Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 32,495 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this forum site and have been doing research on the Hilo area. I plan on living in Hilo next year and have some questions that I have not found answers to yet. Here are the questions. Feel free to leave any additional comments as well!

Are there any white sand beaches near Hilo or along the Hamakua Coast?
Approximately how far is Hapuna Beach from Hilo?
How is the crime there?
Is it true about white mainland having a hard time fitting in?
I know it rains a lot, but does it rain all day, every day?
How is the surfing around the Hilo area?

Thanks !
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 AM

144 posts, read 733,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colldp68 View Post
How is the crime there?

Thanks !
Dan
White sand beaches - the only one I know of the Onekahakaha beach in Hilo. It is a locals beach.

Hapuna is about 60 miles from Hilo. It is known for it's rip currents so be careful.

If you're laid back and nice, you shouldn't have any problem fitting in.

It rains almost every day. But not all day.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,315,454 times
Quote:
Hello! I am new to this forum site and have been doing research on the Hilo area. I plan on living in Hilo next year and have some questions that I have not found answers to yet. Here are the questions. Feel free to leave any additional comments as well!

How is the crime there?

Thanks !
Dan
There aren't any white sand beaches like what you're thinking. On the Hilo side it's more about in the water activities.

Hapuna is the closest "Hawaii Postcard" beach and it's over 2 hours away. I've been going there since I was a kid and it's my favorite beach in the world. It's stunning and yes, it can have a rip tide at times but so can pretty much anywhere on the island.

Crime isn't bad. Mostly drugs and property crimes and some domestic violence. Nothing big. Really cheap property and rentals are usually really cheap for a reason.

Fitting in for Haoles...depends where you come from, your attitude and what you expect. Come with respect and tread lightly.

It rains pretty much every day but mostly at night. It can rain for days at a time, this usually happens in the winter. It can rain biblically. Mornings are usually sunny.

Big Island isn't known for it's great surfing, specifially the East Side. Honolii is a popular surf spot as well as Pohoiki.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 11,740 times
8/22/11 -My daughter just started to work with a Cruise Line. They travel from port to port in Hawaii. Which part of Hawaii is the most safest place for her to get off from? She has mentioned that one or two place had high crime rate. The ship travels to Maui, Kauai, Kona, Hilo and Honolulu. I want to find a post office in a safe town so that she can get a post office box for herself. Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 PM

81 posts, read 219,783 times
Default Hawaii is safe

I live just outside of Hilo but have lived On Maui and near Honolulu as well. they are all safe. I would only use caution perhaps in Honolulu in the evening hours since it is a big city. It's quite a walk from the dock in Hilo to town, I'm sure they have some sort of transportation for crew. Don't worry...Hawaii is a pretty safe place. Angela

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,740 times
Thank you Angela. The ship doesn't provide transportation. They are on their own when they leave the ship. I need to find a safe area in Hawaii where things aren't too far from the ship. I need to find a post office for her.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

97 posts, read 278,021 times
There is a post office near the airport in Hilo which is about 3 miles by car from the Hilo port. She could always take a cab.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 PM

129 posts, read 387,491 times
Quote:
Are there any white sand beaches near Hilo or along the Hamakua Coast
Nope. See other comments about Hapuna. The Big Island in general, and Hilo side in particular, is "beach poor" by Hawaii standards.
Quote:
How is the crime there?
Not as bad as the local media would suggest. There's a lot of interest in crime, which makes it seem worse than it really is.
Quote:
Attitude is everything. Lots of tourists have an attitude that locals are there to serve them and make their vacation enjoyable. Others express an attitude like "Hawaii is part of the United States, so I have a right to be here". Others come from the mainland to be bums, grow pot and put a strain on the social services. If you're decent, respectful and make an effort to assimilate, you'll be OK. Race is NOT an issue. It's all about attitude.
Quote:
Typical Hilo weather is like this: The sun rises, and moisture evaporates, forms clouds. Then it rains. The sky clears, the sun comes out, evaporates the rain, forms clouds and it rains again. This cycle repeats until mid morning, then it's sunny until late afternoon, as the clouds creep down the mountain. In the early evening, it will rain. Through the night, it'll rain on and off. Most days are sunny for most of the day.

OTOH, there are a few storms that pass by during the year, when it WILL rain all day, every day for a week or three. And super hard at times, too.

FUN FACT: Hilo officially has the biggest raindrops in the world. A few thousand feet up, it's hail. Just be glad it's rain and not hail when it reaches the ground.

The rain is what keeps Hilo so green. Three days without rain is a drought.
Quote:
Not the best. Just a few mediocre breaks is all. There are no "great" surf breaks on the Island like Maui, Oahu and Kauai have.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0405 View Post
8/22/11 -My daughter just started to work with a Cruise Line. They travel from port to port in Hawaii. Which part of Hawaii is the most safest place for her to get off from? She has mentioned that one or two place had high crime rate. The ship travels to Maui, Kauai, Kona, Hilo and Honolulu. I want to find a post office in a safe town so that she can get a post office box for herself. Thank you so much for your help!!
This should probably have been it's own topic, IMHO, especially since the topic is Hilo.

All the mail coming into the islands goes to Oahu first. There is a post office within easy walking distance from where the cruise ships dock in Honolulu and it's a fairly safe walk especially since the cruise ships are usually there during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island