Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 PM

236 posts, read 648,808 times

Advertisements

P.S.: I think a great idea for someone in my planned situation (part-time resident) is to simply rent out the property when not using it. That way, not only is someone there keeping an eye on everything, but you're also gaining income from it. That income could then be used to cover the cost of future improvements (expanded house, etc.), and could help subsidize longer vacations. By the time I'm ready to fully retire (hopefully fairly young), the place could be completely ready to go for full-time occupancy.

And the great thing about Hawaii, unlike places like Florida, is that it's desirable for most people year-round. I suspect it will be a lot easier to rent out a Hawaii home in summer than a Florida place.

Anyone doing this currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
From what I've heard, if you are renting, you'll need an on-island representative in order to legally rent it out. There are folks who do this, some of the Real Estate companies do, I think. That is probably so the renters will have someone available to call if they need something fixed, I'd guess.

I don't know of any private campgrounds, perhaps you could start one? Here's a link to all the Hawaii County parks which allow camping: County of Hawaii - Parks & Recreation - Camping Sites (http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/parks/Camping.htm - broken link)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM

I might do that, or might just have the renters pay up front, and tell them to lay low. I tend to avoid complying with goofy laws wherever possible. (I really don't see how this is the county/state's business, as long as I'm not doing anything trully illegal/dangerous on the land.)

Hard to believe there's no private campsites, seems like there'd be major demand, especially since you can't really van camp (apparently) in any public campgrounds I'm aware of. If I had like 3 acres, it might be interesting to rent out part of the land for campers on a short-term basis.

Thanks for the link. I need to research the general camping situation further.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Alex, dear, when planning on doing something illegal, posting it on an open forum - or anywhere else online for that matter - isn't a particularly akamai (wise) sort of a thing to do. The folks in city hall are just as computer savvy as the rest of us.

Having an on-island representative makes life a lot easier for both the renters and the landlords. How can you fix something when it breaks if you are on the mainland? How can you keep track of the property and know that it is being taken care of? It's not that "goofy" of a law and it should also be an indication that there have been huge problems in that area for the lawmaking folks to have taken notice of it. However, it is also a well known law so if you do find a renter and don't have someone on island to manage things and if there is ever a problem between you and the renter, one phone call could get you in a lot of trouble so it is a liability on your side to not comply. But as long as you are aware of it, then you can choose to do as you wish, just don't be surprised if at some point there are consequences you aren't happy with.

A lot of this forum is for folks here to try to explain how things are done here to folks that may be moving here. Frequently many problems folks have when they move here is between how things are done here and how the new person expects them to be done.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM

I hear you, HC, that makes a little more sense. I guess it would come down to who you're renting it to, your relationship with them, what you have that might break down, etc. If you have a handyman to handle stuff, and/or everyone knows everyone (and ideally are friends), or are capable of maintaining it themselves, having a formal representative probably could be avoided, but I see what you're saying about arms-length tenants and the risk of complications, legal or otherwise.

And I do appreciate the effort to explain why things are done the way they are. I'm not really concerned about being tracked down by City Hall, b/c this is an anonymous forum, I have no profile info, and I seriously doubt they have the time or resources to monitor and investigate such posts. But if there's a good reason for a policy, I still want to know, as I prefer to make life as good as possible for those around me, as well as myself.

I just think it's generally important to distinguish between what is legal, what is right, and what makes sense, as those three things don't always line up. Often, laws are passed for goofy or self-serving reasons that don't benefit the people affected, or society generally. (And I think we all recognize that.) For example, a law like this could also be passed largely to ensure employment/income for politically-connected locals, there might be large state/county fees involved, etc. And while such a law would certainly make sense for any multiple-dwelling situation, I think its practical applicability to a modest individual residential or vacation property would depend on the specific circumstances.

Anyway, I'm not picking on Hawaii specifically here, and I realize any arrival should try to adapt to local custom if he wants to get along. It's just that my background and training have shown me that not all laws (anywhere) make sense, or should be followed. (It used to be illegal to assist fugitive slaves, and until 2003 homosexuality was still illegal in several states.) And just as it's important to generally follow laws (and other cutoms) that make sense, and benefit society, it's also important to question laws, consider their application in specific situations, and push back against them when they're unjustified. Otherwise, we simply become a nation of sheep, and lose our freedoms without even a fight.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,219 times
Please consider this a serious question. I can buy a lot in Puna. But can't put up a house or septic unless the unlikely event someone helps me. I will never have any income but food stamps. No SS even as o don't have the credits. I will never be allowed public housing. I want to go to this lot, try to get food each day and wait to die. Something happened to me 16 years ago that results in not being allowed anything in USA society. Since my mental state had not got to the sucide state I just want to exist until I die as it is my only option. Do you think I could get away in living on this land. Surely I would not be a problem to anyone Thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 01:19 PM

473 posts, read 796,817 times
If you are disabled, why not apply for Title XVI disability benefits? They are needs based and do not require a work history/quarters of coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island