Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM

17 posts, read 130,651 times

Advertisements

Aloha Big Island 'aina,

My partner and I have purchased our tix, made all arrangements for our 2 chihuahuas, and will be moving to BI on April 12. Relaxing for a week in Kapoho, then looking for a short term rental (starting April 19, for a month) in Waimea, Kohala area while interviewing at resorts and looking for longer term accommodations.

A few questions for those of you that live, work in the South & North Kohala, Waikoloa Village, Waimea, Honoka'a areas. Any ideas or useful comments would be gratefully appreciated:-)

1. Commute times between Waimea & resort area in Waikoloa; Google maps says approx 31 mins? Is this possible during morning hours? How about afternoon & evening commute?

2. I know that I won't really know until I'm on the ground, but...I'm torn between paying higher rent to be closer to work - I'm in hospitality management, (will likely get a job in resorts/higher end restaurants), or paying less rent further away but more $$ in gas (ouch). Any public bus in Waimea, Honoka'a to/from Waikoloa Village area? Any resort employee shuttles, or carpools?

3. For you real estate agents, property managers, homeowners with 'ohanas, et al: I'll be on a tight budget for the first several months while securing work (I have a few interviews set up for April). I'd like to find a small furnished studio/ 1 bdrm that will accept 2 non-smoking sober adults & 2 small crate-trained chihuahuas. Full disclosure, my credit's awful - I was foreclosed on in 2010, as a result, filed Ch 7 a few months later. Have spent 2011 getting back on my feet; my personal and professional references are great, just lousy credit score.

Given the facts & conditions listed above, how difficult will it be to find a rental in the $900-1100/mo range, tax & utilities included? Suggestions? I look daily on CL, VRBO, Airbnb, & West Hawaii Today.

4. Purchasing a car - I'm interested in purchasing a reliable car, clean title, preferably a private owner, max cost with TTL $5000. Nothing pretty, just reliable & well maintained. Any suggestions on trusty dealers, individuals looking to sell?

Mahalo nui loa to all of you - I appreciate your time & good will!

JayBeeNOLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Since the price of gas has gone up (currently somewhere around $4.50 per gallon) and the amount of tourists have gone down, there are a lot less cars driving to and from the resort area so the traffic isn't as bad as it had been.

Until you have employment located, it's hard to really find a proper apartment. You'll want to be as close to work as possible.

There is a public bus, check for "Hele On" bus, they have a website. Some of the bigger resorts have a shuttle to and from Hilo as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Since the price of gas has gone up (currently somewhere around $4.50 per gallon) and the amount of tourists have gone down, there are a lot less cars driving to and from the resort area so the traffic isn't as bad as it had been.

Until you have employment located, it's hard to really find a proper apartment. You'll want to be as close to work as possible.

There is a public bus, check for "Hele On" bus, they have a website. Some of the bigger resorts have a shuttle to and from Hilo as well.
I don't know about those tourist going down - news today was tourism near back to 2007 levels and 2nd highest year ever - they are expecting a banner year in 2012.

Visitor spending in Hawaii reached near-record level in 2011 - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM

It depends on which island. Oahu gets the bulk of the tourists and with the higher cost of inter-island airfare there's not as many over here as on Oahu. Still, maybe the tourists are coming back. Have the hotels started to hire more folks yet?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It depends on which island. Oahu gets the bulk of the tourists and with the higher cost of inter-island airfare there's not as many over here as on Oahu. Still, maybe the tourists are coming back. Have the hotels started to hire more folks yet?
I think they are in Oahu - you've got net new hotels like the Disney property - I'll say this much in Oahu, its getting noticeably more crowded here on all the beaches on the weekend from the North Shore, Windward, and especially Waikiki.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM

17 posts, read 130,651 times
Thanks, Hotcatz! I'll check the Hele On website. Re: the shuttles from resorts...employee shuttles to/from Hilo & to/from Waikoloa resort area?! Really?!

JayBeeNOLA

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 PM

I haven't ridden on the shuttles myself nor do I know very much about them, but folks have mentioned them and I see them go past on the road so they are there, but I don't know which resorts have them or any other details.

Do the math on if it's more expensive to pay more in rent or pay more in gas. Also, count the amount of time it takes to get back and forth. When looking at a map, realize the speed will be an average of about 45 mph at the fastest. Our roads aren't fast. Live as close to work as possible so you won't be spending all your time going to and fro. More time for the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island