U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM

84 posts, read 143,627 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I've been going to the Big Island, which I LOVE, since 2006. Been there 5 times and miss it while I'm not there. I have considered the other islands the last few times, because everyone gives me such a hard time about going to the same place over and over and not exploring the other islands.

I've always decided against it because I feel like the BI has so much to do and I don't want to wish I had gone there while on vacation on a different island. I've read the "Blue book" about Kaua'i, Maui and don't think there is much to do if you don't like water sports or hanging at the beach. I'm sure they are beautiful, but are they beautiful in a different way than the BI? Am I crazy to want to keep going to the Big Island? Am I missing something on the other islands? Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

11,969 posts, read 16,383,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Hi all! I've been going to the Big Island, which I LOVE, since 2006. Been there 5 times and miss it while I'm not there. I have considered the other islands the last few times, because everyone gives me such a hard time about going to the same place over and over and not exploring the other islands.

I've always decided against it because I feel like the BI has so much to do and I don't want to wish I had gone there while on vacation on a different island. I've read the "Blue book" about Kaua'i, Maui and don't think there is much to do if you don't like water sports or hanging at the beach. I'm sure they are beautiful, but are they beautiful in a different way than the BI? Am I crazy to want to keep going to the Big Island? Am I missing something on the other islands? Thanks for any input.
Definitely check out another island - they are all very unique from each other. For me, when I go to Kona for work - I feel like I've landed on the moon with all the lava - and when I go to Hilo, I feel like I'm in a tropical rainforest, emphasis on rain.

Striking beauty - check out Kauai. More diverse activites - check out Maui.

If you love the BI so much - why not break the trip up in 2 parts, BI and another island? Get the best of both worlds.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM

3,783 posts, read 3,893,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Definitely check out another island - they are all very unique from each other. For me, when I go to Kona for work - I feel like I've landed on the moon with all the lava - and when I go to Hilo, I feel like I'm in a tropical rainforest, emphasis on rain.

Striking beauty - check out Kauai. More diverse activites - check out Maui.

If you love the BI so much - why not break the trip up in 2 parts, BI and another island? Get the best of both worlds.
Excellent suggestion. It's $65.00 to fly from Kona to Maui. There's no reason why you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM

5,495 posts, read 11,805,885 times
Although I live on the Big Island and love it, I would suggest visiting the other islands. Kauai is about as different as you can get from the Big Island; it's the greenest and the wettest. Kauai has the Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyon. You've got to see both in person to appreciate the full beauty.

Ages of the different islands: Kauai 5.1 million years, Oahu 3 million, Maui, 1.3 million, Big Island 400,000. Time and weather have created very, very different landscapes on the older islands. If you've only been on the Big Island, then you haven't had the whole experience of Hawaii.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

84 posts, read 143,627 times
I really appreciate everybody's input. I guess I didn't realize the islands were so different. I always felt that the BI had beautiful green areas as well as the lava. I've never understood how people say that Kona side is like the moon. I find the lava as beautiful as the sea and the rainforests. I am so looking forward to being there again!!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM

102 posts, read 164,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Excellent suggestion. It's $65.00 to fly from Kona to Maui. There's no reason why you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Sixty-five dollars!? When? I don't think that's been true for a while but I hope I'm wrong. Go to another island! I love the Big Island but the all have so much to offer. i vote Kauai, but then again, I always vote Kauai.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:17 AM

95 posts, read 120,878 times
What is so incredible about all of the Hawaiian islands, is how incredibly different each of them are.

Oahu - My personal least favorite island. But this is because not much is unspoiled. But if you like shopping, seeing Pearl Harbor, checking out the Pipeline, so on. There is a TON to do on Oahu outside of Waikiki. Some beautiful beaches when you get outside of the big city lights. But be prepared for pretty bad traffic.

Maui - Beaches, Beaches, and Beaches.. and the beaches are easy to get to, and you can often find beaches that are not over crowed, like you find in Waikiki on Oahu. The road to Hana is an experience, hiking to I'oa Needle in I'oa Valley. Hanging out in Lahaina (Halloween is the best), or the beachy town of Kihei. There is a lot to do on Maui. It is the less touristy version of Oahu. Plenty of activities. Take a snorkel cruise out to Molokini on a mild day. Check out Paia and Haiku, or Big beach.

Kauai - Unspoiled beauty on the Garden Isle! Hanalei Bay, gardens of Po'ipu, Maha'ulepu hike, Na Pali Coast, or Hanakapi'ai Falls. Simply stated.. Kauai is beautiful and friendly.

Last, but surely not least...

Molokai - Ride a mule down the highest sea cliffs in the world to Kalaupapa Historical Park, see centuries old Hawaii Heiau, Mooula Falls, Halawa Valley, Papohaku beach park, or maybe getting some of the best bread EVER at Kanemitsu's Bakery. I think Molokai is the most surprising and unexpected island.

All that being said... Big Island is my favorite for its diversity! There is just something extra special about BI.. as you already know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post

Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM

17,234 posts, read 17,686,590 times
most people who ask why do you keep going back there again and again, have never been. my sister used to ask the same questions about maui until she came for a visit.

yes do go to at least maui and kauai

Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 AM

11,033 posts, read 22,582,638 times
Well, each island is different. Once you find yourself taking the Big Island for granted, try a different one and then perhaps you'll find a renewed joy in Hawaii island. Every time we visit the mainland we really appreciate coming home again.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 PM

83 posts, read 116,457 times
I highly recommend Molokai for a couple of days.
But yes the Big Island has it all (well that's only my opinion).
I've been to all the islands and I've been to only 2 more than once that's Kauai and the Big Island.
I love the big island the most. I've been here 5 times and will be there for good soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island