Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM

502 posts, read 985,574 times

Advertisements

Haoles need to understand that to get along with the locals, it is best to befriend one or two in the beginning; show them you mean no harm and respect their ways. Hang out with them, time permitting, and in short order you will find that it is not too hard to become 'cumma 'aina. Just treat people a little better than the way you want to be treated... give it time..... P A T I E N C E goes a long way here - especially on Big Island Hawaii .

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Puna Hawaii, The Whole Awesome Experience

Has anyone observed how bigger than life "working" people are compared to working people on the mainland? I see an amazing fiber of persons who seem to extract more life out of merely surviving. They jump in the ocean to catch their meals, surf the waves, know where to find bananas in the jungle, catch'um wild hogs with a rifle, raise vegetables and fruit trees, tend to semi feral chickens .... and overall have a super appreciation for The 'Aina - much different from "Mainlanders."

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Default More food from the ocean the hard way

Catching for a crowd, circumventing the grocery store when possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Puna Life Big Island Hawaii  HAWAIIAN STYL' IN-good-fresh-lobster.jpg   Puna Life Big Island Hawaii  HAWAIIAN STYL' IN-tough-buggars.jpg  

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Default So GRATEFUL I am NOT - stuck in Hawaii

I am very happy to be here. But if I was in financial trouble and had a bleek outlook on finding good employment, I recommend joining a branch of the Military that fits your temperment. I did when I was a young buck and was going no where fast. I was able to get into a branch of the military and chose a career field I liked. Worked my arse off nights and weekends and finished 2 college science degrees - pretty much on the military's dime. Again, let me say that the military was Fantastic for me. I was very blessed in that decision. But as Elmer would say: " Choose veeeeeerrreeee carrrrr foooooooolllllly."

Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Wanted to add this picture to the above

I wanted to save this photo to the above caption.
Attached Thumbnails
Puna Life Big Island Hawaii  HAWAIIAN STYL' IN-colllege-life.jpg  

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 15,295 times
I miss the BI, don't miss all the lazy cosmic women though

Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Man, that is one hot topic, enuf to get me in boo koo trouble..... but I will say: "Witness Protection Program - magnet - (HI)." Do you understand ? If not I will not explain.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Living in Hawaii and High Blood Pressure

My M.D. says my blood pressure is too high. He wants to put me on Medicine and I am one who does not take medicine. I read on the NET that Salt is hard on Blood Pressure. Gee, our prepared foods are heavy laden with Salt. Even peanut butter is loaded with it. What's up with that ? You can all ways add salt to a product but cannot remove it without very technical chemistry which would damage the product by introducing more chemicals. Like CaBr which would combine with the Sodium molecule but poison the food with excess Bromine.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Has anyone observed how bigger than life "working" people are compared to working people on the mainland? I see an amazing fiber of persons who seem to extract more life out of merely surviving. They jump in the ocean to catch their meals, surf the waves, know where to find bananas in the jungle, catch'um wild hogs with a rifle, raise vegetables and fruit trees, tend to semi feral chickens .... and overall have a super appreciation for The 'Aina - much different from "Mainlanders."
That sounds very interested. Sounds pretty cool.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
They are not "extracting more life out of merely surviving", they ARE surviving. How else can they feed themselves and their ohana than with wild pig (and they frequently use knives instead of rifles since it is a local sport as well as survival tactic) and raising their own food? They don't have the money to go to the grocery store. There is also a lot of trading and gifting of food among the ohana which isn't usually available to mainland transplants. Most of those "bananas in the jungle" and "feral chickens" actually belong to someone, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island