Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM

406 posts, read 865,917 times

Advertisements

Just ran across this today. Aloha Music Camp - Home might be a good place to:

Quote:
Come join the fun and be inspired by the beautiful Kona Sunsets. Learn to play slack key, the ʻukulele or the steel guitar. Dance hula, make a lei, sing a Hawaiian song, or build a beautiful Hawaiian instrument. Or just listen to some great music and wonderful stories, all interwoven with the magic of aloha.
Wish I could be there..........maybe next year.

Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
Nice find!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Just ran across this today. Aloha Music Camp - Home
Thanks,

The Beamer family, besides being legends of Hawaiian music, are really great people. I could recommend the camp on the basis of their involvement alone... but with Jeff Peterson, OMG! He is one of the most amazing guitarists around, in ANY genre. Son of a Paniolo on Maui, he not only has mastered traditional slack-key stylings, but he is really pushing the envelope, expanding slack key into new musical realms and amazing fusions. And he's an open, warm, funny guy and a generous and patient teacher.

Definitely a premier learning experience.

And it reminds me, for anyone interested in slack key guitar or ukulele, this is the go-to community resource, with performance and event schedules, musical gear, etc.: Taropatch.net: Slack Key Guitar Online

Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM

As soon as I saw Jeff's pic on there, I put it on the 2013 To Do list.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
As soon as I saw Jeff's pic on there, I put it on the 2013 To Do list.
Yeah, he's fantastic, a certifiable genius. I found his live performance to be as electrifying as the times I was in the audience for Andres Segovia, Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, Les Paul, Buddy Guy, Bo Diddly, Richard Thompson, Keef Richards, or even Younameit. Seriously.

I had the privilege to spend a little time with Jeff after a concert at KMC Theater in Volcanoes Park a year or so ago, and he's completely open, approachable, giving. he has a website at Jeff Peterson » Official Website of Slack Key Guitar Player – Jeff Peterson

One of his stories that I found most charming... after learning slack-key as a teenager, just hanging around with his dad's musical friends, Jeff headed off to study classical guitar and jazz at USC. On his return (I hope I get this right) he was contacted by slack key legend Uncle Ray Kane, who wanted to pass his music along to someone younger before he died. Uncle Ray basically told Jeff he had heard about him, and Jeff needed to get himself over to be with Uncle Ray as soon as possible.

When he arrived, Ray asked Jeff to play a little for him. Jeff played, and after he had finished Ray asked to see his guitar, a nice one. Jeff handed it to Ray, expecting a compliment, but Ray played only a few notes on it, got up and walked over to the fireplace and smashed it to bits. He then walked into another room, and came back with a cheap guitar with poor action and handed it to the crestfallen Jeff, saying "This is your guitar now. Come back tomorrow."

That began a period of intense study with Uncle Ray, long hard sessions and incessant practice, and after a long time, in failing health but happy that Jeff had captured so well what Ray wanted to have remembered, Ray concluded their time together by giving Jeff a fine Alvarez guitar, with a special pickup he felt enhanced the slack key sound.

Sadly, after Uncle Ray had passed, Jeff's treasured Alvarez was stolen and never recovered. So he searched all over for a replacement, though the specific model and pickup had long been discontinued, and finally found the exact same guitar, which he still plays in performance today... despite having worn a hole in the top with his fingernails!!

Just one of those fascinating little details about a really great artist...

Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
We are fortunate to have Keoki Kahumoku's music camp in Pahala (very near where we live in Naalehu). Every year they have a free day of various groups and individuals playing slack key, ukulele, etc. It is wonderful -- John Keawe, Jeff Peterson, James Hill, Brittni Paiva, Konabob Stouffer (walkingstick bass), Keoki(of course), and my new favorite - Jeff Peterson. We are so lucky that these fine musicians give of their experience to upcoming musicians, and are willing to freely share with the local community. Check out Kahumoku Ohana Hawaiian Music and Lifestyles workshop.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We are fortunate to have Keoki Kahumoku's music camp in Pahala
Before I knew who he was, I came across Keoki playing in the back of a pickup truck at a yurtbuilders conference down past Pahoa. I stopped and listened for a while, went in to hear a speaker, came out, listened some more, talked story, bought some CDs. Cool guy. Plays mean blues, too.

John Keawe I've enjoyed many times. I'll have to get down your way next time.

Been to the great Uke Fest in Waimea, too. They have a great theater there, a gift to the community from one of the former managers of Parker Ranch.

Lots of place to indulge in good live music on the Big Island.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM

Great topic and wow, I can't wait to hear local music live, everything described in this thread is luscious...we're suffering along with the artists on YouTube now (which doesn't load well on our 3rd World Country Intertube connection ) and I can't imagine how awesome they will be LIVE. This is going to be a very important part of our life there. Thanks for whetting my appetite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island