Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM

58 posts, read 134,050 times

Advertisements

Some Bus Riders to Pay $1 Fee with New Budget

June 2, 2011
By Sherry Bracken
Hawaii County Council voted Wednesday to institute a $1 fare each way for Hele-On Bus riders starting July 1. This was one item in Mayor Billy Kenoi’s budget that had some controversy to it. The Hele-On Bus has been free, countywide, since 2005 under Mayor Harry Kim’s administration. With this decision, the fare will be charged to all except children under 5, seniors, students, and riders from disabilities. There will be discount passes — 10 rides for $7.50, or a monthly unlimited pass for $30.
The fee is estimated to add $567,000 into the budget. Some testifiers in the past, including Council Member Pete Hoffman, have said it’s not rational to charge people to ride the bus to work while continuing to subsidize golf in East Hawaii and pay for the County Band. The Council did cut the subsidy for West Hawaii to save $500,000, but maintained support for subsidizing golf at Hilo Municipal Golf Course at a cost of around $300,000. They also will continue to subsidize the County Band, which costs around $240,000 for East Hawaii (including $66,000 for the band director) and $45,000 for West Hawaii.

I think the reason given in this article is convincing enough. It's not rational to subsidy the golf band while you charge citizen a bus fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
I didn't know they had the bus on the Big Island. How is the service?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
It seems reasonable to me. You couldn't keep a car for 10 or 12 dollars per week. I do think the Golf courses should be self-supporting or sold, but I hate golf, so thats just me!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
By charging $1, they will not raise as much money as they claim. Many people will simply use the bus less or resort to more hitch-hiking, which is very prevalent on the island already. I would be surprised if they raised $300,000 by doing so.

The golf course and county band issues are both examples of things that should not be taxpayer supported. The government should be in the business of providing essential services, which do not include golf and bands.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM

206 posts, read 466,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post
It's not rational to subsidy the golf band while you charge citizen a bus fare.
I agree. The golf subsidy is pretty ridiculous, and if people relying on heleon (likely) can't pay, then they will just find other solutions. It's doubly sad that this money won't even go to expanding bus service, but apparently paying for unrelated stuff.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 AM

29 posts, read 104,868 times
I whole heartedly support charging for the bus service. Why should it be free? Makes no sense. In addition, I think it very likely that the majority of bus riders are not tax paying citizens.

I also agree we should do something about the golf and band subsidies.

Last edited by Ryan.; 06-03-2011 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling error

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM

58 posts, read 134,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan. View Post
I whole heartedly support charging for the bus service. Why should it be free? Makes no sense. In addition, I think it very likely that the majority of bus riders are not tax paying citizens.
Do you mean students, seniors and disables?
For students, they're going to be taxpayers soon.
For seniors, they used to distribute many things while they were in working age.
For disables, it is about humanitarian aids.

However, taxes are not only income tax but also sales tax (genaral excise tax in HI).
I don't think there's any person can lives his/her life without being a consumer.
Thus, everybody is a taxpayer by either direct or indirect ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island