Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 20,187 times

Advertisements

ok, so i am jumping ahead.. it hasn't happened yet.. but i am finding it hard to believe it's got THIS far.

we've done the research that we could and have found two houses that would fit perfectly with what we want and even a few backups if we had to reconsider... so, my husband is flying out to BI next week to see in person for himself and if they are what our realtor says they are, we will be putting an offer down.

wow.

we've talked about this for years but always in my head i figured it was a pipe dream. my husband has always believed. he's good like that

and then i go from WOW to "OHMIGOD WHAT IF SOMEONE BUYS THE HOUSE OUT FROM UNDER US?!?!" hehe.. then i remember (again) that's why we looked at several that would work before booking the ticket hah!

my biggest (??) fear is that if we DO get the house we want then i will start doing little things to try and get fired so we have to move right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,838,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post
ok, so i am jumping ahead.. it hasn't happened yet.. but i am finding it hard to believe it's got THIS far.

we've done the research that we could and have found two houses that would fit perfectly with what we want and even a few backups if we had to reconsider... so, my husband is flying out to BI next week to see in person for himself and if they are what our realtor says they are, we will be putting an offer down.

wow.

we've talked about this for years but always in my head i figured it was a pipe dream. my husband has always believed. he's good like that

and then i go from WOW to "OHMIGOD WHAT IF SOMEONE BUYS THE HOUSE OUT FROM UNDER US?!?!" hehe.. then i remember (again) that's why we looked at several that would work before booking the ticket hah!

my biggest (??) fear is that if we DO get the house we want then i will start doing little things to try and get fired so we have to move right now
Too Cute!!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM

97 posts, read 280,050 times
Oh, very exciting. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM

270 posts, read 507,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post

wow.

Wonderful !! With your personality, all will be just fine !!
Kudos and great success !!

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 20,187 times
SOooo.. anybody who knows me knows my HUSBAND is the grown-up in the relationship haha!!

i'm actually not THAT bad, but i am unable to stop kicking furniture after finding out that someone HAS come in and not only bid but already has a contract on one of the two houses we loved best. and there's an offer on the other but they know my hubby is flying out and have graciously said they would hold the offer until he gets there Friday.

i KNOWWWWW i said i was pacifying myself with reassurances that (1) it's not like we'd be moving there in the next month anyway and (2) there's other houses and even condos that he can still look at so the trip is not a "waste" and (3) i do believe in karma and if karma doesnt want us in such a remote part of the island, maybe there's a reason...

i know that's what i said .. but..

hehe.. i hate finding something so perfect in every way that we've looked at it only to have it slip out from under me.

i want what i want when i want it which was 3 days ago

ARGH!!!! ok.. i feel a little better getting all of that out. i'm not freaking out and there is a grown-up in me somewhere... sigh.. now i have to break the news to my husband who comes home from 2 weeks offshore tonite with plans of flying out thursday to see our "dream home" on friday what great news to share with him on valentine's day

(and yes i was ready to start packing regardless of what the grownup in me said about not moving next month )

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,396,571 times
The best way to cope is to plan ahead. Do you have a mover estimate in hand already? Car plans? Note that your auto loan may require you to pay off your vehicle before you ship it; shipping carriers require either proof of ownership or permission from the lender to move it to Hawaii. Do you have the pets (if any) up on their shots, paperwork sent to Hawaii and ready to move? Are you already more or less packed? Have you rid yourself, or made the plans to rid yourself of the unnecessary clothing and belongings? Furniture in particular is a bad "bring" item; generally they are poor fits for the new climate and/or the style of house.

You'll find the right house. In three years of prep, I saw several "perfect" homes sell, and in retrospect, the home in which I live was the best fit.

Also, look at lining up a short term rental before you close on your house. If your house has renters, and a lot of them do, they need notice to move. Having a backup place will be a lot of peace of mind.

Last, make a checklist and keep checking it.

Good luck. It's worth it.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
If you are going to move to Hawaii, it is usually a good idea to move over and rent a place for the first six months or so. You'll have that amount of time to find employment and to find the spot you want to live, hopefully somewhat near where the employment may be. Frequently, folks move over from the mainland and buy something before they really know what they want or even what is available and they end up somewhere they when they would really prefer to be somewhere else.

A lot of stuff people think they want isn't really what they want, either. They move over here thinking they want "remote" and "rural" and "acreage", etc. etc. Then, when they get what they thought they wanted, the reality of the eighty mile round trip to get supplies or the lack of social functions or the amount of mowing or maintenance required for what they thought they wanted sours their new home.

So, move over to the islands. Find employment or how ever your income is going to appear and then look for the right spot to live which will complement all of the above instead of making your new life more difficult. At least, IMHO, YMMV.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM

431 posts, read 942,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
if you are going to move to hawaii, it is usually a good idea to move over and rent a place for the first six months or so. You'll have that amount of time to find employment and to find the spot you want to live, hopefully somewhat near where the employment may be. Frequently, folks move over from the mainland and buy something before they really know what they want or even what is available and they end up somewhere they when they would really prefer to be somewhere else.

A lot of stuff people think they want isn't really what they want, either. They move over here thinking they want "remote" and "rural" and "acreage", etc. Etc. Then, when they get what they thought they wanted, the reality of the eighty mile round trip to get supplies or the lack of social functions or the amount of mowing or maintenance required for what they thought they wanted sours their new home.

So, move over to the islands. Find employment or how ever your income is going to appear and then look for the right spot to live which will complement all of the above instead of making your new life more difficult. At least, imho, ymmv.
I totally agree. Too many variables that won't become apparent until you live here for a while. Six months goes by quickly but it's enough time to get a handle on the particulars of an area and to decide what would be the best fit for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,427,939 times
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island