Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, are coquis on the other Hawaiian islands well?

It seems I hear of them most on the Big Island.
Coqui frogs have been found on Maui, Oʻahu, and Kauaʻi as well.
Coqui Frog- Hawaii Early Detection Network
Control of Coqui Frog in Hawai'i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's at least partly because the situations are very different. For one thing, in PR there are many natural predators to keep them in check, whereas in Hawai'i there are no natural predators, so their population is exploding, and they are severely impacting the local ecology, as well as becoming an invasive pest.
There's no difference between Hawaii and PR when it comes to the frogs .... The sound is the same!!!!! I've lived in PR miss the sound of the frogs !! Some of The people in Hawaii Are just exaggerating / or not used to the sound of them!! Get over it !!!!!!!! I would rather hear the frogs over the sound of honking cars helicopters and blazing music!!!
We're turning into a society where the sound of cars and music is more acceptable than the sounds of nature
You don't like the sound of the frogs then leave the island move to the bronx ny ...... Will see how much you be completed complaining about the frogs then!!!!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Rue, the frogs do affect the price of real estate - which is the topic of this thread. There is a required disclosure form, I believe. Which should indicate the level of annoyance that they cause.

However, if we are doing a copy and paste sort of thing, here's the reply from the other thread as well. For those of you who read the other thread, you don't have to read the rest:

Ah, Rue, you're not from around here, are you? Puerto Rico has snakes to help eat the frogs and their frogs are minuscule compared to the ones here. When coqui frogs get to be several inches long, they get several times louder, too. Why should we get used to them? Coqui are not from around here and other than annoying the humans, they are also harming the native frogs and insects.

They cover up the sounds of nature, too. We no longer hear the calls of the birds as they settle in to sleep, the wind in the coconut trees, the rumble and sigh of the surf. All we hear are CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE CO-KEE E (you get the picture by now) incessently.

Hawaii houses are frequently single wall structures (one board's thickness between the folks inside and everything outside) so sounds carry really well. Folks like to have their plants and gardens near their houses. Put that together with two or three inch long really loud screaming frogs and it's not good. So, we should remove all the gardens from around our houses so the frogs will be further away? So we should wear ear plugs to sleep?

We had to move out of our other house that was by a gulch since we couldn't keep the frogs far enough away that we could sleep at night. Even wearing ear plugs, they were too loud. Now we are in town surrounded by other houses who are vigilant about keeping frogs out of the neighborhood. Rather like circling the wagons under an attack, don't you think?

Coqui frogs belong in Puerto Rico, if you feel sorry for the frogs, start a relocation service to gather them up and ship them back, but I'm betting that Puerto Rice doesn't want the new and much bigger frogs, either.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:03 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Coquis on the Kona side: When it's dry in the winter you barely notice them. After a rain (and only at night) they are calling. They quiet down after midnight though.

They don't bother us and we would have bought our house with or without them.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
When we were in Naʻālehu it was cute to hear one or two off in the distance.

However, when we were surrounded by what seemed like MILLIONS of them in Hilo...

Maybe if we lived in Hilo we would get used to the sound.
Maybe.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Maybe if we lived in Hilo we would get used to the sound.
Maybe.
You wouldn't.

What is odd to me is nobody can come up with the economics to build a hotel with proper insulation against the sound. I'd think they'd have high occupancy and higher room rates for the privilege. All the hotels are pre-coqui and it seems like an opportunity.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
I believe the frogs are an example of how we need to be more on the ball about keeping foreign influences from effecting our fragile ecological system. Also its an example of how foreign influences effect the fragile balance of Hawai'i.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:37 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I believe the frogs are an example of how we need to be more on the ball about keeping Foreign influences from effecting our fragile ecological system. Also its an example of how foreign influences effect the fragile balance of Hawai'i.
bumping an ancient post, but I think the Coqui was 'introduced' to Hawai'i circa 1988 via Nursery plants from Puerto Rico.

The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico has been a part of the United States since 1898..ergo not 'foreign' in the literal sense.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Just use a loud fan and a white noise app from your phone. I would imagine that would drown out the sound?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I believe the frogs are an example of how we need to be more on the ball about keeping foreign influences from effecting our fragile ecological system. Also its an example of how foreign influences effect the fragile balance of Hawai'i.
Fortunately Hawaii is surrounded by water and lots of it. Assimilation is not a bad thing after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island