Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times

Advertisements

My sweetie keeps wondering about this so I decided to ask. He used to ride motorcycles on our present island, but it's way too treacherous as they don't keep the potholes patched. He probably hasn't ridden in a decade. He's wondering if people ride a lot on B.I.? At first, he thought it would be ideal but then with all of the rain...maybe not?

He's not into the "biker lifestyle", motorcycle clubs and such, he just likes the wind in his hair and since we're selling instead of shipping my convertible when we move, he keeps bringing up the subject.

Thanks y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
How about renting a motorcycle every once in a while..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM

I didn't ask about buying one, I asked about the riding conditions. I apologize if that wasn't obvious. How often do you ride? What parts of B.I. do you like for riding?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
My sweetie keeps wondering about this so I decided to ask. He used to ride motorcycles on our present island, but it's way too treacherous as they don't keep the potholes patched. He probably hasn't ridden in a decade. He's wondering if people ride a lot on B.I.? At first, he thought it would be ideal but then with all of the rain...maybe not?

He's not into the "biker lifestyle", motorcycle clubs and such, he just likes the wind in his hair and since we're selling instead of shipping my convertible when we move, he keeps bringing up the subject.

Thanks y'all.
I see alot of people ride motorcycles on the BI - but, the Big Island is diverse with a dry side and a wet side (where that wet side is wet all year round). If you are going to ride in Hilo - you'll get wet and will have to decide if that is ok. On the Kona side of the island rain isn't that much of a consideration for most of the year.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Thanks Viper, we will be renting a condo in Kona quite frequently when we head over to dive! I'm sorta askeered of motorcycles (too many dead friends), but he drives his truck like a little old lady so I don't think he'd ride a bike like a maniac.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Yeah, rent one on the Kona side. Dry pavement is a plus.

Hilo side it rains 3 days out of 4, at least a little. That means pavements are wet a lot of the time. There are people who ride motorcycles, yes, but my impression is there are not nearly as many as you'll see in most mainland cities. Also roads are bad, with lots of cracks and potholes and crumbly edges, and speed limits are 55, 45, sometimes even 35 out on the "open road."

But, given the cost of gas and the cost of cars and other factors, 50 cc "mopeds" are surprisingly popular. The mostly don't go over 35 mph, and they obviously are open to the weather, but because you don't need a motorcycle license to ride one and they're cheap, so you see them buzzing around all over the island.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
roads are bad, with lots of cracks and potholes and crumbly edges,
Hey are you sure you aren't my current neighbor? LOL This is why we don't ride on our current island.

Sounds like Kona side is the place to ride.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
I didn't ask about buying one, I asked about the riding conditions. I apologize if that wasn't obvious. How often do you ride? What parts of B.I. do you like for riding?
Sorry. i thought from your original post your hubby wanted to get back into biking on another island, never been to the BI but for a bike the road conditions would be of secondary importance to the driving characteristics of the local population, a pot hole you can drive around,some idiot who doesnt see you and turns in front of you is much more dangerous.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Twice a year the motorcycle folks on the other islands ship their bikes over here to thunder around on for the weekend. During the day it's good to ride, but at night it's really dark and there's falling rocks and feral pigs that are about the same color as the road. The distances are kinda long between towns. It would be good to have one to ride around Kailua with, if you were on the Kona side. Riding between Kailua and Hilo would be a long ride and usually folks want to carry a bunch of stuff when they go from one place to another. Can't carry all that many groceries on a bike. Still, it's fun to ride them but they are much more dangerous than a car.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
Debby, check out some of these videos and news articles.
Big Island Video News*|*Search Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island