Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 11,690 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
My husband and i are planning our first trip to Hawaii. And i looks like we are going to go to the Big Island.We were wondering if anyone could please help us with thing we must do.We aren't going until April 2014. we do have a while but i love to plan ahead.
thank you for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRome View Post
We were wondering if anyone could please help us with thing we must do.
Congratulations on your selection. The Big Island offers more different "tastes" of Hawai'i than any other island. And it can be a lot less expensive than the others, if you take your time and plan right.

My first "Must Do" for you is to read up on the Island of Hawai'i. There are a number of very good guide books on the subject, and most public libraries have a selection. Or browse through the travel section at a Barnes and Noble book store for one, or online at Amazon. Then select one to buy, one that you can make notes in and bring with you for reference. Personally I've always liked the Lonely Planet series for its down-to-earth perspective, while Fodor's and Frommer's guides are a bit more genteel. "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" has its fans with adventurous folks. Take a look at all, then pick one that seems the best match for your personality. Then read it!

My second "Must Do" for you is to define what kind of things you like to do, and what kind of experience you want to have. Some people look for a lot of action on their vacation, some want rest and relaxation, some want an "authentic taste" of an unfamiliar culture, while others want a more manicured experience. Until you define what you like and what you want and what your tastes are, you'll just get random responses here, with people telling you what they like, which could be all wrong for you.

Aloha!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,064,310 times
Solid advice. All good books. I bought the entire bunch of them very inexpensively on alibris.com.

Without knowing what things YOU like to do, it's difficult to offer advice.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM

682 posts, read 2,800,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRome View Post
Hello Everyone,
My husband and i are planning our first trip to Hawaii. And i looks like we are going to go to the Big Island.We were wondering if anyone could please help us with thing we must do.We aren't going until April 2014. we do have a while but i love to plan ahead.
thank you for any help
As others have said, it would be good to know your likes & dislikes before offering advice. You also don't say how long you're planning to be there... Two things I would definite suggest:

(1) Stay as long as you can (10 days? 2 weeks?)

(2) If you'll be more than a few days, plan to stay a couple different places on the island... it's easier to do activities in a certain area if you don't have to drive 100 miles to do it. The Big Island's first name is "Big," you know.

I get to the Big Island a couple times a year now, but my first visit was from the East Coast before I ever had an inkling that I'd be living here. I stayed two weeks, with some time in Kona, some time in Volcano, and some time in Hilo. On later trips, I've stayed in Waimea and Kohala as well. Here are the things that have deserved repeat visits in my opinion:

Dolphin Journeys (Swim with dolphins, whale watching – Kailua-Kona Hawaii). Best thing ever to me. (Other outfits do similar excursions, but I keep going back to Captain Nancy.)

Hiking in Volcano. (Lots of options... Kilauea Iki trail is pretty easy and has just remarkable landscape.)

Snorkeling (Hilo side: the Kapoho tidepools. Kona side: kayak across Kealakaua Bay & snorkel at the monument, and go to Two-Step near Place of Refuge).

Hike to / swim in waterfalls. There are nice ones on the Hilo side, and you can read about them in any guide book.

Go up to the summit of Mauna Kea, or at least to the visitor's center for some stargazing.

Dinner at Merriman's in Waimea.

There are lots of other things that I really enjoy, but they're not the ones that I make a serious effort to do again whenever I can...

Helicopter tour (it was great on my first trip, but I haven't done it again).

Get a massage at one of the resorts in Kohala.

Black sand beach.

Green sand beach (really stunning, but it's a loooong hike out there, so I've never been back).

Hanging out at the white sand beaches in Kohala (I would probably do this more if I didn't have equally nice beaches at home).

Waipio Valley (again, it was an amazing visit, but we walked down and the walk back up is not something I've been dying to revisit).

Palolo Valley (easier to hike down & back than Waipio, very beautiful, but didn't bear a repeat visit... at least not yet).

South Point (worth a visit if you're driving by and don't mind a 12 mile sidetrack in each direction, but there's not much to see or do there).

Have fun!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,064,310 times
Nice list, Prof, I'm saving it for after our arrival.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 PM

181 posts, read 588,015 times
Take the trip to the summit of Mauna Kea to see the sunset, but don't pay $200. per person. This is what the commercial tour companies charge.

Instead rent a 4 X 4 truck from Harpers truck rental and drive yourself. Its NOT an easy drive, but its not that bad either. DO NOT try it in a non 4 X 4 truck or car! Bring warm clothes, but remember you've got a heater in that truck and you can park it on the summit where you can watch the sunset. This is not really an option if you go with a tour group.

If you're a hiker, Waimanu Valley (not just Waipio) is a must. Its a 15 mile difficult trek from the top of the Waipio Lookout, but well worth it. You'll need a camping permit (free and easy to get if you apply in advance).

Muliwai Trail Waimanu Valley - Backpacking trip | EveryTrail

Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 11,690 times
We are planing 8 days 7 nights. I do have a timeshare and i really liking The Kona Coast Resort. i know i would like to go on a Helicopter tour, luau, i did see a tubing place that looked nice but not sure how far everything is from the resort.i also would love to see waterfalls. i was wondering if you all think it would be a good idea to rent a jeep. i wanted something to be able to take the top off and see all the beautiful things.

thank you so much for all the info everyone has giving me.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM

312 posts, read 1,378,073 times
The Big Island could offer you an adventerious, rugged experience or a lavish, relaxing time. There's something to do for everyone, whether you don't want to see the beach at all or want to spend as much time as you can in the water. I agree that the first thing you should do is get The Big Island Revealed book-you won't even need maps beyond what you will have in the book. Read all the way through it, front cover to back cover. Don't worry, it's written well and is very funny. You will notice the things you are interested in and the things you feel like you could miss out on. After that, focus on those things and start planning your trip. WHAT exactly to do really depends on the kind of things you are interested in. Personally, I camp every night, hike as far as I can, etc. while that's usually not most people cup of tea or what they are looking for; so for advice that's not willy nilly, think about the type of vacation you are up for! Trust me, whatever it is, it's on the Big Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island