Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM

26 posts, read 78,275 times

Advertisements

Is Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park worth going to from Kona?

How hard is it to get to the flowing lava if there is any that day?

Is it worth going if there isn't any flowing lava?

TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman99 View Post
Is Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park worth going to from Kona?
It's the second most popular tourist attraction in Hawai'i... some months it's even #1... but only you will know if it's da kine that's "worth it" to you. If you are expecting to be awed by 6 o'Clock news type views of spurting lava... your odds of having that kind of experience are low. If you are willing to be awed by walking around on top of the world's largest active volcano, where almost every plant and bird you see is endangered, and found no place else on earth, then yeah, it's an astonishing place.

Quote:
How hard is it to get to the flowing lava if there is any that day?
Not hard. A drive, then a schlep. Open to the public 2pm to 10pm daily. Check the park website.

Quote:
Is it worth going if there isn't any flowing lava?
Like I said, it all depends. I stop in for a visit about once a week, and I never get tired of it, but I'm a big fan of the natural world. But my best friend was bored when he visited the park and couldn't wait to leave.

The view from the Jagger Museum in Volcanoes National Park is staggering... from 4,000' feet across the steaming caldera and down to the ocean... then back to the peak of Mauna Loa... and at nighttime, the red glow of the lava while overhead the sky is jet black and you can clearly see the Milky Way is breathtaking... and the museum itself is fascinating... to some of us.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Depending on where you are in Kona, it's about a 2-1/2 hour drive to the park. If you like to see the "newest" land in the United States, then yes, it's worth a trip. It's like nothing you will see anywhere else, unless you've been to Craters of the Moon in Idaho.

There has not been any flowing lava that the public can see for quite a long time. However, you can see steam vents and walk through a lava tube, and I agree with OpenD about the view from the Jagger Museum.

On your drive, stop in at the Punalu'u Bakery in Naalehu and go across the street to have lunch at the Hana Hou. Experience some of rural Hawaii.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
On your drive, stop in at the Punalu'u Bakery in Naalehu and go across the street to have lunch at the Hana Hou. Experience some of rural Hawaii.
I second the motion. And while you're at it, stop at Punulu'u Beach... it's the black sand beach where the sea turtles come up on shore... unforgettable!

From there it's about 25 miles to Volcanoes National Park.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Default Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - open 24 hours a day folks!

The park is open 24 hours a day and worth seeing after dark, are the steam vents and Halemaumau.

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park is open 24 hours a day year-round. The Kilauea Visitor Center is located on Crater Rim Drive off of Highway 11 between the 28 and 29 mile marker south of Hilo

Kilauea Visitor Center is open daily from 7:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Jaggar Museum is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. New Hours!!
Jaggar Museum Bookstore is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

If you like to hike there are many trails, long and short. Thurston Lava Tube is very interesting but the real magic begins when you step out of it into a small ancient rainforest where you expect to see fairies and hobbits around each tree fern.

This park is immensely interesting and educational and no trip to the Big Island is complete without seeing at least part of it!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
p.s. From Kona this is how I usually take visitors. Leaving about 7 or 8:00 a.m., and
driving the southern route, takes you through a lot of scenery. Turn onto Southpoint Road and spend a few minutes trying not to get blown off the cliffs. This is where many believe the first adventurers arrived. Going back up to the highway, turn right continuing on your way. Next top, Black Sand Beach where you will probably be able to see some huge sea turtles. Stop in Nahalehu at the Punalu'u Bakery for a treat and a clean bathroom (which are few and far between here). Continue on your way to Volcanoes National Park where you can spend how ever long you want. On your way back to Kona, go the Hilo to Waimea to the Queen K Hwy route. I don't recommend taking the 190 to Kona from Waimea in the dark unless you are really used to it. We usually eat in Hilo. Between Hilo and Waimea, stop in Honoka'a at Tex's Drive Inn for another clean bathroom break and a malasada treat.

The Volcano is often misty and cool so take a light jacket and wear real shoes.

You may laugh at my bathroom directions but trust me, it's good to know where they are because we have no rest stops around here!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,732 times
I was in BI for a long weekend, staying in Kona. We made the trip to Kona even though we were limited on time and it took the entire day. I definitely think it was worth it and there wasn't any spewing lava that I saw. It is just a really interesting and unique place. However, I live here and went knowing that I could go back any time I wanted to fly over. You didn't say how long you long you will be there for so if you have limited time, you could always consider a helicopter tour to see everything from above to save time.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 AM

101 posts, read 249,603 times
KonaKat I love your trip! That is exactly what we do. We even bought Malasada mix to bring home on our last trip in March. We love the volcano and go every time we're on the island. In March we had our 2 nieces with us (aged 10 and 14) and they loved it too, especially the Thurston Lava Tube.

In November 2010, we were lucky enough to get a tour of Jagger's lab. If you ever have the chance, take this tour. The gentleman who leads it is very knowledgeable and extremely entertaining. My DH and I were the only ones who took the tour so we had his undivided attention.

I also second the recommendation to stop at Punaluu Beach. We've never failed to see turtles sleeping in the sand there. In March there were 4 of them. It's always been windy and overcast when we've been there, but beautiful nonetheless. Last November we hacked through the vegetation to find the old Cultural Center and Restaurant that was abandoned in the 90's. Very cool.

Another good stop between the Volcano and Hilo is the Akatsuka Orchid farm. Gorgeous flowers and very tranquil.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
It's definitely worth visiting. Even when lava is flowing, the park officials won't let you get very close to it. The petraglyphs, the lava tubes, the steam vents, the Jagger and the view across the caldera are all highlights. Just don't take the lava and anger Madame Pele.

There is a bakery on the south route in Punulu'u if memory serves, and is a great stopping point for a snack or a breakfast/lunch.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

102 posts, read 162,491 times
Definitely visit, very very well worth the effort and I would plan to start early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island