Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,050,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OpenD, I sure wish I could give you more rep points!
Me too, I sure tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM

41 posts, read 60,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Originally Posted by OpenD
Source? The Federal Government sets the eligibility requirements, and the program is not based on ethnic heritage or where you're from.

yes the federal government does, and we all knw there is no corruption in Hawaii right? hence the box statement.

Tossing an insult does not cover the fact that you have presented no evidence at all to support your assertion.

Here is factual information about eligibility requirements to participate in the program in Hawai'i. A mainlander and a native Hawaiian with identical qualifications would be treated identically. To do otherwise would be a federal crime.
Department of Human Services Nutrition Program Facts -- SNAP — Department of Human Services

Thanks, that clears up where your misunderstanding came from. That's just a ranking of the total number of welfare recipients by state, and since the population of Hawai'i is so small, the number of recipients is naturally small too. When you compare RATE of welfare cases, however, you get a different picture... Hawai'i is neither at the high nor low end compared to other states, but is actually about in the middle, as I stated previously.

you are speaking per capita, I said rankings (by state) which I provided. now the ball is in your court. source?

Facts don't offend me, but misstating facts does.
Facts don't offend me, but being deliberately insulting does.
Facts don't offend me, but hijacking a thread to drive an agenda does.
Facts don't offend me, but trollish behavior from brand new posters does.

As I said elsewhere, I suggest you wag more, bark less.
I don't bark or wag I am not a dog, thank you.

edit* just found some interesting stats: http://www.ipl.org/div/stateknow/popchart.html

Last edited by marcuskona; 04-02-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Originally Posted by OpenD
Source? The Federal Government sets the eligibility requirements, and the program is not based on ethnic heritage or where you're from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuskona View Post
yes the federal government does, and we all knw there is no corruption in Hawaii right? hence the box statement.
Again, your lack of supporting evidence for your claim just underlines the emptiness of your assertion that "it's easy to get food stamps in Hawaii if your a mainlander and that's not a joke." Repeating a fictitious statement 3 times doesn't make it any more true than it was the first time.

Quote:
you are speaking per capita, I said rankings (by state) which I provided. now the ball is in your court. source?
You said "also FYI Hawaii is ranked 41 of 50 for welfare states; most people here work," but the first statement neither proves the second statement nor your case. (Not to mention that many people receiving Food Stamp Benefits are actually "working poor.") Raw numbers are meaningless in this kind of discussion, because they will always show the smallest states having the smallest number of participants. In comparing states of different sizes and populations, meaningful comparisons are in per capita rates, or percentages.

Here are just a few of many references I have found for the RATE of Food Stamp use in Hawai'i vs the rest of the country.

First, perhaps easiest to understand, an interactive map dated February 2011, color coded by category of usage. Notice that Hawai'i is in the second lowest category. Hover over individual states to pop up their stats... notice that dark colored glob in the middle. That's Louisiana at 18%, Mississippi at 20.6%, Tennessee at 19.9%, Alabama at 18%, etc. and then compare those to Hawai'i at 11.6% of the population using food stamps. Food Stamp Use, by State

Only a couple of months older, this Wall Street Journal article and chart from November 2010 shows, if you sort by Percent of Population on Food Stamps, and then rank, Hawai'i shows at #14 from the bottom, and at 11.2%, well below the national average of 13.6%.
In U.S., 14% Rely on Food Stamps - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Still, that's higher than than it's been in the past, double what it was in 2006. This Star Advertiser article from November 2011 suggest several reasons for that, including the lingering effects of the recession. Despite having the highest allowable income cap in the country, because of the high cost of living in the state, many eligible Hawaiians were simply not taking advantage of the benefits available to them. So the State Department of Human Services conducted an outreach program that increased participation to 12.1%.
Isle food stamp use rises - Hawaii Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Quote:
I don't bark or wag I am not a dog, thank you.
No, but I'm quite certain you know what I mean. Be nice. Treat others here with aloha. Stick to the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island