Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM

130 posts, read 234,972 times

Advertisements

Nature always goes through boom and bust cycles. Inevitably some other critter or disease will come along to control the coqui's before Hawai'i sinks under their mass. Of course "inevitably" can be a long time to us impatient and short-lived humans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerluli View Post
Nature always goes through boom and bust cycles. Inevitably some other critter or disease will come along to control the coqui's before Hawai'i sinks under their mass. Of course "inevitably" can be a long time to us impatient and short-lived humans...
Yeah, the current estimate is something like 2-4 million years before the waves lap over the top of Mauna Kea.

The rats haven't found a natural control since the first outriggers brought them, and neither have the mongooses or the strawberry guava. There's a heck of a lot that really does not belong here, but which somehow manages to prosper.

I suppose we might be included on that list.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,586,037 times
But the mongeese were brought over to control the rat population. Talk about lame ideas. Ranks right up there with bringing hedgerow over as an alternative to building fences.

Aloha

Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,498,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
But the mongeese were brought over to control the rat population. Talk about lame ideas.
The idea was doomed from the beginning, because mongooses are active during the day and rats are active at night. Duhhh!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,940,135 times
In my two purchases, when the realtor brought out that coqui disclosure form I had to chuckle. Coqui frogs are so umbiquitos I believe they do NOT affect real estate values. You don't tend to find them in the dry hot areas or the high cold areas. The folks that reside in those areas have picked those areas because of the climate they offer. If you want a "jungle like" area you are going to have coqui frogs. If you don't have them now, you WILL. In my case I didn't have to visit the property at night to hear whether or not there were coqui frogs, I just assumed that I would hear them. I do recommend visiting a potential purchase at night however. Especially Friday nights at about 9 pm. To see how loud the meth heads are. And again at 0400 am to hear how loud the roosters are. As far as dogs go, you have two types- the type that yap yap yap incessantly, and the type that bark bark bark whenever they think somebody is nearing "their" driveway. The third type- the silent type, is a myth or fairy tale.

Any potential buyer who is looking for a quiet slice of tropical paradise is deluding themselves. If you want quiet, shop in the desolate barren wastelands of Ka'u.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,818,572 times
To each their own in choices and opinions.

Thanks goodness we all get to choose to move where we want. And that we are able to make the choice to either do enough research or to NOT do research, to find the place that is right for ourselves.

Thank goodness also there are many different environments, temperatures, altitudes, etc to choose from. A city is right for some, and rain and lushness is right for some, and solitude is right for some, and a dry clear sky is right for some, etc. Quiet is right for some, and noise is right for some.

I'd surmise that folks who think coqui frogs do not affect land value are more likely to be those who own coqui infested land. But believe me when I say there are a ton of folks (including me) who would NOT choose coqui infested property, and having all us folks eliminated from the "potential resell" pool DOES affect property values.

This thread illustrates the many different situations that are found on this island, and similar differences are found in all of Hawaii.

By the way, coqui frogs ARE controllable if caught early enough and there are community efforts put in to place. There are many locations on the Big Island that have successfully kept coqui under control. There are organized and successful efforts in places such as Hamakua, Kohala, Waimea, and areas in South Kona. Research is the key, and having a knowledgeable and truthful realtor. (Or, perhaps you like coqui noise, in which case quiet is not issue, although environmentally coqui are damaging regardless.)

Last edited by CyberCity; 02-03-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Is there any doubt that if the frogs weren't there then land and home values wouldn't be as depressed around Hilo than they are today? Loud and shrieking frogs in an otherwise tranquil area will have an impact. Just as the meth labs and barking dogs do.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Yep WHT. Hey, I think I hear the mantra right now off in the distance:
"Never buy sight unseen".

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
"Never buy sight unseen".
I don't buy that people buy sight unseen on the BI. With the glut of real estate it doesn't pass the reasonable person test even on this forum. I saw the silly thread with all the trees and I don't buy it.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM

It's been about 5 years since I met a person who I personally know bought a house sight unseen (right before the prices took a dive), and they paid top dollar for their place! They still complain how their realtor mislead them (not that they were remiss in not seeing it themself). Sadly, I think more of those type folks are lurking in cyberspace, waiting to make a big mistake. [And ditto for those who sign a rental lease, sight unseen, watch for the OUCH that might come later.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island