Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Macy's did not say you are "not qualified enough".
Quote:
We have carefully reviewed your application for the position of Macy's Prince Kuhio Plaza, Hilo, HI: Holiday Retail Sales Associate - Temporary. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider your application further for this opportunity.

Yeah, on second reading, this is a key. Sorry I didn't click in on this earlier.

They did not say you were unqualified. And they did not even said you were rejected. They just said you would not be hired for this opening. It's simply a plain vanilla form letter to let you know so you aren't sitting around wondering and waiting to hear from them.

You literally cannot tell anything more from the letter. It could be as simple as they needed to fill 10 jobs and they ranked you number 12 among the applicants.

That said, you can always critique yourself about whether there was something else you could have done differently. And everything is important. How you do one thing is how you are judged to do everything, so yes, spelling and neatness count. And how you present yourself, even if you are just handing an application to someone who puts it on a big stack is important. For a seasonal retail position like this the single most important thing is to appear upbeat and outgoing. You have to seem like someone a customer would approach to ask for assistance. (And to be clear, I'm not saying you are not, I'm just saying that's "what gets you hired." )

One last thought... I'm just one person, so my reaction may not be typical... but if I was the hiring manager this would personally make me question the honesty of your app: you checked that you had 3-5 years experience in direct selling, then you checked 18 departments that you had at least one year's experience selling in. That creates cognitive dissonance for me. Without even thinking about it, just on a 30 second scan of your application and a gut reaction, I would NOT put you in the YES pile. Better you had checked 3 - 5 of your strongest areas of experience, because it would at least seem plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM

55 posts, read 423,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Could be related to issues with spelling and punctuation.
Nope I have no grammar issue at all, again I am fast typist so I skip words here and there without knowing...but when it comes to important work such as creating a resume I pay close attention to details. This is a discussion forum not work more play and fun to me so paying attention to grammar and punctuation isnt important to me.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, on second reading, this is a key. Sorry I didn't click in on this earlier.

They did not say you were unqualified. And they did not even said you were rejected. They just said you would not be hired for this opening. It's simply a plain vanilla form letter to let you know so you aren't sitting around wondering and waiting to hear from them.

You literally cannot tell anything more from the letter. It could be as simple as they needed to fill 10 jobs and they ranked you number 12 among the applicants.

That said, you can always critique yourself about whether there was something else you could have done differently. And everything is important. How you do one thing is how you are judged to do everything, so yes, spelling and neatness count. And how you present yourself, even if you are just handing an application to someone who puts it on a big stack is important. For a seasonal retail position like this the single most important thing is to appear upbeat and outgoing. You have to seem like someone a customer would approach to ask for assistance. (And to be clear, I'm not saying you are not, I'm just saying that's "what gets you hired." )

One last thought... I'm just one person, so my reaction may not be typical... but if I was the hiring manager this would personally make me question the honesty of your app: you checked that you had 3-5 years experience in direct selling, then you checked 18 departments that you had at least one year's experience selling in. That creates cognitive dissonance for me. Without even thinking about it, just on a 30 second scan of your application and a gut reaction, I would NOT put you in the YES pile. Better you had checked 3 - 5 of your strongest areas of experience, because it would at least seem plausible.

Yea I definitely see where you coming with on just checking three items, put this way my friend has no experience selling children clothe and mens clothing at all, so they hired a liar there. Everyone lies on these application.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, my opinion kind of change. Especially since its a seasonal job they probably only needed 10 people to work during the holidays.

I am just curious those my name is an arabic name, but I grew up in Hawaii all my life besides being born in south carolina. Do you think when a hiring manager see's a odd foreign name, they will say to themselves this guy probably doesnt know how to speak english correctly or strong accent where people cant understand what he is saying.

Next retail job I apply for I am going to try apply without my college degree. When I was taking a business management course at UH-Hilo, I learned that most retail businesses would hire someone with a high school degree vs college degree. The reason for this someone with a high school degree will stay longer at position vs someone with a college degree where he might just be working there 1-3 years, then finds a better sustainable job in that time frame. In this case it would cost them more money to look for another worker.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback, my opinion kind of change. Especially since its a seasonal job they probably only needed 10 people to work during the holidays.

I am just curious those my name is an arabic name, but I grew up in Hawaii all my life besides being born in south carolina. Do you think when a hiring manager see's a odd foreign name, they will say to themselves this guy probably doesnt know how to speak english correctly or strong accent where people cant understand what he is saying.
The bolded is more likely the reason or something else besides your name - we are talking about Macy's in Hilo - not Macy's at Ala Moana Center.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
#1 and #2, you should have clicked every box.

United in Hilo only has one employee. (the rest are contract workers). Landing their only job is a big score.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM

24 posts, read 47,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
Next retail job I apply for I am going to try apply without my college degree. When I was taking a business management course at UH-Hilo, I learned that most retail businesses would hire someone with a high school degree vs college degree. The reason for this someone with a high school degree will stay longer at position vs someone with a college degree where he might just be working there 1-3 years, then finds a better sustainable job in that time frame. In this case it would cost them more money to look for another worker.
This is a good point and may very well have been a deciding factor in their decision not to hire you. I wish you luck finding something else

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
#1 and #2, you should have clicked every box.

United in Hilo only has one employee. (the rest are contract workers). Landing their only job is a big score.
I didnt apply for a hilo position.

It is a flight attendant position, so I got interview with them in houston. They are flying me out, but wont be tell january looks like it due to the interviews need there turkey and vacations : ). The key to this I marked that would work any at based airport they want to put me...most people who want to work at a specific location usually dont get the interview cause that one airport could have enough employees

My other job I got accepted to was the police department, but I dont think I am going to take the test. Just from what I heard from a friend of mines who went to a halloween party. He has cop friends and told him not bring his gf cause there is going to be strippers there and all other crap. This is not representing the police department correctly, when they have the right to break the law and you cant get away with such a minor thing, $70 for safey sticker being on the license plate. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
I know for a fact that marijuana is being used and possibly sold at my Macy's store location in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The people using it are mostly managers and supervisors. They run around pretending to be too busy to help with a problem or dispute with a customer! But when its time for Starbucks Coffee , P. F. Chang's or The Cheese Cake Factory, they lock the door to the executive office and pretend they'er in a meeting! Something needs to be done about all the thousands of dollars of shrink/stolen merchandise! It make sense to me now why we continue to ripped off by thieves, Because the manager only watch us (the Macy's employees). I sure hope someone from corporate Macy's reads this and takes appropriate action!!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Dole View Post
I know for a fact that marijuana is being used and possibly sold at my Macy's store location in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Perhaps putting this in the Massachusetts forum would be more appropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: