Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM

206 posts, read 466,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Back in the seventies, Euell Gibbons wrote a book called "The Beachcomber's Handbook" which was about the three years he spent in Hawaii. He was on Oahu which at that time wasn't as densely populated as it is now.
Sounds like an interesting book; I see he wrote a lot about wild plant foods. I've ordered it from the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Sounds like an interesting book; I see he wrote a lot about wild plant foods. I've ordered it from the library.
He died eating the wrong wild plant "food". Oops, I hate when that happens.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
It's sad - this guy wants to have a burro for transport.
Baggers at Krogers can't be choosers ...

Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree.

It seems to me that some people are trying to find or instill meaning to their lives by adopting some wierd, un-natural, idiotic diet. It's the "Isn't that special" factor at work!!!

It's sad - this guy wants to have a burro for transport.

If I woke up and found I had that sort of mindset, I'd find the newest ceramic knife in the kitchen and do the ear-to-ear thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody announce themselves as a dirtarian and want to know where the tastiest dirt is on the Island. Yum Yum!!!!!!
People can eat, as you amusingly point out, anything including dirt for all I care. I don't care much for the superior condescending attitude that seems prevalant among them, however.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
People can eat, as you amusingly point out, anything including dirt for all I care. I don't care much for the superior condescending attitude that seems prevalant among them, however.
Exactly. They shun their nose at regular, natural diets as if being a vegan or whatever is to occupy some morally-superior high ground.

I think it is a substitute for a career or other meaning-inducing endeavor in their lives. It's 2011 and somebody is looking to commute on a burro in the US.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Exactly. They shun their nose at regular, natural diets as if being a vegan or whatever is to occupy some morally-superior high ground.

I think it is a substitute for a career or other meaning-inducing endeavor in their lives. It's 2011 and somebody is looking to commute on a burro in the US.
LOL! 21st century Luddites. If it makes them happy, fine. But superior? No.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
LOL! 21st century Luddites. If it makes them happy, fine. But superior? No.
Superior? Definitely not, but feeling superior, possible!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM

181 posts, read 586,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Library?

Why don't you get your own cheap copy from Amazon?

Amazon.com: Used and New: Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook

Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:

Who does this? Why would anyone care what others eat? I eat a mostly veggie diet with some seafood. The only reason is because that is what I like. I couldn't care less what others eat, just as long as they keep their fork off my plate!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 PM

206 posts, read 466,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Library?

Why don't you get your own cheap copy from Amazon?

Amazon.com: Used and New: Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook
Lol, you're right, it's such a bargain that I can't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island