U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 AM

13 posts, read 29,410 times

Advertisements

We are most likely moving to Hilo in a month. "We" meaning my husband, myself, 4 kids (aged 7 and under) and 2 dogs and 3 cats. I grew up on Oahu and have wanted to go home for a long time. We originally chose the Kona side, but the lack of jobs for my husband over there, made that nearly impossible. The job in Hilo is a good one, and hard to say no to. I really love the Big Island.

So, because of the pets started looking at housing in Pahoa. Turns out the elementary school there is ranked the 10th worst in the entire HI school district . In general, I am ok with public schools, or charters. I found a charter that still has room for them, Waters of Life. Alternatively, I would feel comfortable sending them to DeSilva Elementary (ranked very high in the school system) but am having a hard time figuring out WHERE do you live to go to that school.

So question is, anyone know anything about living in Pahoa (how far to Hilo exactly, when I was there last I THINK it took about 30 mins?), anyone know anything about Waters of Life, and where does one live to be in the right neighborhood for DeSilva? Or any other recommendations for a good elementary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:22 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,312,085 times
30 mins. or less is right except during the rush hour crawl, which can take an hour. Keonopoko elementary is considered better than Pahoa, serves the Hawaiian Beaches area. There are also Pu'a La'a and HAAS charter schools. Desilva elementary serves Kaumana, Piihonua and Ainaku, the upper parts of Hilo.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 08-13-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Yeah those charters were full so the one in Mountain View was the only one with room left.

I am going next week so will look at the areas around DeSilva because it is impossible to do this online.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM

11,028 posts, read 22,478,342 times
Pauuilo school up the Hamakua coast is a good school from all reports I've heard. They are one of the few that aren't in "restructuring". Rents aren't too bad in the area if you can find a rental, though, and there is a lot less crime.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM

OK I looked up Pauuilo on the map and it looks kinda far for my husband to commute. But you're right, the school is supposed to be good.

But ahhh...tell me about the crime in Pahoa, HPP and Hawaiian Beaches? Property crime, violent crime, drugs?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM

And, kinda sketchy but I have inquired about a few homes for rent on Craigslist and it is just astounding how many people are heading off to Africa for 2-3 years and desperately need you to rent their home because they couldn't sell it and they love their family so much that I get a description of each family member when all I was asking is if it has a fence.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM

11,028 posts, read 22,478,342 times
The drive into Hilo from Pauuilo is about as long (timewise) as the drive in from Pahoa and a lot less traffic and much better scenery. A whole lot less crime and such out along the Hamakua coast. I suspect mostly because the area has a higher percentage of families who grew up around here and the population is less so folks know who belongs in the area and who doesn't. Laupahoehoe school just became a charter school and they have a great campus. Huge library, great swimming pool, nice grounds and buildings, etc. Laupahoehoe is closer to Hilo than Pauuilo, too.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM

3,752 posts, read 10,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdogirl View Post
And, kinda sketchy but I have inquired about a few homes for rent on Craigslist and it is just astounding how many people are heading off to Africa for 2-3 years and desperately need you to rent their home because they couldn't sell it and they love their family so much that I get a description of each family member when all I was asking is if it has a fence.
Craigslist is full of scams. Beware.

I would stick with using a real property management firm or looking at paid ads through the local newspaper.
Hawaii Tribune Herald

Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 AM

1,691 posts, read 4,162,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdogirl View Post
If it's toooo good to be true then it is. The ones that claim they are in Africa have been reported and their posts flagged by me. If you get the proverbial long email with the diatribe about how they are missionaries or getting into oil and would be honored if you would live in their house for a ridiculously low monthly rental fee then you know it's a scam ... Surprise! ... Seriously; how stupid do they think people are? I wonder why it's always Africa I've reported 3 posts that I've received emails discussing the Africa scam.

On the other end of the spectrum there are many good rentals advertised in craigslist. No one hardly adversities in the local paper anymore. You just have to use some common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island