U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM

502 posts, read 917,407 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that is one reason I love Big Island so much. It is less crowded that Oahu. You can quickly disappear down a trail into oblivion. ( I like that word.) You can get in touch with your inner most thoughts and hear things inside your head that you just dont hear or consider when in a crowd. Can anyone relate ?
Lots of love
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Super quiet places are invaluable .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM

30,229 posts, read 41,327,537 times
With all those jungles, it would definitely be possible to get lost to the point of death.

Just judging from news articles, a large proportion of the general public doesn't have enough sense to know that they aren't knowledgeable enough to take off into the wilderness.

If what OP is talking about is some solitude and connecting with nature, then 5 gold stars for that concept.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

76 posts, read 145,467 times
Quote:
Just judging from news articles, a large proportion of the general public doesn't have enough sense to know that they aren't knowledgeable enough to take off into the wilderness.
It is very easy to get lost in the wilderness. There are always those search and rescues going on to prove that point. Also people tend to think they are capable of more than they actually are.
For example, rock climbing or thinking going on a 7 mile hike is no problem without taking the terrain/altitude into consideration. General common sense is lacking. Pack necessities like water, food, flashlight, mirror, matches, extra clothing like a rain jacket gps is nice if you know how to use it but doesn't help you if you get hurt.
At least always let someone know where you are going and when you intend to return.

On the flip side,
Quote:
If what OP is talking about is some solitude and connecting with nature, then 5 gold stars for that concept
I personally love the sound of the wind whispering through the pine needles.

Quote:
Super quiet places are invaluable
Truly quiet places are very rare. More and more the quiet gets interrupted by the noise of cars, guns (target shooting) teenagers looking for an out of the way place to party...

Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Soooooo Soooorrry I did not mean go running willy nilly down a rabbit trail until you really git yurself lozt for crying out loud. I mean even for a casual hiker, it is fun to go into the forest just far enough to be away from the crowd. Sit down by a tree with your head gear music on and relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx. Knowing that you are about 500 feet or so back to where you came from. Compass, something nice to drink, some food, and moi. I am grateful that I have an extra sense that allows me to find these places. I remember as a kid growing up in NYC, I could get on a bus, ride to Bear Mountain NY (upstate), and get off with a small day back pack, sleeping bag. Go wander off in the forest by myself; sleep that night along side of a tree, wake up to find blueberry bushes around me in fruit. Then noticing 2 deer walking by me towards a stream to drink that early morning. ( no kidding !) Then I went down a trail a mile and found a pipe with pure water coming out of it that I drank (still here); found a pond to go swimming in for a few hours, then collected old glass insullators from abandoned wood telephone arms. ( no longer in use ) At the end of the day and after finishing the dried fruit and bee pollen granules I brought, I returned home via the bus.

But I love doing this in Hawaii as well, getting away from the crowds for a time.

Last edited by mangodog; 03-06-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM

312 posts, read 1,322,161 times
Being able to visit places without crowds of people IS one of the best things about The Big Island, absolutely. I prefer to hear the sound of the world around me, as music can tune out the world while walking down a highway; why not enjoy the sounds you don't get to hear so often like the trees, wind, birds, waves... <3

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Yeah, Isnt Hawaii the BEST !

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM

13 posts, read 44,691 times
I visited the Big Island a few years ago and loved it. I toured the botanical gardens, visited the painted church and walked through a lava tunnel. Time to plan another vaca...lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Tell me what other places on earth jazz you as much as Hawaii.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM

11,888 posts, read 16,041,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Tell me what other places on earth jazz you as much as Hawaii.
The French Riviera is a must see in the area between Cannes, Juan-les-Pins, Monte Carlo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island