U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 10:57 PM

18 posts, read 68,210 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was meeting with a local Log Cabin Dealer on the mainland today, and they said that they could ship the "kit" to Hawaii and have local contractors build a Log Cabin for me in less than a month.
Has anyone ever done this before?
What was your experience?
Termites? (the log cabin company of course assured me Termites would not be an issue! )
Any way - I would love some input on this!
Mahalo!
-Kai
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,550,434 times
There are a few log cabins on the BI, but it is not a common style here. Depending on where you plan to place it, I'd say you could run somewhere between OK and Big Mistake. But no better than OK.

I mean, seriously, it's a style that evolved in cool climates and heavy forests and the need to be able to hunker down and stay warm. The styles that evolved here, and that look normal here, evolved around a warm, humid climate and the need to have lots of openness and air and ventilation.

It's also got to be expensive to ship all those logs down here. Why not get a house kit locally, and have it assembled here... for probably less money?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 AM

11,764 posts, read 15,824,436 times
When you ship your log cabin to Kona, we'll all know where to find your 100K in jewelry.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 AM

12,971 posts, read 26,550,434 times
Besides being appropriately designed for the climate and having an architecturally compatible feel, island-made kit homes have a huge advantage over kit homes from the mainland... if a part is missing or defective, it can be replaced almost immediately, rather than holding up construction for weeks while a replacement can be shipped in.

There are a number of companies in the business, but two of the leaders are HPM and Honsador.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM

3,752 posts, read 10,877,828 times
There might be a contractor in Waimea that has experience with building log homes, but to put one around Kona? It really wouldn't fit in?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM

5,454 posts, read 11,546,386 times
I would ask the Log Cabin dealer to provide you with the name of the local contractor he said could build it. Then I'd call and talk with them. Find out how much experience they really have, especially with this particular kit.

Building on the BI is different than on the mainland. Everything takes much much longer. The Log Cabin dealer probably only has experience building on the mainland where it may take only a month to assemble, but that won't happen here. Don't forget to tack on extra time for electrical, plumbing, etc.

I agree with the other posters. If you are looking at kits to save time, then buy local.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,256,995 times
Make sure they have an ironclad guarantee against termites. A log cabin was listed for sale in my neighborhood a couple of years back that was about 20 years old, with SEVERE damage of the first 2-3 logs above the foundation all around the house. How could you possibly fix that?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,043,916 times
Wood and Hawaii do not go well together. The termites are ravenous. Even buying an old piece of furniture and bringing it into your home could create havoc if the piece turns out to be full of active termites. If I were building a home in Hawaii I'd probably go w/ cinder block bricks, unless you were out in the upslope areas, where that type of construction can get clammy when it rains for weeks. Many of the condos and apartments we lived in over there were made from that, and maintenance was very low.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM

10,992 posts, read 22,157,334 times
There might be a few areas on the island where a log cabin might not look out of place. Wet side of Waimea, Volcano, maybe Waikii. How about a timber frame house if you want a rustic look?

The "build it in one month" is extremely optimistic. Not that I'd call the guy a liar, but he's got a lot of reasons to tell you things you want to hear. If it's not done in a month and you've already started, he just goes, "Oh, oops, sorry" and still gets his commission from the sale.

Building a log house is a sheer PITA. Each log has to be drilled for the wiring and plumbing if you are going to have those hidden in the walls.

Hey, how about a Haiku house? Haiku Houses It's kinda like a tropical log house. They've even built a few of them around here so you can go see the houses before starting.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,569,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Wood and Hawaii do not go well together. The termites are ravenous. Even buying an old piece of furniture and bringing it into your home could create havoc if the piece turns out to be full of active termites. If I were building a home in Hawaii I'd probably go w/ cinder block bricks, unless you were out in the upslope areas, where that type of construction can get clammy when it rains for weeks. Many of the condos and apartments we lived in over there were made from that, and maintenance was very low.
The worst ground termite infested house I ever had to deal with was a cinder block tile house. The ground termites just made paths inside the blocks up to the attic rafters. Stopping to eating the cabinets as they passed by.

Smarino's warning about furniture is very valid. The buyer of used furniture really needs to carefully inspect before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island