Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 4,303 times

Advertisements

We bought a home in Ainaloa and will be moving from Honolulu next year. Does anyone have advice on how to move household goods and power tools cheaply. It would all fit in a 20 foot Pod but Pod doesn't go to the Big Island. The moving companies are giving outrageous quotes based on weight not cube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:58 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Box it up and take it to Young Brothers and put it in with General Freight. Or you can rent a small G-van (is that the name they use? It's a small 8' x 8' x 8' shipping container) and it's not that expensive to ship inter-island. Of course, you'll have to load it in on one end and unload it at the other.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM

Anyone know what a G-van is, I can't find anything on Google about it. U-haul U-Box only goes to Kona and they won't let you truck your containers to your house to unload them, you have to bring a truck to their warehouse and unload the containers into a truck and then take them to your house and unload again! I'm looking for a company that will bring the 20' container to the house, let us pack it full and then pick it up and take it to the dock and then in Hilo truck it to Pahoa. I just don't want to be charged $1 a pound to have them pack it all for me and load and unload it, we would rather do the work ourselves and save the money.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwernet View Post
Anyone know what a G-van is, I can't find anything on Google about it..
I don't know either, so I'd call Young Brothers.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:31 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I think we rented a container directly from Young Brothers. A trucking company brought it out and parked it for a day or two at the house, we loaded things in. (hand trucks and a ramp are really good things). Then it was shipped to the Island of Hawaii, and another trucking company (I think it was Conen's) brought it to our new house and we had several days to unload it. I think we had them drop it off on a Friday and they came to pick it back up on Monday. If it takes longer, then they charge some additional rent for the container.

The other option is to buy a container from those folks down near Sand Island and then either keep it (although Ainaloa lots are pretty small and some subdivisions have rules about keeping containers on your lot) or sell it on Craig's List afterwards. If you get a high ceiling insulated container, there's a demand for those over here. Then you'd be able to take a lot longer to unload the container and if it were something you could keep on your lot, it could also be used afterwards for storage or a shed or whatever.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
20' containers are in such demand here that many of the ones available are 40' containers that have been cut in half and had doors added. At least, that was the case 5 years ago.

If buying a container, make sure it has a valid engineer's certificate or the barge company won't touch it. Many of the ones for sale are for sale because they are considered past or nearing their end of seaworthiness.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for the information. I will be renting a container from Young Brothers for sure. The moving companies are too expensive!

Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Do you care to share the fees they are charging?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM

We are moving next year. Just getting prepared. When I get it all put together I'll see if I can remember to post.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 PM

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island