Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

26 posts, read 82,909 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been reading a lot about the vog on the big island. This is one of the 2 islands I'm looking at moving to in the very near future. How often is this a problem? Is it daily? Is it all area's of the island? Some places worse than others? What does it look like? Sorry so many questions, but I don't think I have seen it in any photo's. (I will be looking now) Any help on the subject would be wonderful! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:31 PM

74 posts, read 166,254 times
Others with more info than I will answer soon I'm sure. It's my understanding that most of the vog ends up on the Kona side of the island. The times I've been there at my place near Pahoa I have not seen or experienced vog. It depends on the winds of course and I've heard of some vog around Hilo-but I don't think it's real common?? We don't live there yet, but soon hopefully.

jon in Puyallup, Wa.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
It depends on the winds and how much Halema'uma'u is spewing out. What part of the BI are you looking at?

I agree with birdmove that Kailua-Kona seems to suffer; most days we are there it is hazy. That's because of the way the winds blow and Kailua-Kona sits in an eddy. We live on the south end of the island, and the tradewinds blow it right by us. Hilo isn't affected at all because of the wind direction. I don't think that Waimea or the Hamakua coast are affected either.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
It depends on the winds and how much Halema'uma'u is spewing out. What part of the BI are you looking at?

I agree with birdmove that Kailua-Kona seems to suffer; most days we are there it is hazy. That's because of the way the winds blow and Kailua-Kona sits in an eddy. We live on the south end of the island, and the tradewinds blow it right by us. Hilo isn't affected at all because of the wind direction. I don't think that Waimea or the Hamakua coast are affected either.
Unfortunately the Hamakua coast is not immune to vog. When the trades aren't blowing we suffer over here in Honoka'a anyway. We have had fairly consistent trades over the past year or so and it's been nice. I can recall numerous times over the past 4 or 5 years when we would have month long(or more) stretches of vog

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

64 posts, read 264,633 times
Here is the best information I have found for vog...

Big Island Vog Index

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

I was looking more towards Kailua-Kona, but I'm not so sure now. I want to be near the beach, and close to activities. I don't want to be rained on all day, but still need to be close to stores. Oh... also a affordable area. I live on a fixed income. Any idea's?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel123 View Post
Here is the best information I have found for vog...

Big Island Vog Index
Thank you!! I will take a look!!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
I live in Kailua Kona, and frankly the vog has been very bad lately. That said however, everyone is different. Some people are extremely sensitive to it especially if they have asthma or other respiratory issues; some people aren't bothered by it at all. As with most allergens, the longer the exposure the greater the reaction. Itchy eyes, itchy skin, respiratory problems, malaise, minor headaches, fatigue, outer ear infections, sinus problems.

This is a good reason to investigate very carefully where one will live which includes paying attention to your elevation, situation of the house or condo for the prevailing winds, airflow.

Now that I said all that it could clear up tomorrow and be a Chamber of Commerce day for all we know. All we know for sure is that it is very unpredictable!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 AM

45 posts, read 130,309 times
You don't say if you will be working when you arrive or if you have any lung/pulmonary disease. Or how much shopping/kinds of stores that you require. Perhaps if you gave us more information we could also help you out more.

I don't live there but have stayed in Kailua-Kona for extended periods and some other places on the island while I visited. I have asthma, so know that I could not live where the winds from the volcano blows! Sounds like a Jimmy Buffett song~~ LOL It gave me headaches everyday, itchy eyes and allergic symptoms. Moving into a district there that gets regular VOG--I don't think it would be healthy nor wise to do so for myself with asthma and it is too expensive later on to have to move, once situated in a house. One woman who lived there just got a skin allergy to it, very bad though and they had to leave and moved back to the mainland. One never knows who it will affect, even if you have allergies before or not, people can always develope them.

If you didn't have to work, perhaps you would fit in well in the Kohala area or North Kohala.
The whole island doesn't have the shopping that Oahu has. When I lived there, occasionally I could not find some things that I wanted. Lots of people have to order online and ship good to them and it is more costly and some things are very difficult to get it there. To save from the frustration it might be easier to go to Honolulu if it is available there. Many times you may find that you can do without also. You adjust to it.

All the best to you on the adventure!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 AM

64 posts, read 264,633 times
Okay. Is a year in a specific location enough time to decide if you are having severe allergies to anything in that location?.......

So, no symptoms in one year, it is safe to buy a house in this location for allergy purposes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island