U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 AM

45 posts, read 125,985 times

Advertisements

Carmel,
I have had allergies forever! What my Docs have always said is that a person can always develop allergies at any age, at any time. Just can't predict it, even though you have been exposed for a year, still could happen later on. One doc I saw in Kailua dr Aller said that she make a tea blend that is supposed to help lessen the reaction. From what I have seen in the last 12 years on the forums is that VOG is not talked about as much as I assume it is not a good advertisement for living there. But here we have KonaKat who is a realtor who is mentioning the truth of the problem. Some years are worse than others and some places where it doesn't usually stay at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 AM

64 posts, read 251,956 times
Lucywe:

Thank you. Your answer helps. I assume from your answer that there is not a magic cure. Oh, well. That will not stop me from moving. But it will help me be more realistic that my move has not made everything magically all better.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 AM

45 posts, read 125,985 times
Carmel,
Right, no real cure :-(. I took allergy pills when I was there and still had a headache each day in Kailua.
I know from that, it is not a good idea for me to buy or rent there. I was at the 800 ft elevation level in a condo for a month in August 2000. The VOG rolled in every day but one, where it was clear most all of the day. Most people say above N. Kona, so in the Kohala or N. Kohala area is better if wanting the West side of the island to live on.
I am hoping this doesn't discourage anyone from moving, just in helping where they best fit in :-) So many factors to gather to see which suit you individually. It is quite the challenge to untangle them all.

All the best in your Adventure~!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 AM

26 posts, read 78,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucywe View Post
You don't say if you will be working when you arrive or if you have any lung/pulmonary disease. Or how much shopping/kinds of stores that you require. Perhaps if you gave us more information we could also help you out more.

I don't live there but have stayed in Kailua-Kona for extended periods and some other places on the island while I visited. I have asthma, so know that I could not live where the winds from the volcano blows! Sounds like a Jimmy Buffett song~~ LOL It gave me headaches everyday, itchy eyes and allergic symptoms. Moving into a district there that gets regular VOG--I don't think it would be healthy nor wise to do so for myself with asthma and it is too expensive later on to have to move, once situated in a house. One woman who lived there just got a skin allergy to it, very bad though and they had to leave and moved back to the mainland. One never knows who it will affect, even if you have allergies before or not, people can always develope them.

If you didn't have to work, perhaps you would fit in well in the Kohala area or North Kohala.
The whole island doesn't have the shopping that Oahu has. When I lived there, occasionally I could not find some things that I wanted. Lots of people have to order online and ship good to them and it is more costly and some things are very difficult to get it there. To save from the frustration it might be easier to go to Honolulu if it is available there. Many times you may find that you can do without also. You adjust to it.

All the best to you on the adventure!
Hi, for stores I basically mean for suppies and groceries. I won't be working as I'm disabled. However, My son does have asthma so that does concern me. He has not had to take any medication for it the last couple years, but when he did (from 1yr old-13 yr) it was very bad with a couple trips to the hospital when it was combined with a cold. I also get headaches from smoke, I wonder it vog would effect me the same way? I think it would be best to just not live where its most likely to be. Thanks for your post!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,189,230 times
Hi -- have read the posts on your other thread as well ... it is, for me, very hard to imagine you making the move to Big Island with your son at this point in his life -- though you might do okay on Oahu (I still think that will be tough ... but believable). The areas of Big Island that will be relatively VOG-free for your son (asthma) are NOT areas you / he will want to start high school as a teenage haole new to Hawaii. This is not simple negativity being cast your way! Also, you will NOT be able to live without a car on Big Island ... and despite the size of the island, the likelihood of feeling badly trapped there is exponentially higher for your situation than Honolulu area. Finally, Big Island has few beaches with easy access (back to you need a car and gas money), virtually none with any amenities, the best are isolated and your son will be an outcast with the groups there. If you like beaches, stick with Oahu and enjoy the easy access, relative safety and supervision, and the public transportation there (it's good).

The advice of living in an area close to military families on Oahu is right on for your son's introduction to Hawaii. There are other Oahu areas that would work -- and a couple spots on Big Island -- but only if you have substantial income. For your budget you are asking to ruin your adventure if you make the wrong choice -- as you'll have zero financial flexibility to make adjustments. Best wishes if you are determined to come over at this time. Really really really tough for your son, unfortunately. Good luck and Aloha

Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM

5,496 posts, read 11,839,224 times
Nullgeo, you are right on. I've told people over and over to please hold off on their dream of moving to “paradise” until their kids are done with school. Most people just do not understand the realities of living in Hawaii, and especially the impacts on their kids. I hope 1tchristy understands that you are giving her realistic advise for her own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island