Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM

113 posts, read 397,144 times

Advertisements

ha ha... will do

But I always see the glass half full, not half empty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
ha ha... will do

But I always see the glass half full, not half empty.

I think it is one of your other senses (hearing) that will get the workout.

My advice, Get sound-cancelling headphones at Costco.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM

113 posts, read 397,144 times
alrighty guys, I guess we're a tougher breed up here in Idaho,

I will give honest feedback once I'm there and experience all the Hawaii "horrors" first hand.

*chuckles*

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
alrighty guys, I guess we're a tougher breed up here in Idaho, I will give honest feedback once I'm there and experience all the Hawaii "horrors" first hand. *chuckles*
The OP asked a question about real estate prices, and there are those of us who live here who have given our opinion(s). The OP can follow the lead of whichever posters he wants, but I'd go with the folks that have firsthand knowledge.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Gyva, when you move here and live amongst the coquis, please come back to City-Data and tell us truthfully how much you enjoy it. Like OpenD said, "people simply don't understand about this issue from a distance".
I wonder if some of the east coast forums are having the same discussions about cicadas. They have unusual life cycles where the can be relatively quiet for 13 or 17 years, and then emerge from the ground by the millions with their deafening noise (at 120 db, comparable to a coqui, but imagine millions of them instead of thousands). Every so often the 13 and 17 year cycles happen concurrently and the noise is truly overpowering.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,145,120 times
I live on the east coast and have dealt with cicada years. With cicadas you tend to forget about them. They don't last that long and different areas are hit in different years. We have spring peepers here and thankfully they don't last too long either. So I have never heard of either being a factor in real estate. If you have a nightclub next door, that does affect real estate. Coqui frogs seem to have more the effect of a night club (maybe a retro disco theme where they give everyone free whistles) than peepers or cicadas. So it makes sense many people want to avoid it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I wonder if some of the east coast forums are having the same discussions about cicadas. They have unusual life cycles where the can be relatively quiet for 13 or 17 years,
I grew up in Chicago and when I was a kid in the early 70's the cicada's were pretty bad - and it didn't seem nearly as bad when the next cycle in 1990. I was visiting my parents at that time and maybe when you are older that don't seem so terrible.

In the bad year, you couldn't walk on the sidewalk where I lived without the sound of crunch crunch crunch from stepping on them. They fly on you but don't bite. People even eat them - no thanks on that. Big difference though is the long cycle and when they come out it is fairly brief.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Since the coquis seem to be mostly in the lava flow areas, it would be difficult to decide whether it is coquis or the possibility of being buried under hot lava that has the most effect on real estate prices.

If it is coquis, then it is not possible to say how much they affect prices, because they blanket an area. You can't compare a house without them to a house right next door that has them. Both houses will be affected by the noise. Also, you can't compare a coqui property in Puna to a coqui-free property in Wiamea. There are other reasons for the price differences that have nothing to do with coqui frogs.

So, do they affect real estate prices? How would you know?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,145,120 times
One way they affect real estate is when some buyers won't visit a property with coqui frogs. That makes the pool of buyers smaller for that property. And others that visit, but reduce their offer by what they estimate it will cost to get rid if them.

Lava only bothers some people by making insurance more expensive. Same is true for folks that want to be by a shore/on a cliff/next to a river. Some folks even want to rebuild in the same spot after being flooded or hit by a hurricane. Does it make sense? Not all the time.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since the coquis seem to be mostly in the lava flow areas, it would be difficult to decide whether it is coquis or the possibility of being buried under hot lava that has the most effect on real estate prices.
They are not comparable. Again, you need to actually experience them to understand.

And no, coquis are not limited to lava flow areas. They go anywhere they can find the damp underbrush they live in. And they are adapting and spreading, whereas lava flow areas are relatively fixed.

I've experienced cicadas in peak years on the mainland. I've heard that the murder rate in the South goes up in such peak years, because people go mad from the sound. I can understand that feeling. Coquis are much worse.

Quote:
If it is coquis, then it is not possible to say how much they affect prices, because they blanket an area.
Real estate professionals and University of Hawai'i researchers have done detail assessments of this situation for years and concluded that indeed, people are not willing to pay as much for property where coquis are present, and some will not buy at any price, so they definitely depress real estate values.

Once you are in Hawai'i, you'll have a much better idea what all the fuss is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island