Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,055,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
This post says a lot about you and your mentality.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. I remain appalled at your actions since this is what you have determined to be the "best" way to deal with the situation. It is sad what the world is becoming.

Generally I say treat people the way you expect to be treated. I sure hope nobody else treats anyone the way you do...........

I agree that people that are actually causing a problem should be dealt with but in the correct manner. I am not fully up on all of HI's law yet but I know in most other states there are more then enough APPROPRIATE laws to deal with this.
Exactly. Great Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM

834 posts, read 1,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It is sad, disheartening and downright ill-advised that this is true. Gun Laws virtually-always restrict only the potential victims of crime, and almost-never the potential perpetrators of crime.

Net result, the imbalance of power between predator (criminal) and prey (crime victim) is imbalanced even more in favor of the criminal.

Such laws COST so many lives every year as to be near-treasonous, but then weapons control has always been a political, not crime-fighting, tool, since the days when weapons had cutting edges and sharp ponts, as opposed to barrels and triggers.

It would be like telling a flock of sheep that you are going to protect them against wolf-attack by tying their legs together, while sharpening the wolf's teeth.

Hawaii is no different in this global reality. Luckily, Hawaii's "makeup" does not tend toward violent crime in the first place, or it would be a slaughter-house like Detroit or Chicago.

This reality has been studied, documented and proven time and time-again by professionals observing real-world experience for many decades and is, in reality, indisputable, and it is to Hawaii's detriment that such laws exist.
See, myself and two neighbors have been shot at/stray bullets in their own house or yard at different times by so called 'hunters' a few years back. Now I use the existing laws and my assigned police precinct to prevent this from reoccurring. That's my 'defense' and it works. I don't need to whine about Obama or how things were different back then and especially somewhere else. I also don't need a bigger gun to shoot back at others. Our life is good, the keikis are happy, and everybody's safe. Hawaii can be paradise, but one has to work at it to keep it that way.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
See, myself and two neighbors have been shot at/stray bullets in their own house or yard at different times by so called 'hunters' a few years back. Now I use the existing laws and my assigned police precinct to prevent this from reoccurring. That's my 'defense' and it works. I don't need to whine about Obama or how things were different back then and especially somewhere else. I also don't need a bigger gun to shoot back at others. Our life is good, the keikis are happy, and everybody's safe. Hawaii can be paradise, but one has to work at it to keep it that way.

Citizens are supposed to use the Police, and the Police and Prosecutors use the Laws. Its called "due process".

It is sad that you have had such a bad experience.

I used to live near a University Campus by one of their recreational fields. We would, from time to time, find an arrow stuck vertically in our yard, and one, in the roof. We didn't call anyone, we didn't go overboard, we just accepted it. It wasn't very often, so we just took it as a risk of living.

An excessive quest for "safety" will take all the meaning out of life, and it appears from the overzealouness of your posts, that you might be headed in that direction.

I hope there are no reoccurances of stray bullets etc.

BTW, nobody whined, well at least not about Obama.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,795,746 times
KaraBenNemsi, maybe you should dig a basement and live down in it to protect you from the risks of living.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 06-07-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
KaraBenNemsi, maybe you should dig a basement and live down in it to protect from the risks of living.
Do they have basements in HI?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:59 PM

834 posts, read 1,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
...An excessive quest for "safety" will take all the meaning out of life, and it appears from the overzealouness of your posts, that you might be headed in that direction.

I hope there are no reoccurances of stray bullets etc.

BTW, nobody whined, well at least not about Obama.
Well, I referred to the quote about him below your screen name. Which could also be interpreted as a political 'overzealousness'.

Last edited by KaraBenNemsi; 06-08-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
See, myself and two neighbors have been shot at/stray bullets in their own house or yard at different times by so called 'hunters' a few years back. Now I use the existing laws and my assigned police precinct to prevent this from reoccurring. That's my 'defense' and it works
I sincerely hate to hear that someone has put you at risk in the past, and I'm in complete agreement with using existing laws appropriately against irresponsible people like that. I just wanted to clarify that merely holding a gun or showing a gun in a truck rack or even shooting in a safe direction in a permitted area is not "terroristic threatening." As a matter of fact, in reviewing the Hunting Regulations, I was reminded that while actively hunting, a hunter can openly carry a handgun, as long as it is in plain sight or in an obvious protective holster, something not generally allowed in public in Hawai'i.

But to give you some additional ammunition (heh) the regs also say that hunting is legal only between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, and night time hunting is completely prohibited. Also hunting is prohibited within 50 yards of a public highway.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well, I referred to the quote about him below your screen name. Which could also be interpreted as a political 'overzealousness'.
Not by a rational person.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I sincerely hate to hear that someone has put you at risk in the past, and I'm in complete agreement with using existing laws appropriately against irresponsible people like that. I just wanted to clarify that merely holding a gun or showing a gun in a truck rack or even shooting in a safe direction in a permitted area is not "terroristic threatening." As a matter of fact, in reviewing the Hunting Regulations, I was reminded that while actively hunting, a hunter can openly carry a handgun, as long as it is in plain sight or in an obvious protective holster, something not generally allowed in public in Hawai'i.

But to give you some additional ammunition (heh) the regs also say that hunting is legal only between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, and night time hunting is completely prohibited. Also hunting is prohibited within 50 yards of a public highway.

Good luck!
Is pest eradication by firearm considered "hunting"? If it is, they should make an exemption for feral hogs, danger to house, home and life, that they are. Hell, they shoot them from Helicopters in Texas and Australia (or, perhaps, NZ)

Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 AM

12 posts, read 16,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
That guy has been doing pig removals for years. He actually "relocates" the pigs to a couple of charitable groups and they process the pig for meat which they give to folks who need it. his company has a contract with a major golf course near Kona and has "removed" over 1000 pigs over the years from that course alone.
Can i get the contact info about this guy from you? if you have. as we just move to big island, hilo side, and in our yard, there is a hog den there, the other day, we saw a cub came out. in about one or two months, they will grow up, and by then it will be much harder to caught or relocated them I guess. especially for us, just moving here! Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island