Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM

129 posts, read 390,483 times

Advertisements

Wow. It looks like I got out of Orchidland just in time (1993).

In answer to the question, there are so many factors that influence property prices, I don't think it's possible to isolate the cost impact of the coqui. IIRC, prices stayed pretty flat for ten years or so after I sold out, until the real estate bubble came along. I've watched prices on the Big Island for some 30 years or more, and there are definitely fluctuations, spikes, and flat spots. But I can't say I saw any big change happen when the coqui invaded. Prices were low at the time -- Gulf War and recession in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,148,471 times
Won't cats, mongoose and dogs eat them? Or any bird develop a taste for them? Get some kind of balance in place?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Won't cats, mongoose and dogs eat them? Or any bird develop a taste for them? Get some kind of balance in place?
Basically, no.

In their native Puerto Rico they are kept in check by snakes, which we do not have.

This is why they have spread so quickly in Hawai'i... no natural predators!

Big Island botched the eradication they could have achieved fairly easy a dozen years ago. Neighbor islands have so far been successful in their eradication efforts, but it's probably just a matter of time before the coquis are out of control on other islands too.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Do coqui frogs affect real estate prices?
Yes, and knowledgeable realtors often steer potential buyers to the quiet areas. Besides the enjoyment that comes from living in a quiet area, the holding of property values is another reason many communities have organized "volunteer" efforts to keep out coqui frogs.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,014 times
I'm tired of hearing how the gov't botched the frog eradication efforts. They may very well have, for all I know, but it was really the nurseries who introduced the frogs that need to be named and blamed. They were the ones that imported the frogs with their plants, the ones who didn't inspect their plants, the ones who didn't react when the frogs got established on their property. They could've prevented the spread of the frogs by being vigilant and acting fast, but they didn't. Hawaii's ecosystem is fragile and under constant threat, everybody needs to be aware and care for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,942 times
So how long till they spread to the quiet areas? Is it a lost cause?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
So how long till they spread to the quiet areas? Is it a lost cause?
The county professes a commitment to their eradication, but hasn't funded the effort for the last couple of years. Their only participation at the moment is to maintain and loan out the special sprayers used by community organizations.

Mostly their spread now is limited by environmental factors, and the diligence of local volunteers. They need damp underbrush, and warm temperatures.

There are currently only two materials that are approved by the EPA for killing them... ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and agricultural lime. The first is expensive (in sprayer quantities) and the second is extremely messy. Both are difficult to apply.

Dusting with baking soda is effective and cheap, but the experimental permit to try it expired and the researchers didn't renew it.

In short, it's not looking good.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM

113 posts, read 397,599 times
Wonder if a $1.00 a head would reduce their numbers enough, well maybe a dollar is too much I think someone said 10,000 frogs per acre in some areas. So maybe a price per pound to help eradicate them

Money motivates.

I smell a new tv series, HAWAIIAN FROG HUNTERS ha ha...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,604,913 times
I live on one of those 10,000 frogs-per-acre lots. A few years ago my neighbor offered her granddaughter and her little friend 25 cents per frog, after just one night she balked because she said it was costing her a fortune. When my cats were younger they would catch the frogs but would vomit them up almost immediately.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
I smell a new tv series, HAWAIIAN FROG HUNTERS ha ha...
LOL I'd watch it, anything in Hawaii and I'm watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island