Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM

351 posts, read 587,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Another good place to eat is the Kiluaea Lodge, maybe 1,000 ft north along Old Volcano Road from Kiawe Kitchen, but it is a little more pricy. The chef is European trained, the food is Euro-Hawaiian Fusion, quite nice and the ambiance... old lodge style... is laid back, while the service is top notch. They make an outstanding "island margarita," with passionfruit essence instead of lime, and the glass rimmed with "lee hing powder," a popular red condiment in Hawai'i.
I love, LOVE Kilauea Lodge! I try to visit the Big Island at least once a year and always stay with my best friend who lives in Mountain View. I was there last January when my friend asked me if I wanted to go to a restaurant that has really high quality food.

She forewarned me that the prices at Kilauea Lodge were kind of steep, averaging about $30 or more for entrees. I told her I still wanted to go. WOW, I swear, it was the BEST restaurant food that I have had in the last 15 years!

We were a group of 3 and we shared a baked Brie appetizer. That baked Brie had toasted almonds, cranberries and other stuff served with the restaurants homemade bread with a papaya salsa. We were all exclaiming how DELICIOUS this appetizer was.

I ordered the roasted duck leg and every mouthful was like HEAVEN! Even the sides were cooked to perfection! Since I was staying at her house for 4 days, in appreciation I treated our whole group and the bill with cocktails came out to about $150. But man so worth it.

I eat out at fine dining establishments in Honolulu about 6 - 8 times a year, and Kilauea Lodge in my opinion has beat them all!

BTW, the restaurant's mascot named Meatloaf is a really nifty cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
BTW, the restaurant's mascot named Meatloaf is a really nifty cat.
When the weather is nice, I enjoy a leisurely digestif out in the gazebo, where you can often find Meatloaf conked out after dinner.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Personally I prefer Kiawe Kitchen for more frequent dining... it has a wood-fired brick oven for making gourmet pizza and roasted meats. The only problem is they tend to be quite busy.
UPDATE: Sorry to say, they have just closed and are "looking for another location." Since there are no other locations for 20 miles, it's Volcano's loss. Sorry to see them go.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 AM

36 posts, read 57,215 times
Something most visitors do not realize is that visiting the Park after dark is a very different and surreal experience. It has been mentioned in other threads as something worth experiencing. The red hue of lava just lights up the area at night in a way you can't enjoy otherwise.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Cat View Post
Something most visitors do not realize is that visiting the Park after dark is a very different and surreal experience. It has been mentioned in other threads as something worth experiencing. The red hue of lava just lights up the area at night in a way you can't enjoy otherwise.
What's more, when you have a clear night, the sky overhead is jet black and the stars are brilliant. The Milky Way is a clear it's breathtaking. Then when you see the glow of the caldera under all that magnificent sky, it's amazing.

Wear a warm coat... it's often windy and cold up there, at about 3,700 feet... and bring a flashlight, to help you find your way. The lights are deliberately kept dim so your eyes adapt to the dark for viewing the lava and stars overhead.

And if you bring a water bottle, there is a refill station of fresh, delicious water.

Oh, and if you hit the main gate after 6, the Park Rangers are off duty but the gate is left open and admission is free until the next morning.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 AM

93 posts, read 305,692 times
It is an amazing place. We had a window of about 30 minutes to view the crater before the fog and rain rolled in on August 28th. This is what we saw.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM

97 posts, read 279,313 times
Wow, fantastic photo Zachary!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM

49 posts, read 132,864 times
Uh, yeah! How can anyone come to the Big Island and not go to Volcano? Hellowww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island