Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 PM

543 posts, read 3,071,306 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost to put an electric fence around about 2 or 3 acres of land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,202,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They don't seem to bother fruit trees, but they did eat all the red romaine lettuce I had planted after they ate up all the sweet potatoes. I don't know of anyone selling pig tusks, although they do make them into ornaments to hang on car mirrors. Kinda like the island version of fuzzy dice, I guess. The wild pigs don't attack unless they get cornered or unless you get between a sow and her piglets. But once they are trapped, they want out and are fierce.

The pigs are pretty sweet after eating the sweet potatoes, but it's usually avocado season and guava season which makes more of a difference. After avocado season, they have a lot more fat on them and make better sausage, after guava season they seem a bit sweeter, too. Some folks prefer sow meat to boar meat, if it's an older boar they will just feed it to their dogs instead of eating it. I've not noticed much of a difference in flavor depending on gender, though. Usually we will refrigerate it overnight in salted water so that might take care of any gamey flavor if there was one.

The twenty two - even with high velocity rounds, doesn't have much stopping power at all. My neighbor has a thirty aught six and he has some sort of high velocity round for it. When a big pig is in the trap we call him to come drop it with that. Usually he shoots it through the vertebrae and it drops like the proverbial rock. He has a scope on the rifle so he can be very precise where he shoots. We then hoist it up and skin it, much easier than scraping it. We give him roasts, chops, etc., for shooting it for us so it all works out.
they are doing a show now on Discovery called Hogs gone wild. These animals are everywhere. Perhaps they could offer some excellent "varmint shooting" practice. I wonder if they are considered a "game" animal or a varmint that is not protected.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,794,323 times
I watched this show the other day. They caught a hog on the Big Island and said they were going to relocate it. That left me wondering, if they are such a pest(which they spent the first part of the show giving examples why they are) why relocate it? Why not eat the sucka?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,567,390 times
I fenced my property with hogwire and have 2 dogs that keep them away, but they regularly rip up the neighborhood. They are a major pest and most that are caught are shot, but there are some people here (lunatic fringe) that want to protect even invasive species.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,453,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I watched this show the other day. They caught a hog on the Big Island and said they were going to relocate it. That left me wondering, if they are such a pest(which they spent the first part of the show giving examples why they are) why relocate it? Why not eat the sucka?
That guy has been doing pig removals for years. He actually "relocates" the pigs to a couple of charitable groups and they process the pig for meat which they give to folks who need it. his company has a contract with a major golf course near Kona and has "removed" over 1000 pigs over the years from that course alone.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,202,370 times
Quote:
I agree, wack it with a 10 mil or a .30 cal and relocate it to the freezer (for now). Perhaps a luau.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's not much different with dogs... you use the dogs to corner them and then... POP. The tricky thing is that they are pretty well armored, and the aim point is lower and behind where it is on most other game animals. And if your aim is off a teense they can absorb an amazing amount of energy. I used to carry a .44 magnum off-trail in Texas just in case, because it was about the only thing that would stop a wild piggy in flight once you had pissed it off with a "flesh wound".
This is probably the best depiction of a pig's vital area as I have found. WARNING!!! A LITTLE GOREY!!

YouTube - hog kill zone

As useful as I think that is for edged weapons or arrow placement, I will say that I think trying to place rifle bullets in the thoracic cavity of a pig is less than ideal. It will certainly work, but I think it's a matter of time before you lose some game that way. In my opinion the most ethical and most forgiving kill zone on a pig is in the middle of the neck (top-to-bottom) and between the back of the ear and the front of the shoulder. Even a good hit with a .223 drops 'em.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times
Quote:
Was that Andrew West, the Kiwi?

I think that's similar to the pigeon control pros who say that they take the pigeons to an idyllic ranch out in the country to live out their days in peace and harmony without bothering anyone.

Also, while I'm not sure about Hawaii's regs on this, it is actually illegal (carries a BIG fine) to catch, relocate and willfully release pigs into another area in my neck of the woods. Once you've caught them you either have to pen them, sell them at market or kill 'em (if you observe the law, anyway). That's right, the local government will punish you if you are caught granting quarter to a feral pig here.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
That guy has been doing pig removals for years. He actually "relocates" the pigs to a couple of charitable groups and they process the pig for meat which they give to folks who need it. his company has a contract with a major golf course near Kona and has "removed" over 1000 pigs over the years from that course alone.
Now that kind of "relocating" makes sense to me!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM

140 posts, read 405,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
lol @ "relocate." i guess for tv, it's a nice PC word.

my aunt actually hit one driving to work. she said a hunter stopped and and picked it up before she could even take a look at it. the guy didn't even ask if she was ok. but it did cause a lot of damage to car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island