Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM

502 posts, read 985,208 times

Advertisements

Go chunk your Lexus, Cadillac, Maserati, Bugatti, and all your Designer suits and attitude. Your dont need them in Puna. Malibu may suck up to them and you but not here - - so go live there with that crap. The sun and rain will make short work of your suits and leather interior. SUVs are OK and little non descript cars are seen here.

Bring da slippahs and da T shirts. No long black socks wit da shiny black oxfords. Bring da smile and Aloha spirit. Come in, Look around, No shame, We no bite.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Go chunk your Lexus, Cadillac, Maserati, Bugatti, and all your Designer suits and attitude. Your dont need them in Puna. Malibu may suck up to them and you but not here - - so go live there with that crap. The sun and rain will make short work of your suits and leather interior. SUVs are OK and little non descript cars are seen here.

Bring da slippahs and da T shirts. No long black socks wit da shiny black oxfords. Bring da smile and Aloha spirit. Come in, Look around, No shame, We no bite.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Default Building a Cabin or Yurt in Puna and getting transportation

If you can get a decent cabin or yurt up that does Not look like it was made from a painted card board refrigerator box, and have crappy broke down cars/trucks on your property, the state will appreciate Then appreciate your efforts. Try to look like you made a decent effort to build something that looks like humans live in and not humans and rats and mice.

Craigslist can be helpful in buying a used vehicle. I also have found that, someone, driving my "dream truck" and in casual conversation I have asked, if they wanted to sell said truck. I have picked up vehicles this way. Some times, they will state a price that is even lower than what I have imagined !

Used car lots can be "iffy". Their cars may be all shiny looking but have serious mechanical defects. Before you buy, you should pay a trusted mechanic to go over it and give you the low down. Of course this takes extra time and money. But I think it is worth it.

As soon as you buy your land - start planting a few fruit trees and or nut trees in stead of waiting for the "right time". In a few years they will be much further along than if you had waited until you got around to it.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Choosing a Location to Buy your Land / Home

This is good in anyone's book.

Before you buy, go scout out the neighborhood ! Hang out there at night, and in the daytime. Weekends and in the evening would be wise too. If you value peace and quiet at least, this will help you to decide.

If you are timid to meet the neighbors, you can have a friend do it for you. If you find that you dont like the neighbors, what the h*** business are you going to do with this home if you discover you have contentious ornery hateful neighbors.

It is like marrying a spouse. Did you not know when you marry a spouse, you are also marrying the entire family ? Hellooooo ? Remember uncle fred at Thankgiving with all his little brats, or Aunt Edna at Christmas time with all her rantings ? Or that cousin who rifles through your belongings behind your back and steals you blind. You marry your spouse's entire family.

Sober Up !

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Default I know of Peeps who have

bought land years ago and "not got around to it" to plant any fruit/nut trees nor grow anything edible. They tell me that they are just too busy !

But watch them play on their computer. I find growing good plants and trees is also therapuetic - good for the soul ! And I love and cherish honey bees. They are the hard workers that Almighty God in His Mercy, looked out for us, to make them pollinators so that we could abound with variety.

I got back from a distant trip in January in the South Pacific and I know of island nations that do not have honey bees because the islanders and government are Terrified of them . They have heard of reports of honey bees stinging and killing humans. But they have rats and wasps. No one freaks out about them. The wasps go about their business building those darn mud clump nests of theirs and everyone knows that rats lurk about in the night.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Getting a great view of the Ocean and or Snow Capped Volcano

How this can be done if you have forest and at least a few acres.

You can build a second or third story onto your home with a platform on the roof and a way to access it.

Or on the cheap, build a deer blind high enough to accomodate this desire. They are relatively cheap to build and you can get ideas for what they look like through Academy Sports (store) off the internet. Just be certain to build the ladder part out of metal that (hopefully) will not rust and you can treat the metal with the proper sealants from your own research. I have seen deer blinds that were about 65 feet off the ground.

Now if you were enterpreneuring like Chevy Chase's character, you could build one to the moon.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Default Come Live in the Tropical Paradise of Hawaii and Dont Feel the Need to Be Drunk

Gosh, I dont understand how or why rich people who are even successful at what they do get stoned drunk or stoned on meds. There are so many wonderful books of the World to read. So much ocean to surf, snorkel, sail, swim, scuba, fish, harpoon gun - in. So much tropical (edible) plants to grow and enjoy, honey bees to raise. Talk story with friends, so much benevolence to volunteer to do to make this a better world.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Ever Notice on the Radio or Television How news people Speak Down to You ?

Politicians, Doctors, Lawyers, Journalists, Food Sellers ? They talk down to you like you are Stupid and They have the Cure for what you need .

Lets face it - the Public is stupid because we buy their S...! But I hate being talked down to, as though I have NO brain . Like gas cost $4.20 9/10.

What is up with the 9/10 ? Can you go to a store and shell out only 9/10 ? Or demand 1/10 change ?

The fast food stores show photos of food that do not look like the food they sell you. Like Spicy Chicken sandwhich photo does not look like the offered product.

Doctors treat you for one disease with a drug but that drug may cause other problems for you.

Politicians promise to get out of the Middle East if you elect them - only to tell you after you vote for them that: "We cannot leave right now ".

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Default puna hawaii definitely needs more nice people to come and live and work here

Yes, we need good able bodied people to come and work in Big Island Hawaii. Leave the Tommy Hilfiger / Aberombie & Fitch attitude fashionistas behind, come da Island Stylin and relax. Work hard grab da take out and do your pleasure sports.

Come inside and Look, We no bite, No Shame .

Old 04-18-2011, 04:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Default interested in FFVE

Hello,

I currently live in Alaska and my wife and I are considering buying a 3-acre parcel in the FFVE area. Our plan would be to vacation to the parcel once or twice a year to plant fruit trees etc and begin preparing the site for a relocation. The area appeals to me because of the elevation, vegetation, and price of available lots.

I've heard this is an "anything goes" area which is fine for me- that's pretty much how most of Alaska is anyway. Plus I'm already used to a high cost of living and inclement weather. (I live in SE Alaska which is a temperate rain forest).

I'm not interested in a spaghetti lot because we plan to have an outdoor parrot flight and need a couple hundred feet to the property line because we don't want loud macaws to upset any neighbors who might move in. I did notice there are 3 or 4 square lots currently for sale in FFVE and probably more in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Anybody in the area want to help out a future neighbor? Maybe by emailing me pix of potential lots or telling me general information about them? Of course before purchase I would examine the land myself but I would like to make the purchase in one trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island