U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM

22 posts, read 64,050 times

Advertisements

For those of us out here on the mainland that want to one day make the dream fulfilling move to Hawaii we need some insight as to what the locals need. I have seen on another thread the idea of auto spa type business. What else do you need? I have always felt that if you give superior service that the business will come. I have operated an antiques business here, didn't know if there was a need on the Islands. What about Handyman Service or the Rent A Husband Service to do all those little chores around the house that never seem to get done. Give us some ideas. Aloha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,127,322 times
Another business that I think would do well here is an education supply store. As far as I know, there is not one--teachers shop at Office Max. There would probably have to be an arrangement to take purchase orders from the state. But there is a similiar business on Oahu (called Education Station) and it does well.

We could also use a few nice options for entertainment, such as a jazz club or martini bar. The last two nicer restaurants to try to make a go of it had really bad business plans and lack of experienced management. The over-21 crowd looking for a relaxed evening out has very few choices. My advice to anyone considering it: stay small, at least at first, check your zoning carefully and work with neighbors, hire experienced security if you have late night hours, and hire trained bartenders who have worked in a variety of settings.

In regard to handyman services...there are many people offering such services (if you check the classifieds and see "under $1,000" included in the ad, you basically know it is an unlicensed handyman who will not pull permits for you). But as other posters have pointed out, those with good work ethics and reliabilty can still come and do well.

One of the things I miss from Oahu/mainland is a really nice health club facility. Modern and with flexible weekend hours. Updated sauna, classes and equipment. And a pool. We heard several months ago that 24-Hr Fitness was considering a location at Prince Kuhio Mall, but I've seen no concrete evidence of it.

We have do several antique shops in downtown. I would recommend coming to shop your competition. Different shops focus on different specialty areas.

This is a start...look forward to hearing what others think!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 PM

144 posts, read 715,615 times
Hilo could really use a Bed, Bath and Beyond. And plumbers. If you're a plumber and don't mind doing household repairs you'll be raking it in.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
Hilo could really use a Bed, Bath and Beyond. And plumbers. If you're a plumber and don't mind doing household repairs you'll be raking it in.

Are you somehow reading my mind?? I was just saying that we need a Bed, Bath and Beyond yesterday. I'm shopping for bedding and matching widow treatments and would love the ease of a one-stop shopping location. Maybe put it beside the Home Depot! More practical than the Panda Express going in on the corner, IMO.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 AM

59 posts, read 303,643 times
Wow. Where do I begin.

The auto spa is great. There is , 1 ? car wash in Hilo, at the gas station in front of Walmart ? This was amazing to us.
Chain, sit down restaurants are not here ( except IHOP ). The only store for any type of household items ( like Bed Bath and Beyond ) is Walmart.
This is a hugely underserved area, in regards to what many "transplants" are accustomed to.
I assume your more interested in a family type business, not a franchise of some sort ?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Car wash woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Wow. Where do I begin.

The auto spa is great. There is , 1 ? car wash in Hilo, at the gas station in front of Walmart ? This was amazing to us.
There is another drive through-car wash behind a gas station on Kilauea, on your left just after you go through the intersection past Hilo Shopping Center (as you head toward town.) I tried stopping there today, but the whole thing had been pulled apart and was sitting in pieces behind the car wash....hopefully they are upgrading.

I had called the place Jonah K recommended, but had a chaotic day in the office and couldn't get over there to drop off my car. They were very nice on the phone, though.

So, in the end (I am showing an oceanfront HPP house tomorrow and would like to make a decent impression!), I bumped into my neighbor at KTA while buying groceries and her son agreed to wash my Jeep before dark so I could make dinner and get some work done before calling it a day! Sometimes life in a small town has its benefits!!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Hilo could also use a Whole Foods. And I wish the Costco was in Hilo.

Hilo could also use a great hospital....hey, I can dream, can't I?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM

126 posts, read 671,776 times
There's only one pet store and it's so crappy and the help sucks. I know one opened up near Pahoa. It seems like there would be a great market for a nice pet store. If I had the money.....

Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM

22 posts, read 64,050 times
Thank you to all of you for the wonderful insight, I have visited Oahu on occasion but have never been to the big island. From what I have read it seems to fit my personality better than the hustle and bustle of Oahu. I am from the rural state of Alabama, currently working as a purchasing manager but have always enjoyed different business' that I have had. Keep throwing those ideas out, if I can not make it happen maybe it will be of help to someone else. Aloha

Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Hilo could use a great French restaurant. Something to replace what Kaikodo should have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island