Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM

502 posts, read 985,035 times

Advertisements

Egg nog is terribly fattening - really puts the weight on. I will bet they are meth addicts. ( they believe in buying locally.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Egg nog is terribly fattening - really puts the weight on.
But it can be oooohhhh so good!

Mickey

Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM

( buying their meth locally )

Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Becare careful out there.... driving at night on curvy, curbless roads.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 AM

13 posts, read 38,641 times
Default One tough road fer sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I just can't understand why you keep reprising this thread -- you are beating a dead horse! When I think of all of the bad accidents that have happened over the years on that stretch of road, it is NOT the tourists! It is locals who drive too fast and/or have had a little libation to cheer them up. The tourists get frightened by the curves and drive slower. The locals who drive that road all the time and think they know it, drive faster. So go preach to them!
Its the stretch from Honaunau to Milolii thats the real buggah. Those curves, some are ok, others real tight, some banked, some not. If you drive that stretch all the time, you start to learn where they all are and can drive accordingly. I've had some tourists tailgatin me on the straighter stretch, then they hit da 25 mph curve at 50 and whoaaa, screeech, they back off my tail so fast!

A tough road fer sure, can't relax at all.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Yes, I dont like tailgaiters either; if they look down at their feet, phone, radio and you have all ready slowed down for the car in front of you, then they may SMASH in your rear. So what I do when dah tailgater is too close..... I keep slowing down till dey get frusted and either go around me, yeah, or dey jump da tree.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Sadly the whole beltway btw Hilo to Kona is such a death trap. One of the worst in the whole USA. It has to do with a number of interconnected causes. The distances of affordable housing (H.O.V.E., Pahala, Milolii, etc) to the places of work (Kona resorts, Hilo) cause drivers to be tired. Especially btw dusk & dawn when working odd shifts. Many curves, monotonous landscape, little traffic, speeding to manage when tired. Add cell phones and iPads with movies and texting. Add to this the lack of speed- and DUI controls by too few officers and the knowledge that you can get away with having drinks/weed/painkillers while driving. The shoulders of the highway are littered with beer cans. Once you lost your license your chances to be caught driving without one only happens when you have an accident.

Keep this in mind and try to be the best, cautious, proactive driver when using it.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM

I have been tailgated on long stretches of road where I am doing the posted limit. When the person behind me starts tailgating, I slow down and try to pull over to the right to let him pass. When they finally pass me they throw the bird or fingah, and I think... "What is that all about " I let them pass and even encouraged them to pass when no one is coming in opposite direction !

Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
That's one thing we've noticed in Hawaii that people don't do on the mainland, mangodog. It's nice when slow drivers pull over to the side of the road to let others pass them. Makes it a lot safer!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM

189 posts, read 282,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I have been tailgated on long stretches of road where I am doing the posted limit. When the person behind me starts tailgating, I slow down and try to pull over to the right to let him pass.
I do the same here brother, but I'm sometimes unsure if they even get that we're trying to accommodate them or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island