U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 AM

160 posts, read 468,853 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I have been reading through this forum trying to soak up as much information as I can before posting. My family will be making the move near Hilo (we'll actually be in between Volcano and Mountain View) in about 3 months and I am just looking to learn more about the island,people, culture etc.
One of my main concerns is that I keep hearing here and elsewhere that the schools are not so good. As it is now I live in Indiana and our public schools are a total nightmare. For 3 years running now they have come in WAY below the national average, so I'm thinking Hilo cant possibly be too much worse. Our zip code will be if that's helpful as far as what schools we will be involved with.
I'm also wondering of course about this haole hate I keep hearing so much about, what's it like in the area I'll be moving to?
Also how much of a problem are the poisonous creepy crawlies in the area?(scorpions etc)
Absolutely everything else I have heard so far sounds wonderful! I'm basically looking for any information I can get about the area, pro or con. Also any info on...well basically customs or whatnot I should get to know before I get there and make an a$$ out of myself somehow
Thanks for any and all replies
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 AM

376 posts, read 455,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Hello there. I have been reading through this forum trying to soak up as much information as I can before posting. My family will be making the move near Hilo (we'll actually be in between Volcano and Mountain View) in about 3 months and I am just looking to learn more about the island,people, culture etc.
One of my main concerns is that I keep hearing here and elsewhere that the schools are not so good. As it is now I live in Indiana and our public schools are a total nightmare. For 3 years running now they have come in WAY below the national average, so I'm thinking Hilo cant possibly be too much worse. Our zip code will be if that's helpful as far as what schools we will be involved with.
I'm also wondering of course about this haole hate I keep hearing so much about, what's it like in the area I'll be moving to?
Also how much of a problem are the poisonous creepy crawlies in the area?(scorpions etc)
Absolutely everything else I have heard so far sounds wonderful! I'm basically looking for any information I can get about the area, pro or con. Also any info on...well basically customs or whatnot I should get to know before I get there and make an a$$ out of myself somehow
Thanks for any and all replies
Mind sharing with us what line of work you will be in?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,130,452 times
Find mySchool on the Big Island

Can't see your zip code in the message above, but try clicking on this link to use the DOE website to locate your school complex. There are also contact numbers and websites if you search through the site.

(I have a friend who's grandson has been at Mt. View Elementary for a little over a year now. He requires special education services and they have been very happy so far with his teachers and the school's involvement in his situation. They moved here from a larger school system in Seattle.)

Welcome to the Big Island!

Aloha,

Cynthia

Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 AM

Oh sorry, I am a stay at home mom currently, or at least until my youngest is in a full day of school. I was considering going back to school myself at that point but I've got a couple years to think about that. My husband has done a bit of everything at different points in his life but has been working the last 10 years in retail management.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Find mySchool on the Big Island

Can't see your zip code in the message above, but try clicking on this link to use the DOE website to locate your school complex. There are also contact numbers and websites if you search through the site.

(I have a friend who's grandson has been at Mt. View Elementary for a little over a year now. He requires special education services and they have been very happy so far with his teachers and the school's involvement in his situation. They moved here from a larger school system in Seattle.)

Welcome to the Big Island!

Aloha,

Cynthia
Thanks much, I had a hard time finding school listings in google! Looks like Volcano School of Arts and Sciences would be the one in our zip code. It's a public charter, in my experience here in Indiana, that's a good thing. Not sure what it's like there though.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Also any info on...well basically customs or whatnot I should get to know before I get there and make an a$$ out of myself somehow
A few things to know:

1) ALWAYS take off your shoes before entering someone's house.

2) Wait a while before trying out any pidgin words/inflection....it always makes me laugh to hear recent arrivals try. Best to wait until it comes naturally...unless you are in the company of good friends. (In my first years here as a teacher, I spent a lot of time with local families and their children. They could totally tell when it happened naturally. They gave me a bit of good-natured teasing when I didn't notice that I was picking up phrases--especially my students.)

3) Take care in how and when you use the words "Hawaiian", "native Hawaiians" and "local". It's another area where listening and learning for a while is a good idea. Some of my mainland friends and family have no clue how these terms should be used, and have made some really odd and inaccurate statements in public places.

4) A couple of general rules of the road: on the narrow roads, if his/her vehicle is bigger than whatever you are driving--you pull over! Or if you are driving Saddle Road, up the Hamakua Coast, etc., if someone wants to drive faster than you--please pull over. Not every one wants to see all the waterfalls between Hilo and Waimea! Also, there are still some one-lane bridges on the island. Watch carefully for the yield signs.

I'm sure others will have plenty to add....but the fact that you care enough to ask the question tells me you are going to do just fine!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post

2) Wait a while before trying out any pidgin words/inflection....it always makes me laugh to hear recent arrivals try. Best to wait until it comes naturally...unless you are in the company of good friends. (In my first years here as a teacher, I spent a lot of time with local families and their children. They could totally tell when it happened naturally. They gave me a bit of good-natured teasing when I didn't notice that I was picking up phrases--especially my students.)
Thanks much for the pointers. Just a question on #2, is it cool to say Mahalo or should I wait on that one too and stick to thank you till I get it down?

Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM

Aloha and mahalo are safe...But here's a fun thing to do: listen very closely to how different people say the word "aloha". It can be revealing. Are you hearing AH-lo-ha or Ah-lo-ah or UH-lo-ha? It might be just me...anyone else ever note the distinctions?

Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM

29 posts, read 281,548 times
In regard to the Volcano school... I highly recommend that school. I wanted my son to go there but it is just too far for such a hyper little boy to ride to and from school every day. Please keep in mind that Volcano school is very full and I have heard (hearsay) that they are turning children away. People from as far as HOVE, over an hour to the school, send their children to Volcano.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. As I looked over the school's website I'm liking it more and more. I didn't think of it being full as I saw the student to teacher ratio was 1 to 14!!!! But, alas, maybe thats WHY its such a good school. I really love the idea that not all learning is all books and classroom though and thought, what a great way for my kids to learn more about our new home. I hope I can get them in, I look forward to them coming home and teaching me all the neat things they learned about the islands at school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island