Well, yes and no. Yes, a lot of people get a parcel and nuke it with a bulldozer, rip the rock, haul in soil and cinder, and plant all at once. Or, just as often, they will do everything *but* plant, and wind up with a patch of desert and weeds in the midst of a rain forest.

But that's only wasting money. Some of the most beautiful properties I've seen were cleared little by little, by hand. I've done it both ways, and worked with a bulldozing service for a few years, and have seen quite a few people make a mess of things by not knowing *how* to use a bulldozer.

Of all the trees I planted on my property, the ones that did best were planted with a bare minimum of ground preparation. And the worst, ugliest part of my property is where I had it ripped, but didn't followup with the extra rolling, filling, and planting.

I completely agree that you should pay attention to the existing vegetation, but strongly caution against removing it unless and until it's necessary to make room for something.
Quote:

You definitely want to see before you buy. But I don't think that thick forest is such a bad thing. In fact, that's exactly the kind I'd want. Thick wild vegetation indicates soil. Soil is like gold in Puna.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:57 PM

129 posts, read 389,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
What's the fascination with fruits, anyway? Go to Costco and get some bananas and apples, and other regular stuff and live like a regular person. I suspect the wild feral pigs would get you anyway.

Yeah, and I guess you could just live in your car in the parking lot, too. That would be so convenient! And buy the fruit with food stamps.

The only problem I can see with your advice is that if everybody followed it, nobody would be able to follow it, because all the ex-farmers would be going to costco and wondering why they don't have any food to buy.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Any lot with trees probably has Wa'iwi, (strawberry guava) or yellow guava. All of it is wormy. You must realize that we have seasons here and most fruit trees only bear once a year for a couple of months at best. In order to get fruit all year long you would need a wide variety of cultivated, nurtured trees. You won't get much fruit if you don't work for it.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Any lot with trees probably has Wa'iwi, (strawberry guava) or yellow guava. All of it is wormy. You must realize that we have seasons here and most fruit trees only bear once a year for a couple of months at best. In order to get fruit all year long you would need a wide variety of cultivated, nurtured trees. You won't get much fruit if you don't work for it.
What are some tropical fruits that bears fruits 12 months a year besides banana and papaya?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post

Yeah, and I guess you could just live in your car in the parking lot, too. That would be so convenient! And buy the fruit with food stamps.

The only problem I can see with your advice is that if everybody followed it, nobody would be able to follow it, because all the ex-farmers would be going to costco and wondering why they don't have any food to buy.
Stay out of the sun and wear a hat. Sanity will return to you, but you have to stop pounding on your head so much as you have depicted in your "smiley".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island