Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times

Advertisements

Abousult Yes go.

I had friends that didn't understand what was going on in early March when they arrived. One been there done that (thought so) the other never saw the island before or valcanoe. Showed up when everything went queit with the never seen. He was amazed even being from WA and going to AK seeing valcanoes. Said it was his trip hilight even being quiet. I wouldnt' go out on lava boat even if it is friends of mine unless starts again.

Other friends from mainland showed up in last couple of weeks said they loved going to park again Hilight of trip. One even (I was back on mainland took a 12 bus tour- really!!!) but are so glad they did it.

I follow the same route but from Pahoa... everyone above quoted do..... Take a day out of relaxation to do it - it is completely and totally worth it. Good thing at moment Pele is quiet so you don't have to deal with VOG.

As a recent transplant - all the people I know tell me about the old days when Queens bath Kalapana etc is there. I was always never been there didn't see that. Just in a couple of seasons it is amazing to say Wow I walked on land that is covered in lava today it used to be this way. I would walk out to Kalapana lava viewing (not in park side not worth it ) because someday you may be able to say the same thing. And who knows what it will be doing tomarrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I don't know why anyone would bother going to the Big Island without seeing the volcano.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
While you're up at the park, Volcano Village is worth driving around. It's a cute town, kind of artsy, and with a climate that reminded me of the Pacific Northwest. (Bring a jacket -- it can get chilly up at the volcano, due to the altitude.) If you like wine, also check out the Volcano Winery, which I believe is Hawaii's only winery.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Volcano Winery, which I believe is Hawaii's only winery.
Maybe Hawaii Island's only, but not Hawaii's only:

Home - Maui's Winery at Ulupalakua Ranch

Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
If you like wine, also check out the Volcano Winery, which I believe is Hawaii's only winery.
Not the only winery in Hawai'i, but definitely the southernmost winery in the US. Probably the only one with Nene geese wandering about.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 PM

101 posts, read 249,570 times
If you go to Volcano Village, try having a meal at the Thai place (I can't remember the name). We took our nieces there and the owner was so sweet. She even came and sat down with us and told us about her family. She also talked us into ice cream for dessert. Great idea.

Oh, and the food is very good too. I can't wait to go back.

If you decide to stay in Volcano for a night or two (again, I recommend this), the Volcano Inn is awesome. Beautiful setting, clean comfortable accommodations and very nice staff. If you want a rental house, we rented the Paniolo Cottage from Bernie (found it on VRBO). It was so perfect we really hated to leave. Sitting in the hottub on the lanai listening to the rain was so relaxing.

Love the Volcano area. Can't wait to get back!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:19 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
If you go to Volcano Village, try having a meal at the Thai place (I can't remember the name). We took our nieces there and the owner was so sweet. She even came and sat down with us and told us about her family. She also talked us into ice cream for dessert. Great idea.
Thai Thai!

The food is great, but it's really pricey for Thai food, I gotta say.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Thai Thai!

The food is great, but it's really pricey for Thai food, I gotta say.
It's prize winning food, yes, and I don't find it expensive at all by "big city" standards.

Personally I prefer Kiawe Kitchen for more frequent dining... it has a wood-fired brick oven for making gourmet pizza and roasted meats. The only problem is they tend to be quite busy.

For a more family style meal, you can hit the Lava Cafe at the Kilauea Military Camp inside the National Park. Although the camp is now a resort for military families, the restaurant, bar, and bowling alley are all open to the public.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM

101 posts, read 249,570 times
We tried to go to Kiawe Kitchen and not only were they very busy, they were incredibly RUDE! We were completely ignored and when we dared to ask a question were answered in a very snotty tone. When we tried to place a to-go pizza order (after watching several people pick up orders) we were told that they were "too busy" and weren't taking anymore to-go orders.

After standing for over 15 minutes without being acknowledged by so much as a smile or nod, we left. I will never go back there, even though the food we saw did look delicious.

Such a difference at the thai restaurant. And I agree that the food wasn't expensive compared to what we pay here in Seattle and with the service we received I'd have paid twice as much. In fact, we left a 40% tip.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
We tried to go to Kiawe Kitchen and not only were they very busy, they were incredibly RUDE! We were completely ignored and when we dared to ask a question were answered in a very snotty tone. When we tried to place a to-go pizza order (after watching several people pick up orders) we were told that they were "too busy" and weren't taking anymore to-go orders.
Just pretend you're in NYC.

BTW, the Ohia Cafe around the corner is very good, but it's all outside eating or "to-go" and they close at 7

Another good place to eat is the Kiluaea Lodge, maybe 1,000 ft north along Old Volcano Road from Kiawe Kitchen, but it is a little more pricy. The chef is European trained, the food is Euro-Hawaiian Fusion, quite nice and the ambiance... old lodge style... is laid back, while the service is top notch. They make an outstanding "island margarita," with passionfruit essence instead of lime, and the glass rimmed with "lee hing powder," a popular red condiment in Hawai'i.

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island