Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I’m a haole that used to live in Kailua, Oahu in the 70’s for 3 years went to Kailua High school my first year there and worked in Pearl Harbor doing construction the other two years. I’ve always regretted leaving because looking back it is the only place I felt that I fit in. When I went back to the mainland I felt it was like going back in time as far as social/life values go, but I was young and “Island Happy” so I thought bigger would be better. Being a kid it was all about where were the waves pumpin and hanging out.

Now I’m older in body but similar in attitude, although tempered by life my judgement may be clouded by the memory of youth. I’ve been thinking about moving to the Big Island and wanted to know what to expect attitude wise and how to get by financially. Below are 3 things I want to know about weather, housing, and making a living.

What area’s on the Big Island are similar in climate to the Windward side of Oahu like the Kailua area?

After looking at some adds it looks like there are small homes there that can be bought for around $150,000 less than $200,000 do these really exist and if so would you want to live in that location. I don’t mind fixing one up if it needs it.

I’m a Jack-of-all-Trades type that can do renovation type construction to working with computers (used to do programming and now process LiDAR data). I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty or sweat. I have an assortment of tools including air compressor, air nailers, power miter saw and table saw. After reading some of the posts I thought about getting a little Kubota tractor with the mower, backhoe, frontend loader and a trailer to haul it. Try and do general handyman, light construction type work. Will the economy support this or am I being unrealistic? Do you have to be licensed to do this and are permits required for every little thing? It looks like the economy is really tough over there right now. Would appreciate any comments.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM

113 posts, read 252,547 times
I would guess you would do well in the Puna area. You have useful skills and are not afraid of work. I have seen many properties that are neglected and some work could bring them around. Use alohaliving.com and explore what is available.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
You aren't going to find Kailua type beaches here except over on the Kona side where it is hot and dry. Kailua (Oahu) type weather is probably similar to the Hilo side which has rocky beaches and a bit of surf at Honoli'i.

I'm seeing a bit of work appear here and there but I don't know if it is "living wage" type work or not. If you can keep your living expenses low enough, then it might work out. The key is to live cheap however you can make that work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: