Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 12,291 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I'm new to the forum and have been reading about crime in and around Puna. I live in Flint, Michigan one of the worst cities for crime and murder in the US and the rest of my family lives in Chicago. But we know our way around our cities. Where to go and where not to go. I don't know much about "meth" addicts but I know a ton about "crack-heads".
My friends and family are coming to the Big Island next June and we are a large group. Some of us have rented houses in Pepeekeo and others in Hilo and Keaau.
We are spread out because each family found different things that attracted them to each area.
We are wondering if the crime is mostly non-violent or should we worry about maybe having to do hand-to-hand combat as some of us have had to do in our cities?
Really we just want advise on the best way to keep everybody safe and to make sure nothing gets stolen in the houses, cars or on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:15 PM

144 posts, read 733,864 times
No need to worry about violent crime, much less hand to hand combat. Sure, lock your car when you stop at the parks and waterfalls. Crime in HI is mostly break ins and burglaries.

I just got back from Hilo. I didn't see a single meth head in my time there. Just some surfers smoking pot at the beach and they were totally mellow.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,572,529 times
We have been to the BI a dozen times and have never, ever encountered any crime.

However, as in travel anywhere, you must be vigilant. There are occasional break-ins. Tips to follow:

1. don't leave anything of value in sight in your car. Either take valuables with you wherever you go, or lock them in the trunk.

2. If you go to the beach, don't leave your wallet sitting on top of your beach towel while everyone in your party goes in the water. (seems like common sense, but it does happen).

3. When driving down the road and you see a sign that says "kapu" or keep out, keep driving. They want you to keep out for a reason, and you don't need to go there.

4. There are beaches that are frequented by locals, especially on the weekends. While most of them are very friendly family groups, you may encounter some wannabees who want haoles to stay out. Just pay attention to the vibe, and move on if you feel uncomfortable.

Enjoy your vacation. You will have a great time!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM

59 posts, read 311,182 times
You and your group have nothing to concern yourself with. Though, take the advice of watching the "vibe" of the beaches ( mainly in Hilo ) on the weekends / evenings. While incidents do happen, they are rare.

Your family will find the Big Island to be very laid back and generally accepting.

Greg

Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,672 times
I used to live on Oahu and when we first moved there in 1985 we lived at the Hawaiian Princess, a 14 story beautiful on the beach condo. What we found there was predjudice against whites (haules) and Japanese tourists. They were mad that they had taken their fishing places and put in condos and hotels etc. A friend of mine from NJ was there on his honeymoon and got beat up for just looking at a local. Another man came into the store where I was shopping yelling that he had been robbed of his wallet while on the beach and while his wallet was on him. We heard a seminar going on where they were talking about the horrible tourists and how they were going to get rid of them....we snuck out. My husband was sitting on a bus stop and he is blonde and he had beer cans thrown at him. Then we moved to Waikiki after about a year and it stopped. They make their money on tourists there. Lived on Maui for awhile but it was a little too serene for my liking. After you have lived in Waikiki, and see all the action, Maui bores you....at least it did me.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,000 times
Aloha, I know this is a very serious subject but I have to tell you all a very funny story about my first encounter w/'locals'. I had just moved to Maui, maybe 20 years ago. My roomy and I were living in a hotel. I was working hard in many flower shops and he was working at 'La Familia Restaurant' as a waiter. Anyone remember that place? Onolicious Maui Wowie nachos...anyway. One afternoon we were taking in the sites of Wailuku and stumbled across an out of the way little local diner. We ordered and were so totally enjoying what now turns out to be our first 'plate lunch'..mmmmmm.. anyway, so there we were, eating and having a terrific meal. Half of the Diner was partitioned off due to a meeting of some sort that was taking place. After hearing 'haole' over and over again and a few rumbles we started to feel abit odd. We were about 1/2 way through our lunch when the conference ended and the owner of the Diner walked past us...looked at us very seriously and then slowly pulled the partition back. Well, who do you suppose was standing there? One guess and you will never guess it. It was the entire Maui Police Department! There were big and very mean looking. We dropped our chop sticks and slinked out of that diner w/out finishing our meal even though I'm sure the $20 bill I slapped on the table more than paid for it all. Had to share it.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,534,333 times
Yea, lunch at La Familia, then walk up Vineyard for a beer at the Vineyard Tavern. Da good old days! Wouldn't worry about the Big Island, or any Island for that matter. Except for maybe Kahoolawe in say, 1976???????

Hey Koale, think the "diner" you mentioned was the old Naokes Restaurant? By the overpass in Wailuku.
Name ring a bell??????

Aloha and okolemaluna

Last edited by Jungjohann; 11-13-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM

144 posts, read 733,864 times
This reminds me. One time I was with my husband and my local friends at the Jimmy's Drive In in Hilo. There was a bunch of rowdy locals there and we were getting the stink eye.

Fortunately one of my friends knew someone across the room and give him/her a big "howzit" and chatted with them for a while. This eased the stink eye substantially but I mean really, that's my hometown and I used to go to Jimmy's with my family from when I was a kid.

Sure, I look like I'm from Honolulu or something but jeez.... Anyway, I never went back to Jimmy's which is too bad cause the food was ono!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

203 posts, read 1,355,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Aloha, I know this is a very serious subject but I have to tell you all a very funny story about my first encounter w/'locals'. I had just moved to Maui, maybe 20 years ago. My roomy and I were living in a hotel. I was working hard in many flower shops and he was working at 'La Familia Restaurant' as a waiter. Anyone remember that place? Onolicious Maui Wowie nachos...anyway. One afternoon we were taking in the sites of Wailuku and stumbled across an out of the way little local diner. We ordered and were so totally enjoying what now turns out to be our first 'plate lunch'..mmmmmm.. anyway, so there we were, eating and having a terrific meal. Half of the Diner was partitioned off due to a meeting of some sort that was taking place. After hearing 'haole' over and over again and a few rumbles we started to feel abit odd. We were about 1/2 way through our lunch when the conference ended and the owner of the Diner walked past us...looked at us very seriously and then slowly pulled the partition back. Well, who do you suppose was standing there? One guess and you will never guess it. It was the entire Maui Police Department! There were big and very mean looking. We dropped our chop sticks and slinked out of that diner w/out finishing our meal even though I'm sure the $20 bill I slapped on the table more than paid for it all. Had to share it.
Ah no worries now. The Maui county police chief is haole

Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM

548 posts, read 2,091,309 times
I lived in Hilo on the Big Island for a year, about 12 years ago. One of the most hostile places I've ever been. Very stratified racially/ethnically. Hawaiians tolerate the tourist/haole dollars, but do not like if you stay. I wouldn't return there if you paid me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island