Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

For me, the frogs don't keep me from falling asleep - but it doesn't lull me to sleep either, for me, it is just this unnatural sound and silence would be much more tranquil, especially in Hawaii. If I wake up in the middle of the night - that is when they bother me more to fall back asleep - I just say to myself, really - can't you shut up now.

Rooster are a big problem - I always wake up when they start - there are some wild ones where I live - not next door - not even blocks away - but the sound carries so far - so annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Yes the roosters are quite surprising when I first visited Big Island. What about peacocks? I don't recall hearing those as much on your island as the other islands. They were pretty loud too.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
The problem I hear is that they are monotonous. What is needed is a few big bull frogs and a couple of different tree frogs and a barn owl, so it goes

Boom, coqui coqui, who? ribbit ribbit, peep, boom coqui coqui who? ribbit ribbit peep.

Instead of coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui coqui...........

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,055 times
Guess what, we have bull frogs (Bufos) and barn owls. Also the little native Pueo owl. I haven't heard any of those since the coqui took over, they drown out everything else.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Guess what, we have bull frogs (Bufos) and barn owls. Also the little native Pueo owl. I haven't heard any of those since the coqui took over, they drown out everything else.
This is what people simply don't understand about this issue from a distance... these little suckers are LOUD! And it's an intrusive, piercing frequency, and it's incessant. It's not like amped up tree frogs. It's not like anything I ever encountered on the mainland other than mechanical noises, like the squeal of El Trains turning corners in Chicago maybe.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I vividly remember the first time I went to Hilo a couple of years ago - I had meetings all day going at varying places. One meeting was after hours at a clinic around 6:30 or so - when the doctors who I had to meet with could all be in one place. Met a coworker in the parking lot - first thing I said was, what is that NOISE - I didn't even know there was a frog problem on the Big Island - and I'd venture to say, most people even in Hawaii don't understand the gravity of the situation. Needless to say we continued the conversation indoors.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM

113 posts, read 397,144 times
Nearby train whistle, cars revving and honking in the street, air force base fighter jets, and! army base choppers on a daily basis here, now thats unnatural...

I'll take a few frogs and some jungle noise over what I got now any day

HONK!!!! CHOOO CHOOO!!! ZOOOOOM!!!! CHOP, CHOP, CHOP, CHOP, CHOP!!!!!! all day and night....

can't wait for raindrops and frogs...

Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Gyva, when you move here and live amongst the coquis, please come back to City-Data and tell us truthfully how much you enjoy it. Like OpenD said, "people simply don't understand about this issue from a distance".

Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Do coqui frogs affect real estate prices?
Although there has been expressed by some a willingness to buy in a coqui infested area, going back to the OP, the answer is "yes" it will affect prices. Also, having a coqui frog infestation on your property and/or neighboring property can affect the "sellability". Not everyone will be interested in buying a house in a coqui-noisy area, some people, like me, would not do it.

Don't fear, not everywhere on the island has a coqui problem. For investment purposes, I'd recommend concentrating on the many quiet areas.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
365 days a year.
Thats quite a season!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island